ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   What makes a good pair of shoes. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/502438-what-makes-a-good-pair-of-shoes.html)

paulr 24 March 2006 10:18 PM

What makes a good pair of shoes.

Went looking for some shoes this evening,quite a range in prices from £35 at Next to £120 for some at House of Fraser (begins with a B?).Hugo Boss go up to £170.

Personally i fancied the Kurt Geigers at £85.

What should you look for?

Bubba po 24 March 2006 10:20 PM

Not what but whom. The Elves make the best ones. In the night.... tap, tippety-tap they go.

BEW 24 March 2006 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by paulr

The right size?

dpb 24 March 2006 10:22 PM

a reasonable design ( one that isnt obviously going to fall apart)
good workmanship.

the portugese do it well - the last one.

paulr 24 March 2006 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by BEW
The right size?

Its a while since i bought any,whats all this 43,42,41 stuff.

paulr 24 March 2006 10:25 PM

The other thing is it seems the fashion at the moment is to have an extra 10cm on the end of the toe.

fast bloke 24 March 2006 10:27 PM

I get the cheapest comfiest ones I can find..... after 6 weeks chuck them and get more. same with suits - I know there are suit snobs on here, but if you wear a suit every day of the week, forking out a grand on a sharp suit is a false economy. You have to wear it non stop for 5 years to get VFM, and by that stage everyone thinks you are a minger :D

If you are spending 15 quid and throwing them in the bn after a month all you need to worry about is comfort :D

paulr 24 March 2006 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by fast bloke
I get the cheapest comfiest ones I can find..... after 6 weeks chuck them and get more. same with suits - I know there are suit snobs on here, but if you wear a suit every day of the week, forking out a grand on a sharp suit is a false economy. You have to wear it non stop for 5 years to get VFM, and by that stage everyone thinks you are a minger :D

If you are spending 15 quid and throwing them in the bn after a month all you need to worry about is comfort :D

But dont £15 shoes look crap?

AudiLover 24 March 2006 10:31 PM

Nike air.

£110 at your local footlocker.

They look good and last and stay looking good.

little-ginge 24 March 2006 10:34 PM

One left shoe and one right shoe?:wonder:

dpb 24 March 2006 10:35 PM

anything much more/less 40 -your pickey/fashion victim

HTH

fast bloke 24 March 2006 10:37 PM

But dont £15 shoes look crap?

No they look great for a month - then they look old - same as 200 quid shoes do after 3 months

legb4rsk 25 March 2006 12:39 AM

Why don't you just buy the ones you like?????

or if you must ,go for the Nike Air option, 120 gazillion people can't be wrong..........can they?:wonder:

TonyBurns 25 March 2006 12:44 AM

I go for a nice leather, leather sole (where possible), easy to break in, no rubbing etc.
The longest ive ever owned a pair of shoes is 15 years, leather sole etc, though they are a little dated now (stuck in the bottom of the wardrobe) but they were excellent shoes (italian).

Tony:D

richiewong 25 March 2006 01:07 AM

Went looking for some shoes this evening,quite a range in prices from £35 at Next to £120 for some at House of Fraser (begins with a B?).Hugo Boss go up to £170.

Personally i fancied the Kurt Geigers at £85.

Bally or Bertie?

Personally go for Patrick Cox, some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn and they last for ages:thumb:

little-ginge 25 March 2006 01:19 AM

A nice pair of high heels will make your legs look slimmer and longer. HTH:)

Scooby Soon! 25 March 2006 07:41 AM

Loakes 4 blokes :)

carl 25 March 2006 08:36 AM

For the price of the Hugo Boss I'd rather get a pair of Church's.

Mark Miwurdz 25 March 2006 11:04 AM

Yep - Church's and Loakes are the way forward.

£100 on a pair of these beauties is money well spent. Get to Northampton if you can, to visit the factory shops and get yourself a pair of 2nds - I defy you to find fault with them and you'll save yourself shed-loads of money.

I haven't bought a new pair of work shoes for over 5 years now. Infininitely better value than a cheap and nasty pair for £15 from Stead & Simpsons ;)

Cheers
Kav

alcazar 25 March 2006 11:20 AM

The best pairs I've ever had were Clarke's Polyvelts, with an air cushion sole. I wore them daily in a job when I spent all day on my feet, and they lasted EIGHT years, even the laces were the originals!

I now have an updated pair with the same sort of sole, it lasts for ages, but is VERY comfortable to wear, walk in etc, which is the main thing, isn't it?

Also, go for a fairly wide design to give your toes room to move: pinched toes are a nightmare:eek:

Alcazar

boomer 25 March 2006 02:51 PM

I fancied giving these folks a try, but unfortunately their Birmingham branch closed down :(

Not even a store in Landan :(

mb

2000TLondon 25 March 2006 03:04 PM

I'd avoid the Hugo Boss shoes, may look good but will lack real quality.

Barker, Loakes, Church's are all very good and I have a couple of pairs of these.

Russell and Bromley and Kurt Geiger are also nice shoes, but I would second them to the top three.

If you are looking for exceptional bespoke shoes, you could try a pair of Berluti's or Lingwoods from Jermyn Street where they start around five hundred a pair.

Or George Cleverley where they start at about fifteen hundred, but they are bespoke and you'll know it!!! ;)

Leslie 25 March 2006 03:19 PM

Try Clifford James. They have a very wide selection of perfectly respectable shoes for reasonable prices and they are comfortable too. Why throw your money away just to try to impress!

Les

Nat 25 March 2006 04:38 PM

John Lobb.

But if you haven't got £2000 to spend then Barker, Cheaney, Jeffrey West, Churchs, Crocket and Jones, or Trickers will all last you for 10 years with regular re-souling. (i usually have all my pairs re-healed once a year and fully rebuilt every Two years) You can send shoes back to all those manufacturers and they'll send them back as good as new.

This page might help

http://www.elegant-lifestyle.com/classic_shoes.htm

StickyMicky 25 March 2006 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Not what but whom. The Elves make the best ones. In the night.... tap, tippety-tap they go.

FPMSL :notworthy

C2forWRX 25 March 2006 04:52 PM

jeffery west are top. reiss aren't bad, just get a pair of limited edition Nike dunks, they will hold value :-)!

Luan Pra bang 25 March 2006 04:59 PM

Churches are good and you can get them for £100 fromthe factory but they have had the same styles 1955. I had a pair of gucci shoes once that I wore everyday and lasted for over a year. Still have them but they got dirty so I have to throw them away.

GC8 25 March 2006 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Miwurdz
Yep - Church's and Loakes are the way forward.

£100 on a pair of these beauties is money well spent. Get to Northampton if you can, to visit the factory shops and get yourself a pair of 2nds - I defy you to find fault with them and you'll save yourself shed-loads of money.

I haven't bought a new pair of work shoes for over 5 years now. Infininitely better value than a cheap and nasty pair for £15 from Stead & Simpsons ;)

Cheers
Kav

Watch out! Some cheapskate who looks like he was dressed in a charity shop will call you a 'shoe-snob' in a minute.....

:)

David Lock 25 March 2006 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Nat21
John Lobb.

But if you haven't got £2000 to spend then Barker, Cheaney, Jeffrey West, Churchs, Crocket and Jones, or Trickers will all last you for 10 years with regular re-souling. (i usually have all my pairs re-healed once a year and fully rebuilt every Two years) You can send shoes back to all those manufacturers and they'll send them back as good as new.

This page might help

http://www.elegant-lifestyle.com/classic_shoes.htm

Distant relative of mine :)

http://www.johnlobb.com/uk/

speye91 25 March 2006 08:24 PM

Peter Werth best ever shoes i bought ,2 years old and still going strong :thumb:

mick :thumb: