ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wales (https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/)
-   -   Brake Judder ! (https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/502327-brake-judder.html)

Rooshkins 24 March 2006 02:11 PM

Brake Judder !

Guys ... just put brand new EBC discs & pads on the front of my RB as I had a bit of a judder when braking.

Put the new gear on today and found that one of the parts of the 4-pot calipers was siezed so took it apart & greased it up etc. The brakes are now superb on response but still have that slight judder.

Any suggestions ? I've done the same on both front 4-pots. Could it be coming from the back-end or something to do with the wheels maybe ???

Gav

S.P.Developments 24 March 2006 04:49 PM

1st Q, are the disks groved, if so have you fitted them the right way round, ie- the grove should be trailing and not leading..

John

Rooshkins 24 March 2006 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbrakes
1st Q, are the disks groved, if so have you fitted them the right way round, ie- the grove should be trailing and not leading..

John

They're facing forward which I presume means they're leading ??

S.P.Developments 24 March 2006 10:33 PM

Sorry mate, from what you say they are fitted incorectly, my advice is change them before you use the car again..

John

Rooshkins 24 March 2006 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbrakes
Sorry mate, from what you say they are fitted incorectly, my advice is change them before you use the car again..

John

Cheers John, I'll go over 2moro & get it sorted.

Thanks for your input fella :thumb:

Gav

The Trooper 1815 27 March 2006 08:16 AM

Grooves pointing backwards:thumb:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0/P3270019.jpg

They had stickers saying left and right on them. Certainly helped me!

Rooshkins 27 March 2006 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
Grooves pointing backwards:thumb:

They had stickers saying left and right on them. Certainly helped me!

Think they missed those then ! Or they didnt have them on there.

Anyways, just dropped it over to get them changed ..... cheers fellas, much appreciated :thumb:

Rooshkins 02 April 2006 07:36 AM

Still got the judder !

Anyone recomend a good brake place they've been before. I'm thinking of dropping it into power2go in Ross-on-Wye as they've been very good in the past.

I've also noticed there are no alignement screws in the front discs ..... is this right ?

:thumb:

sammyh 02 April 2006 09:57 AM

Thats right :)

I'd take them off and clean all the mounting points ie: the face of the hub, back of the disc, all the caliper mounting points and make sure there is no debris on the pistons or the back of the pads :)

Can you feel the judder through the steeing wheel?

Trap2Terrorist 02 April 2006 12:52 PM

Where are you based Rooshkins, you could try Godspeed in Bridgend?

Godspeed Brakes
Gees Yard
Coychurch Rd
Bridgend
CF31 3AP

Rooshkins 02 April 2006 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by sammyh
Thats right :)

I'd take them off and clean all the mounting points ie: the face of the hub, back of the disc, all the caliper mounting points and make sure there is no debris on the pistons or the back of the pads :)

Can you feel the judder through the steeing wheel?

:( Yeah I can a bit Sammy. What dyou reckon fella ?

Cheers Trap2, I live in Newport so Godspeed's not too far away :thumb:

pippyrips 02 April 2006 06:07 PM

godspeed is the man for brakes

TAFF-RA 05 April 2006 01:44 PM

had similar prob on my ra. When pressing the brake pedal, can you feel the judderin the pedal itself (does it feel like it comes up and down slightly/more than slight)?
If so, i would recomend front wheel bearings, and depending on how long this has been going on, possibly hubs too.
you will probably not detect bearing trouble with the standard "wheel shake" method.
can also recomend ACEmotorsport of newbridge.

Rooshkins 05 April 2006 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by TAFF-RA
had similar prob on my ra. When pressing the brake pedal, can you feel the judderin the pedal itself (does it feel like it comes up and down slightly/more than slight)?
If so, i would recomend front wheel bearings, and depending on how long this has been going on, possibly hubs too.
you will probably not detect bearing trouble with the standard "wheel shake" method.
can also recomend ACEmotorsport of newbridge.

I can feel the judder in the pedal and slightly in the steering wheel. Will have to book it in somewhere pretty soon I think !

I've heard good things about ACE Motorsport .... cheers fella :thumb:

sti 360 27 May 2006 11:03 AM

mines doing the same with ebc brakes,fine with old standard brakes,why does every body think that they were fitted wrong as its not brain surgery
have you sorted yours out yet
matt

Rooshkins 27 May 2006 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by sti 360
mines doing the same with ebc brakes,fine with old standard brakes,why does every body think that they were fitted wrong as its not brain surgery
have you sorted yours out yet
matt

Yes Matt, it turned out that my rear discs were in a bad way so changed them, cleaned the hubs & it sorted the judder. Took some effort to get them off though cos they were seized good & proper !

My front EBC discs were fitted the wrong way around as the grooves were leading into the pad not trailing but all sorted now.

Gav :thumb: