ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   298 ib/ft of torque (classic impreza) (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/505020-298-ib-ft-of-torque-classic-impreza.html)

ade_sti 04 April 2006 12:33 AM

298 ib/ft of torque (classic impreza)

I have a 99 plate impreza with the following engine mods :-

HKS full system and down pipe (de-cat)
Prodrive ECU

The car achieved 283 bhp and 298 ft/lb of torque at Prosport 2 weeks ago on both power runs- is this right? Has my car got other mods I don't know about as this seems a bit high to me or are the rollers way out?

cheers Ade

EVOLUTION 04 April 2006 12:56 AM

is it a UK spec classic?

if so, seems t be making alot of power, seems high for a PPP classic to be honest

StiX 04 April 2006 08:21 AM

Seems really high.

I have a MY00, magnex cat-back, ninja sports cat dp, JR filter.

Ecutek Tek3 recently and 273bhp/272lbft.

I thought the Prodrive gave 240ish?

New_scooby_04 04 April 2006 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by ade_sti
I have a 99 plate impreza with the following engine mods :-

HKS full system and down pipe (de-cat)
Prodrive ECU

The car achieved 283 bhp and 298 ft/lb of torque at Prosport 2 weeks ago on both power runs- is this right? Has my car got other mods I don't know about as this seems a bit high to me or are the rollers way out?

cheers Ade

Does seem a little high mate. A full decat and Tek 3 only usually sees 270-280 bhp and similar lbs/ft torque. The TD04 is supposed to run out of puff around then too.

If the "bum dyno" is happy with the car then that's all that matters, though. :thumb:

Ns04

AlquarUK 04 April 2006 11:58 AM

is this a UK or JDM?
WRX or WRX STi?

fanx :)

The Chief 04 April 2006 12:49 PM

Prosports rollers to tend to over read a little compared to say Powerstations.

at a rolling road recently my buddies astra sri turbo put out 212bhp.

also atmospheric pressure and temp on the day can affect readings also.

scotty400 04 April 2006 01:05 PM

sounds like u walked away with a big smile on ur face

ade_sti 04 April 2006 05:35 PM

it is a uk spec car - owned by a guy who worked at Prodrive - guy who did the RR said that the torque was really high, but i don't know why - car seems standard apart from exhaust and prodrive ECU - anyone got any ideas why power is so good?

Tidgy 04 April 2006 05:37 PM

ahhhh, you said it yourself dude, owned by someone who worked at prodrive, woldn't be surprised if it had a few little tweeks done.

but as said varies so much from one dyno to another

EVOLUTION 04 April 2006 05:41 PM

taking atmospheric pressures and discrepincies (sp) in to account, its still very high for what is essentialy a UK classic with PPP. What RR did he use, does prodrive have there own facilities??? if so, one would think they would be pretty much spot on giving there line of business

john

ade_sti 04 April 2006 06:53 PM

Yeah, Prosports own rollers, did 2 runs and got same on both runs. The car has not even got the intercooler pipe just the ECU put on by himself. I'm really happy with the car, just would be nice to know what it has had done.

Gillp95 04 April 2006 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by The Chief
Prosports rollers to tend to over read a little compared to say Powerstations.

at a rolling road recently my buddies astra sri turbo put out 212bhp.

also atmospheric pressure and temp on the day can affect readings also.

And your scooby got 231bhp on that day ! ! ;)

hades 04 April 2006 08:46 PM

Torque could also be a product of faulty gear ratios keyed into the rollers. The rollers actually measure bhp at the wheels against roadspeed, then try to measure drag (rolling resistance) to extrapolate flywheel bhp. If they don't have something physically measuring the revs, they'll estimate it using the nominal calculated gear ratio before they can come up with a torque figure. If they used the wrong number there, you can get a skewed torque figure (too high or too low, depending on what wrong number was used)

Dracoro 04 April 2006 10:55 PM

Did you get the graph? If those are the figures, that means it produces max power at a little over 5000 rpm. Is it bored out with a smaller stroke?

ade_sti 04 April 2006 11:08 PM

am gettin the graph at the weekend, their printer was bust, but they saved it for me. Is this unusual for a classic turbo?

THOMO 04 April 2006 11:42 PM

i would expect the turbo is not standard.and its possible the cams have been changed.it would be interesting to find what boost you where running.

Ayde 05 April 2006 12:27 AM

I got 265bhp and about 259ft/lb on Prosports rollers around 18 months back, car is a UK MY99 std ecu, full decat, k&n panel filter and STI 5 intercooler with the y-pipe. This was achieved on an SIDC rolling road day around 10 cars were run that day and they all achieved expected figures and figures similar to those achieved on other rolling roads, I was very suprised at my figures!:) Pete said that he does see cars achieving figures like that occaisionally with minor mods? The only way that I reckon that the figures are genuine is that I have come up against a few JDM WRX's and have had no trouble keeping up with them and can slowly get past most of them (obviousley though this is very hard to measure because it is immposible to know what the state of the car is and what mods they have)!

ZYRUSS 05 April 2006 12:31 AM

that sounds like a pretty respectable set of figures....

does seem high, probs a bit more work been done than is been let on mate TBH

ade_sti 05 April 2006 08:05 AM

I feel you must be right, gettin a boost gauge in a couple of weeks so will find out. Going back to Prosport for brackes in 2 weeks time and am going to ask them to have a look at the engine properly and see what might have been done. Cheers for all your replies. I knew the car was good as the day before I got this car I sold my I 02 plate sti UK with full system and it is quicker than that. Will have to see what I get at USC this year!

TAINTON 05 April 2006 08:08 AM

As suggested either there are other mods under that bonnet or Prosport RR is miles out

Mine went on the clinics RR > MY00PPP decat centre/vortex backbox

I only managed 232bhp (down on PPP's figure) and 250ft/lbs Torque but car pulls nicely so walked away fairly happy

Now with full decat just waiting on remap.

Andy Porter 05 April 2006 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by ade_sti
Yeah, Prosports own rollers, did 2 runs and got same on both runs. The car has not even got the intercooler pipe just the ECU put on by himself. I'm really happy with the car, just would be nice to know what it has had done.

Why dont you ask him !! :)

ade_sti 05 April 2006 10:30 AM

They were too busy to go into detail on the day but I have just rang the guy at Prosport and they told me that decat cars with remap can achieve this figure so that is what it must have. Thanks for stating the obvious cheers :)

sideways scooby 08 April 2006 08:34 PM

just had my00 uk turbo on the rollers at teg sport, with prodrive ecu, full decat, panel filter, samco intercooler hoses and it made 269.6 bhp and 270 lbft i was well chuffed, was only expecting 250bhp