ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Never mind receiving the £14m loan - how does a politcal party pay it back??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/501466-never-mind-receiving-the-14m-loan-how-does-a-politcal-party-pay-it-back.html)

imlach 21 March 2006 09:29 AM

Never mind receiving the £14m loan - how does a politcal party pay it back???

Given a political party has no income other than donations & loans, how do they pay this £14m back?

More loans? ;) :D

Or do the 'lenders' just forget about it over time, and in reality, it's a donation (ie, in through the back door).

ReallyReallyGoodMeat 21 March 2006 09:31 AM

I believe they consolidate all their existing loans into one manageable monthly payment. They even had enough left over for a holiday to Greece!

jasey 21 March 2006 09:33 AM

I was thinking the very same thing this morning.

Loans are probably written off as bad debts :Suspiciou .

Even more interesting - how is the loan to be paid back if you forgot to mention to the Treasurer that the loans have been taken :Suspiciou :Suspiciou :Suspiciou :Suspiciou

Petem95 21 March 2006 09:34 AM

More stealth taxes?... :rolleyes: Im sure they'll find a way of laundering some MP's expenses or something to pay off the partys debts. This NL after all.

imlach 21 March 2006 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Petem95
More stealth taxes?... :rolleyes:

No, the political party is distinct from government. They cannot use government funds to fund the political party.

The Zohan 21 March 2006 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by imlach
Given a political party has no income other than donations & loans, how do they pay this £14m back?

More loans? ;) :D

Or do the 'lenders' just forget about it over time, and in reality, it's a donation (ie, in through the back door).

Yes, my understanding is that they where advised to do this in the form of a loan so not to be seen as donating to the Labour party.

Also Labour do not have the resources to pay back the loans for very long if at all.

According to the ex head of a Labour party funding committee on R5 live yesterday.

I understand Labour are going to look into changing the way things are done, well only because they where caught again with the pants down!

Whilst maybe not illegal certianly immoral - Labour, the party who where going to do away with sleaze, didin't Blair make that pledge along with a lot of others to get ellected all those years ago - Pull the other one Tone - ya days are numbered!

Only a few weeks ago there was the scandal of unfit people being allowed to teach in our schools and we only found out about it because of the press/Police.

We have people on probation killing and raping as they like - Probation Labours the answer to overcrowding in prisons!

StickyMicky 21 March 2006 09:44 AM

i heard on the radio this morning that the conservatives have refused to tell how many/much they got in loans as well

so lets not get any any high horses, there all as bad as one another :)

jasey 21 March 2006 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
i heard on the radio this morning that the conservatives have refused to tell how many/much they got in loans as well

The lib dems aren't - nobody will lend them any money :)

They just lie to their wifes about being gay :D

The Zohan 21 March 2006 09:48 AM

You presume to much sir! - Who is on any high horses, the conservatives need to put their house in order as well. Conservatives have a new leader who has a chance to put things in order and i hope he does!

However, Labour are in power and making the decisions. They promised to put an end to sleaze - not seen any signs of this 9 years on!

David Lock 21 March 2006 09:52 AM

Cherie goes off and gives a couple of lectures......

imlach 21 March 2006 09:52 AM

BBC News :

According to press reports, Labour had to turn to individual lenders because its bankers were unwilling to give it a larger overdraft.
HAHAHA.

David Lock 21 March 2006 09:55 AM

I think that's more the Liberal way of doing things :D

The Zohan 21 March 2006 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by jasey
The lib dems aren't - nobody will lend them any money :)

They just lie to their wifes about being gay :D

Hmm, the party that was led by a lying pisshead who would not admit it event when it was staring him in the face, other great Libs such as David lloyd George - the man who reinvented 'Cash for Coronets' and a load of homo's who just will not come out of the closit.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/ashcroft/s...500030,00.html
They have all been at it and Labour still are

Boy do we need a new political party!

jasey 21 March 2006 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Boy do we need a new political party!

Time for Markus' BNP Lite :D

OllyK 21 March 2006 10:58 AM

But the Conservatives aren't curently in a position to reward it's lenders with a position in the House of Lords IIRC.

unclebuck 21 March 2006 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
I believe they consolidate all their existing loans into one manageable monthly payment. They even had enough left over for a holiday to Greece!

:lol1: :lol1:

unclebuck 21 March 2006 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by jasey
Time for Markus' BNP Lite :D

I'm voting BNP - Lite or otherwise... Had enough of the others

ScoobyDoo555 21 March 2006 11:19 AM

umm, perhaps I'm being cynical, but the party does pay the loan back......

"Thank you for your VERY generous loan, Lord XYZ"........

Dan :rolleyes:

sleaze

Leslie 21 March 2006 12:42 PM

They never intend to!

Les

DazW 21 March 2006 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by OllyK
But the Conservatives aren't curently in a position to reward it's lenders with a position in the House of Lords IIRC.

No, but we have no idea what influence donations made pre '97 though do we ...as there were no rules governing it! ...hence Lord Neill's committee on standards in public life.

Petem95 21 March 2006 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by unclebuck
I'm voting BNP - Lite or otherwise... Had enough of the others

If the BNP could improve their image, and make it clear that they have policies that are attractive to hard working people in Britain, whether they are asian, black as well as white, then they'd be onto a winner.

Their main problem is that they are demonised by the media (especially by the Blair Broadingcasting Corperation- BBC), and clearly they do have some undesirables in their ranks.

It seems many of their policies are EXACTLY what hard working Britans want.

lozgti 21 March 2006 02:30 PM

One businessman made such a loan(according to the papers).

His company was lucky enough to win £1billion of government contracts.I'm pleased it worked out for him.

Markus 21 March 2006 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Petem95
If the BNP could improve their image, and make it clear that they have policies that are attractive to hard working people in Britain, whether they are asian, black as well as white, then they'd be onto a winner.

Their main problem is that they are demonised by the media (especially by the Blair Broadingcasting Corperation- BBC), and clearly they do have some undesirables in their ranks.

It seems many of their policies are EXACTLY what hard working Britans want.

That was my idea behind BNP Lite. Get rid of the "bash a wog" types, and some of the more hard line policies, and then you could well have a party with policies that appeal to many more than the current BNP policies. I would like to vote BNP, and probably would, however, you mention to the majority that you voted for them and you're instantly thought of as being a racist thug.

ScoobyDoo555 21 March 2006 06:52 PM

The story that made me chuckle today, was one of the suggestions to abolish the loans/donations system, and start charging £3 per vote - from the voter!!! :D

Don't know whether or not it is true, but HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Dan :D

paulr 21 March 2006 07:27 PM

If you give a car dealer 10k and he gives you a car its not a loan.
If you give the governemt 100k and he gives you a peerage....................

:)

Alas 21 March 2006 07:34 PM

No, the political party is distinct from government. They cannot use government funds to fund the political party.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trucker Ted 21 March 2006 08:12 PM

If you swap the word loan for backhander and think of it more of an investment and then enjoy the benefits of peerage or like said before the nice big juicy contracts rolling in the door!!

Politicians there all rotten to the core:mad:

^OPM^ 21 March 2006 08:31 PM

been thinking about this-you 'loan' them 1 million quid-u become a lord then-how much does a lordship pay in wages? then u have a cast iron pension plan! plus all ur other little expenses etc-must certainly be making more back per annum then u could ever hope for by sticking money in bank or even in stock market! seems a sound investment-if i win lottery i think i will earmark a million for a lordship :D