ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Moving Out.. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/503211-moving-out.html)

super_si 28 March 2006 08:16 AM

Moving Out..

Started looking around i know this is a pretty broad area considering usages etc of ultilities.

But roughly, how much are bills etc moving costs, surveys, solicitors going to cost?

thanks for any input! Lived at home so cant appreciate the financial side just yet. So want a rough idea so i arent too shocked when i get on the market.

Cheers

Si

scoobyangel 28 March 2006 02:55 PM

alot

hth :D

jasey 28 March 2006 03:02 PM

You will be shocked - I was when I left home.

That was 25 years ago - when everything was much cheaper :eek:

penfold118 28 March 2006 03:42 PM

I moved a month ago, i will dig as many of the costs out when i get home, it was in the region of £4000 but the included a £2500 deposit.

paulg1979 28 March 2006 04:31 PM

I've just moved out and its bloody expensive. Solicitors are around a £500. Then stamp duty which is 1% of the properties value so if its £150000 you'll have to pay £1500. you also need to pay a percentange of the mortgage down as a deposit so you may need to pay 5% of the properties value unless you can find a mortgage broker who wiill give you a 100% mortgage. Try not to buy a leasehold apartment if you can help it as you get stitched up with ground rent and service charge each month which costs around £100 each month. I exchanged contracts today but its not going to be finished till september as I bought new and got a good deal on a first time buyer scheme which means they paid the first 5% of the mortgage for me which saved me £8100 and I only had to get a 95% mortgage. There are always hidden prices you find out along the way but its well worth it. I'm 25 and can't wait to have my own space, neither can my girlfriend.

Hope this helps.

Paul:)

Drunken Bungle Whore 28 March 2006 04:47 PM

Can I dispute the Leasehold costs? We're Leashold at the mo and only pay around £70 per year - plus we're not responsible for the buildings insurance - just make sure it has a really long lease though. Here's what it's costing us for the move we're currently in the middle of:

Solicitors £1000
Search Fees £500
Mortgage Survey £500
Removal Firm £800
Stamp Duty Depends on price of property 1% £125k - £250k 3% >£250k

You'll need to pay a 5% - 10% deposit on the day of exchange and have house insurance arranged.

Bit scary - but good to be thinking about it up front.

scoob_babe 28 March 2006 05:01 PM

Our leasehold costs were £18 per month when we moved out 3 years ago.
We also had to pay an admin charge to the property managers when we sold up too - another £223 on top of all the other expenses when you move on!

paulg1979 28 March 2006 06:04 PM

wish mine was that cheap. My service charge is £70 a month and ground rent is £30 a month. We have bought a 1 bedroom apartment. I think its pretty expensive but its the same everywhere around here. I suppose its because its greater london. Prices are pretty steep here. We paid £162,000 for the one bedroom. Its in an excellent location though. Its an exciting time.:)

InvisibleMan 30 March 2006 12:56 PM

thats why i thought ours was so good, annoying we had to drop the price so much but hey. Just dont understand why people are fine with buying similar properties but with these huge monthly charges...:freak3:

Kieran_Burns 30 March 2006 03:38 PM

DBW gets it pretty spot on there..

Our costs were similar - Oh, we're moving tomorrow!!!!

Mid chain don't actually pay a deposit as such - it kind of works its way up the chain. We didn't really have one as our buyer was a cash buyer (ish - got a mortgage for £20K, the rest was cash... £180,000! <gulp>) and our seller is moving out to rented while they find somewhere.

Solicitors £1000 (two houses @£500 each)
Survey £450
Arrangment fee £700 (GOOD rate of interest)
removal £420 (good guys, we used them before)
Stamp duty the usual 1% and the estate agents are charging us 1.25% + VAT - or they think they are... we're disputing the costs 'cos they were so crap.