ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   Changing STi suspension to WRX suspension - hard or easy ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/499445-changing-sti-suspension-to-wrx-suspension-hard-or-easy.html)

graeme. 13 March 2006 06:24 PM

Changing STi suspension to WRX suspension - hard or easy ?

Hi All,

I am thinking of buying a 03 - 04 STi and have heard the suspension is very hard to live with for day to day use.

Is it difficult / expensive to turn STi suspension back into WRX suspension, which was great on my 00 bugeye ??

Is it the shocks and springs that require changing, etc.

Cheers,
Graeme.

360ste 13 March 2006 07:30 PM

The suspension is uprated to cope with the higher output from the engine. I think you would need to change more than just the springs and shocks (may be wrong) as the whole suspension works together. I have recently fitted Tein Flex coilover suspension to my STi bugeye. Thought **** this is harsh at first now it feels normal unless the road surface is bumpy then you get shaken not stirred. don't jump to any conclusions immediately try it for a while you should get used to it.

graeme. 13 March 2006 08:38 PM

Good stuff,

Thanks for the advice.

Regards,
Graeme.

Bully3176 15 March 2006 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by graeme.
Good stuff,

Thanks for the advice.

Regards,
Graeme.

Wouldnt Greame find a difference if he kept his STi struts but had WRX springs fitted? Im only asking as im not sure either? But its one of those things Id like to know tooo? ;)
Mark

cookstar 15 March 2006 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by graeme.
Hi All,

I am thinking of buying a 03 - 04 STi and have heard the suspension is very hard to live with for day to day use.

Is it difficult / expensive to turn STi suspension back into WRX suspension, which was great on my 00 bugeye ??

Is it the shocks and springs that require changing, etc.

Cheers,
Graeme.

if its doable, fancy a swop then for my WRX suspension :)

graeme. 15 March 2006 06:08 PM

Thanks for the offer,

Have not test driven an STI yet. I might like it.

Will let you know.

ru' 16 March 2006 08:04 AM

Alternatively why not buy a WRX ppp or other performance mod'd?

You get wrx suspension free with it, power pretty much as per an sti and it's lighter.

Best advice would be to test an sti and fall in love with it though...

peachy wrx 17 March 2006 06:10 PM

what you need to do is spend the day with me and i'll drive you around in my sti with stupidly hard coilovers,when you get out and into the newer sti you'll think its the most comfy car in the world........job done! ;)

prana 18 March 2006 11:40 PM

I dont know about UK, but the weight of the STI vs WRX here is quite a bit. The car will settle a lot more with WRX suspension on board and STI, and will likely hit bump stops and bottom out. I wouldn't do it personally.

JIM THEO 19 March 2006 08:53 AM

If you want more comfort from your STI suspension all you need is harder springs - yes is correct - as the standard suspension is overdumped!
That's why Prodrive or other harder than factory springs increase performance AND comfort while the Prodrives include new bumpstops in order to keep tha standard suspension travel which is very important on uneven/bumpy twisty roads!
JIM

53 19 March 2006 06:57 PM

Decent tyres like Mich PS2's will make the ride more tolerable. Made my PD springs much more comfortable.

JIM THEO 20 March 2006 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Decent tyres like Mich PS2's will make the ride more tolerable. Made my PD springs much more comfortable.

That's what I have in my WRX with spec C struts - Prodrive springs and 225/40/18" tires!