ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Buying Rolex or Tag in Switzerland (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/504456-buying-rolex-or-tag-in-switzerland.html)

Edcase 01 April 2006 08:48 PM

Buying Rolex or Tag in Switzerland

I'm in the Swiss Alps at the moment, driving home (through Zurich) on Weds.

Would it be wrong to assume Switzerland would be notably cheaper than the UK to buy high-end watches?

It was my 30th bday last week and I fancy treating myself :)

thx
Ed

boxst 01 April 2006 08:58 PM

Hello

I can't answer your question directly, but Switzerland is obscenely expensive for almost everything else so I don't see why watches would be cheap there just because they are made locally.

Steve

Edcase 01 April 2006 09:16 PM

Yeah I also thought that might be the case, but I was sure I read something about someone buying cheap from geneva airport...

Lust4Life 01 April 2006 09:35 PM

Dubai is best for Rolex I've found.

Phil

cw42 01 April 2006 09:42 PM

I presumed the same edcase when I was over there last september, but found it not to be the case. I had a look round the few jewellers I could find, did the converstion to gbp, and found them to be ridiculously expensive :(
I did manage to pick up a very nice Certina F1 limited carbon fibre faced watch though, and it was only £350 :D

Edcase 01 April 2006 10:21 PM

thanks, saves me having to deal with parking and jewellery shop hunting on Weds! I can spend more time stopping off near reims to stock up on wine :)

stevebt 01 April 2006 11:45 PM

the cheapest place to buy a rolex is in an a tax free country :) i bought mine in the cayman islands and saved about £600 at the time, jersey might be ok but do they sell ROLEX???. to be honest rolex are a waste of cash as in the 10 years i have owned one if i include my insurance premium and my last service bill i have spent £1k for the privelege of just owning a rolex !!! so do you really think they are worth the money ???? plus as soon as you buy one and slap it on your wrist you think what a waste of cash ;) :D

Crapaud62 02 April 2006 08:46 AM

Yes, Jersey/Guernsey definately sell Rolex, they are common as muck and at VAT free prices. A relation of mine is manager in a jewellers and they sell lots to people over on holiday or business. Apparently, you might like to post the boxes etc back to your home address so that they are not in your luggage when you pass through Customs on the way home. Obviously, the jewellers would never condone this approach but they are very near the post office and might be able to help you with the packaging if you get my drift :)

You can look them up on the Rolex web site to place your order and simply fly in to collect it when available. There are 2 or 3 official dealers in each island.

Bobby Peru 02 April 2006 08:49 AM

Get yourself a Panerai, pure class.

Mal K 02 April 2006 11:29 AM

I was in Geneva last month and checked out the prices of a Tag F1 that I had bought in Singapore last year.
It was approx £200 cheaper than in the UK, I wouldn't say Switzerland is the cheapest place in the world to buy them but cheaper than the UK.