ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   newage intercooler on a classic (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/499261-newage-intercooler-on-a-classic.html)

rigga 12 March 2006 10:02 PM

newage intercooler on a classic

anyone running a newage intercooler on a late classic 99/00?

just purchased a 2004 wrx one and wondering whats needed to fit it? is it just the brackets off relevent model the cooler came off? as it is bigger than my standard item,or will i have to make up some adaptors ( not had chance to look yet)

edited to say its a wrx tmic and not an sti version

phelpsa 12 March 2006 10:07 PM

Look up Floyds thread in the Projects section. I think it gives a fair idea of whats involved as he did this on his my00.

Adam

rigga 12 March 2006 10:26 PM

ill have a look,but i thought floyd used an sti version...which is bigger still

stevebt 12 March 2006 10:45 PM

wrx intercooler needs similar brackets to fit even though its smaller

you need the drivers side bracket and you need to bend/hammer your passenger side bracket to fit :) and thats it apart from needing a newge dumpvalve

Roojai 12 March 2006 10:52 PM

I have a bug-eye on an early classic - now that is a tight fit!!!

rigga 12 March 2006 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt
wrx intercooler needs similar brackets to fit even though its smaller

you need the drivers side bracket and you need to bend/hammer your passenger side bracket to fit :) and thats it apart from needing a newge dumpvalve

steve...got the right dumpvalve for it,and the pipework....just the brackets im missing

i can see a wanted appearing very shortly....lol

rentonone 13 March 2006 07:44 AM

martin. if i was you i would just try and mod your standard brackets unless you can find a cheap second hand drivers side bracket. when i fitted my sti8 on to mine i brought the sti8 bracket from subaru which was expensive and you still need to mod it. when i looked at the new bracket next to the old one it was only a few centimetres longer so if i was to do it all again i would just mod the standards. thanks james

[Davey] 13 March 2006 08:17 AM

You should be able to fabricate some brackets quite easily, they are only bits of bent flat steel with threaded holes in :)

I've got a late classic i/c to replace the other halfs early WRX pointless little I/C.. I'm going to tig weld a plate over the DV hole, drill a hole on the side of one of the ends and weld on a new piece of ally pipe which will become the new DV outlet. Oh and paint it silver.

scooby_matt 13 March 2006 08:35 AM

I had to cut a notch in the original (classic) bracket and make another bracket to fit on the newage drivers side bracket.

I'll get some photos in an hour or so, it'll make it easier to explain :D

scooby_matt 13 March 2006 12:13 PM

4 Attachment(s)
This is how I tackled it

Attachment 60546

Attachment 60547

Attachment 60548

Attachment 60549

RON 13 March 2006 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not a close up, but this is how mine looks....

Attachment 60544

ticky 13 March 2006 09:32 PM

If you want some small strips of material to make your brackets out of (metal) 2mm, 3mm thick, then tell me the ruff size and I will try to get some cut from work. You have to do the bending yourself. If it needs mig welding I can do that for you too.

Just pm me.

Ticky

Welloilbeefhooked 13 March 2006 10:05 PM

Are those above the WRX IC or the STI? My STI8 IC on my 98 WRX looks alot bigger.

Some pics I collected from other threads.

http://www.zen24039.zen.co.uk/Scooby%20Pics/ICZEN

RON 13 March 2006 10:08 PM

edited due to doublepost!

RON 13 March 2006 10:08 PM

Mines the WRX one....( which the original poster asked about) i didn't want the added aggro of fitting the sti one, i know that once it's done it's not too difficult, but mine comes on and off so easily it's unreal..... and i have the added bonus of being able to have the strut brace!

Welloilbeefhooked 13 March 2006 10:16 PM

RON,

The strut brace problem has been with me for a while now!!! Absolutely no room for one, but.............the old man is now charged with the task of making one :-)

Also, the STI on the 98 cars is a pain. Had to weld the dump valve area and cut down the clutch res. As for taking it on/off, its a nightmare really.

I think that the WRX IC is the better option. Instead of the STI8 IC, I should have gone the FMIC route. Roughly same costings after all said and done.

RON 13 March 2006 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Welloilbeefhooked
Roughly same costings after all said and done.

Maybe , but..... lots less pipework with the tmic, and, it's not likely to get split by a stone!

rigga 13 March 2006 10:28 PM

Ron... thats the main reason i went for the wrx version not the sti....wrx should be capable enough for my needs,and in theory because its smaller it SHOULD fit easier,read lots of threads on the work involved fitting the larger still sti varient... any tips on your fitment ? idlike to be able to keep the brace too

Rentone.... thanks james,will do a trial fit to see if there is any point modding my brackets,as i said ive not tried it yet,just wondered aloud whats involved

Ticky..will let you know mate if i need anything i cant source from work

Scooby_matt....... thanks for the pics,always better to see a visual mod than have it explained in print i find...lol

All tips and ideas welcome and appreciated fellas ;)

martin

RON 13 March 2006 10:39 PM

rigga, firstly, there is actually no need to use samco type hoses, i did that from choice, the original my99/00 hoses will fit, the next thing when fitting, fit the hoses first, then figure out the mountings, the dumpvalve return is the hardest thing to sort, i did it the hard way, but if i were doing it again, i would just buy the return pipe from an 01/02..... oh, and on that note, you need to use the newage dumpvalve...!
the two brackets were simple enough, the turbo side one is simply a small piece of steel, with one nut and bolt onto the intercooler, and another onto the old bracket, and the other side is the newage bracket with an extension on it.... a bit fiddly, but at least whilst busy i'm not thinking about what to do next ...;) and thats basically it.... i painted mine black so that it looks more original.... theres a big debate as to wether it's as efficient if painted black.... it works on my car.... so thats good enough for me!!
You also need to check that it's not too tight to the bonnet..... one more thing i did, was to fit a splitter in the scoop.... so that some air actually gets directed onto the front of the intercooler.....

Welloilbeefhooked 13 March 2006 10:39 PM

Just to add to the discussion....

.....when AndyF mapped my MY98 WRX there was no det at all using the STI8 IC. The limiting factors were the other components such as turbo, inj etc.

Andy commented on how the ducting I made that feeds the entire area of the cooler, with a built in splitter, helped loads.

I have seen a few new age coolers that have the standard air feed. This has got to be a bad idea.

rigga 13 March 2006 10:52 PM

i have the new age dumpvalve with the intercooler,and the y piece pipework from the newage,so sure i can sort out the pipework fitment with that and my existing set up,plus already have a splitter fitted to direct airflow......

Welloilbeefhooked 13 March 2006 10:55 PM

Just regarding the splitter, have you opened up the hole steel plate so that it feeds the entire core? The original item will not allow the air to hit every part of the core.

RON 13 March 2006 11:00 PM

Rigga, use the original 'Y' piece.... it's the pipe from the dumpvalve back to the inlet pipe thats awkward.....

rigga 13 March 2006 11:00 PM

i also have the newage undertray/scoop which i may try to fit/modify...if not i will open up the existing item to allow airflow to the bigger i/c....i have everything except brackets lol

martin

rigga 13 March 2006 11:03 PM

RON....... original as in classic item right? got lots of samco type hose in the garage im pretty sure i can use to sort out the dumpvalve return pipe...noticed it was in a different position to the classic one

Welloilbeefhooked 13 March 2006 11:05 PM

Martin, thats exactly what I'm getting at mate:-)

I think its a very important part of the mod. Some people use a larger scoop which I did at first, but after testing with the larger and standard size scoops I found the IC temps were the same.

Food for thought.

rentonone 13 March 2006 11:20 PM

its really difficult to make up a recirc pipe to connect to the metal pipe because the metal pipe goes to far past the connection on the newage dumpvalve. its best to remove the metal pipe to give you more room to either make a pipe up or use a newage recirc pipe which fits properly. you can only remove the metal pipe with the manifold off tho unless you cut it.

rigga 13 March 2006 11:24 PM

or get a vta valve....... last resort though for this one

rentonone 13 March 2006 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by rigga
or get a vta valve....... last resort though for this one

yeah thats what i wanted to use at the time but i was skint,i think a forge vta gives the most clearence for the coil pack too which was a pain.

scooby_matt 14 March 2006 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by rentonone
its really difficult to make up a recirc pipe to connect to the metal pipe because the metal pipe goes to far past the connection on the newage dumpvalve. its best to remove the metal pipe to give you more room to either make a pipe up or use a newage recirc pipe which fits properly. you can only remove the metal pipe with the manifold off tho unless you cut it.

There's no way that the MY99/00 recirc pipe will fit, I spent a full day trying to make it fit, but it just wasn't happening. Also, the diameter of the classic recirc pipe is too small to go on the newage recirc valve.
For the cost of a standard newage recirc pipe (cost me £15), it not worth the hassle of trying to make it fit.
I managed to make the newage recirc pipe fit without losing the metal pipe, you just need to disconnect the small 's' shaped pipe and fiddle away a bit.

If it's any help, i've got a newage passenger side bracket?

Cheers,

Matt