ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Can a conventional GATSO catch you speeding from the front? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/502941-can-a-conventional-gatso-catch-you-speeding-from-the-front.html)

Goochie 27 March 2006 09:34 AM

Can a conventional GATSO catch you speeding from the front?

Went out to pick up the wife from town on Saturday night at gone 3am and drove past a GATSO I've been through many times before.

It is in a 30mph limit facing south. I was travelling NORTH at 40mph.

There is a hatched region in the middle of the road for cars turning right. The camera markings on the road are in all 3 "lanes"

The thing flashed in my face as I passed on the opposite side of the road to the camera. No one else around, I was doing 40mph.

Can they "get you" in this manner? Assuming I get a NIP through in the post is it worth challenging it?

Freak 27 March 2006 09:58 AM

Cant prosecute you

Dr Hu 27 March 2006 10:57 AM

Nope - I set them off facing me all the time. At least once a week.

Apparently they are not Home Office Approved for forwards facing or something like that.....as read somewhere on www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

Can't recommend this sport with the blue coloured Truvelo cameras though, as they ARE forward facing - easily spotted as they have red lenses for the infra red.

Tiggs 27 March 2006 11:16 AM

"Assuming I get a NIP through in the post is it worth challenging it?"

on what grounds?

New_scooby_04 27 March 2006 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Tiggs
"Assuming I get a NIP through in the post is it worth challenging it?"

on what grounds?

You won't; as Dr Hu says, they're not HO approved for forward facing prosecutions. Having something flash in your face is also hazzardous whilst driving....especially at speed LOL :lol1:

Slow down you hooligan!! :)

Ns04

Goochie 27 March 2006 11:37 AM

On the grounds that the device isnt diesgned/calibrated for catching me where I was and therefore they cant proove I was actually speeding.

It was 40mph at 3am in the morning.

Avi 27 March 2006 11:40 AM

I've set gatso's off many a time driving towards them, there's one in crewe near ABP motorsport that goes off everytime. They can't prosecute though unless it's a truvelo. It shouldn;t be flashing in your face in the first place , that's why the truvelo's have Infra red isn't it?

Leslie 27 March 2006 12:58 PM

No they can't. Complain to the police about being dazzled!

Les

2000TLondon 27 March 2006 01:58 PM

NO.

Fixel 29 March 2006 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Avi
It shouldn;t be flashing in your face in the first place , that's why the truvelo's have Infra red isn't it?

It still looks like a 'flash' in your eyes when they go off though (but wasn't overly dazzling) :mad:

RB5_245 29 March 2006 04:21 PM

I did that in a hire car... was very tempted to write it off then claim it was the cameras fault... by the time I'd thought it through i was too far away though :lol:

Anders_WR1 29 March 2006 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie
No they can't. Complain to the police about being dazzled!

Les

Isn't that admitting that you've been speeding!?:wonder: