ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Mountain bike carriers (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/50345-mountain-bike-carriers.html)

Ritchie B 21 October 2001 03:57 PM

Hi

anyone know of a bike carrier which would fit a MY99 with OEM high level spoiler ?
Any pointers to a supplier contact would be much appreciated.

thanks

RITCHIE

HamsterWheel 21 October 2001 04:47 PM

Be very careful carrying bikes on the back : friend of mine recently had hers fall off on the M6. Carrying 3 bikes (including a £2.5k one). They bounced 30 feet in the air (according th the bloke in the car behind who they bounced over) and were all right-offs. Problem was probably that no matter how tight you do the things up, after a few hours at 80+ the attatchments wriggle loose a bit. Best to stop after an hour or so and re-tighten everything.

Oh, and you'll get about 25% less MPG with bikes on the back.

If you are going to go down this route, spend loads

PSI3 21 October 2001 05:53 PM

Been looking into the same thing the last couple of days, visited the local mountain bike shop - Noahs Ark (01453 884738) in Stroud,
One of the sales staff - Simon fitted a 3 cycle carrier very securely to my MY01 WRX which is fitted with a STi type spoiler.
Don't know what model the one he showed me was, but it cost £50.
Best bet is to ring them direct, they do mail order and have a website - www.noahsark.co.uk

simon

Chris Clayton 21 October 2001 10:45 PM

Richie,

I ordered a Thule roof rack system with mountain bike carriers
from a company called Lakeland roof box.
website at www.roofbox.com

They usually do a good deal on complete packages but thule isn't
cheap - mine was £240 with 2 velo-vice bike carriers.

I've got the tall Pro-drive spoiler and i couldnt find anyone
that would do a rear bike carrier for it.

One word about the thule is that it fits to the side gutters.
Seems strong enough but you have to be a bit careful not to
over tighten the bar feet and dent the guttering.

Cheers

Chris

HamsterWheel 22 October 2001 06:19 PM

Oh, and remember that a mountain bike is basically a load of expensive detachable components. Only a minutes work for a thief to strip a bike of it's expensive bits so be careful when stopping at service stations etc. This does happen, regularly.

Marin 22 October 2001 09:01 PM

I use a Rhode Gear rack on my MY99 RB5 with the standard high level wing. This clears by a good inch and in 2 1/2 years have had no problems even at 90mph. It is worth checking the straps occasionally on along journey. Try www.leisure-lakes.co.uk for a supplier.

Luke 22 October 2001 10:25 PM

"THULE "each and every time. As mentioned make sure you lock them up together. many have had top spec bikes nicked.Never use a cable type lock.Only a top spec Dlock like a "Kryptonite New York" etc.