ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   New Software - First week report (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/50120-new-software-first-week-report.html)

ex-webby 19 October 2001 09:24 PM

Hi All

I am very pleased to say that (exluding a few bugs (which we expected)) the new software has proved to be a HUGE success.

From a technical point of view..

Server load has gone from bursting at the seams with the old software to practically running at tick-over with the new software. This is VERY good news from an admin point of view as I was having to restart the server at least once a day. I haven't had to restart the server ONCE since installing the new software.

Speed seems to be up across the board (I've had two people who say it is slow for them, but I think that may be unrelated to the software) and the software can comfortably cope with 500 dynamic requests a second without even beginning to slow down.

Traffic has gone through the roof (pretty much doubled) possibly due to the fact that people can get through more pages in the time they spend browsing.

I know there are a few bugs, and some of the features are not present, etc.. but we WILL get these sorted.

All in all, so far it is very encouraging. Thank you very much for all the positive emails and comments, they are much appreciated, and make the *months* of hard work worth while.

All the best

webmaster

Phil 19 October 2001 09:31 PM

Excellent great improvement

Thanks for all the hard work you must have put in

Phil

bug-eyed wonder 19 October 2001 09:33 PM

Congrats and thanks! Finding posting of replies showing up almost instantly. ps the muppet hutch seems to have exiled them all into a posting frenzy! :D

RON 19 October 2001 09:35 PM

Webbie,
Just one thing I've noticed, sometimes the Forum listings say that a thread has been posted to after the last post date, I used to use a ? after the url to get it, is there a trick to this new software, or what?
Apart from that :) :) :) :) :)

Sith 19 October 2001 10:00 PM

Certainly a good move. Tis all much better.

P.

DazV 19 October 2001 11:01 PM

Yeah, excellent job Simon.

ChrisB 19 October 2001 11:04 PM

Excellent stuff Simon.

Not an easy task hand crafting an entire BBS - do you know how many lines of code there are?

ChrisB.

sKunk 19 October 2001 11:29 PM

It's been down a couple of times since I joined a few weeks ago but that was before the software change (I think), since then this place has been loading a lightspeed on this cable connection :)

Spudgun GTR 19 October 2001 11:32 PM

thanks for the effort simon:)

dsmith 20 October 2001 12:03 AM

Much better for me. Cos its .asp even the freeserve caches show me updated pages immediately.

Simon have you done any before and after comparisons on the size of the generated pages. ?

Combination of bigger pages and less caching (probably more happens by ISPs than people think) may contribute to more bandwidth being used.

Are you gonna sell the S/W - Can think of a few BBSs which would be improved by it .....

[Edited by dsmith - 10/20/2001 12:04:48 AM]

fast bloke 20 October 2001 02:01 AM

brilliant Si - I was expecting 2-3 months of bug fixing and crashing, but as it stands I have near legendary muppet status in 5 days. Do you need the post rate stress tested. I could organise a couple of people if you need ;)

MichelleWRX1994 20 October 2001 07:49 AM

Likewise I back up Fast Blokes comments.

Muppetting has never been so easy :D

Keep up the good work and thanks a million for the work already done :D

Your Adoring Muppet Fan

Michelle ;)

Steve001 20 October 2001 10:41 AM

ace work webbie! ;)

can we have the 'hop to' defaulted to 'General Questions' Please?

Steve

WREXY 20 October 2001 01:41 PM

The new bbs kills!!!. :D Bloody Brilliant!!! :) Main thing, it is super fast. :D ;D I know a few things need sorting, but good things take time, but they are nothing compared to the way the new bbs is performing. Thank you Simon . Well done and keep it up. :) I appreciate this.

Cheers,

Wrexy.

kryten 21 October 2001 12:02 AM

>I haven't had to restart the server ONCE since installing the new software.

Simon, you should know better than to make statements like that!!

(PS http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/bbscode.asp is giving a 404 at the moment!)

Excellent job though, not the easiest thing writing something you _know_ is going to take a huge amount of traffic!!