ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   strangest places that your sat-nav has sent you... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/498350-strangest-places-that-your-sat-nav-has-sent-you.html)

sarasquares 09 March 2006 08:09 AM

strangest places that your sat-nav has sent you...

i thought this might be a laugh:lol1:

chatting about getting my sat nav i have found that it sometimes goes wrong and you end up in places that you are not meant to be :o

who wants to go first:iamwithst..........

i cant cos mine doesnt arrive till today:thumb:

anyone.....................???:lol1:

Crazy Chick 09 March 2006 08:15 AM

Travelling down a dual carriageway with those metal barriers dividing the traffic and the sat-nav told us to do a U-turn. :cuckoo:

sarasquares 09 March 2006 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy chick
Travelling down a dual carriageway with those metal barriers dividing the traffic and the sat-nav told us to do a U-turn. :cuckoo:

lol, trust a muppet to be the first one, well done CC:thumb:

Crazy Chick 09 March 2006 08:18 AM

http://ccgi.rallytrader.plus.com/for...iles/wink2.gif

sarasquares 09 March 2006 08:22 AM

i dread to think where i will end up when i have mine:o

jasey 09 March 2006 08:27 AM

Mine told me to cross over a dual carriageway (with a wall down the middle of it) to go down a one way street the wrong way.

Did this three times along the same stretch of road.

It is good the way you can ignore it's commands and it doesn't get upset with you - like a wife would ;):D

sarasquares 09 March 2006 08:33 AM

i should have done this thread before i bought mine:eek:

Freelance Badger 09 March 2006 08:57 AM

Against my better judgement (I thought I did know best) my Tom Tom directed me to a short cut onto the M4 - (It turned out to be a police only access road onto the motorway, with a barrier which I didn't have the access code for!)

mart360 09 March 2006 09:08 AM

Have you noticed that if you arrive at your destination, and then do a return trip home, 9 times out of ten, the return route is different.

Mart

sarasquares 09 March 2006 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by mart360
Have you noticed that if you arrive at your destination, and then do a return trip home, 9 times out of ten, the return route is different.

Mart

thats because roundabouts are one way:thumb:

:lol1:

Moonloops 09 March 2006 09:25 AM

Ended up in Bedford once - which reminded me of a Turkish toilet - "just a hole in the ground surrounded by sh1te" LOL :D:D

Brendan Hughes 09 March 2006 09:31 AM

For reasons I can't exactly remember, it got us to turn around by sending us onto a Spanish motorway, down the motorway for 5 miles, "now take the next exit". So I did, and had to pay 1.50 toll as I came off. Then it took us 100 yards to the roundabout, "now take the fourth exit" - yup, back to the toll both (another 1.50) to get back on, go 5 miles, and come off at the same road but this time facing in the right direction.

The lady's face in the toll both pretty much matched mine, except that I was giving her money.

fast bloke 09 March 2006 09:32 AM

driving through France it advised me to drive through a vineyard - there was a dirt track where it said the road was, but I ignored and stuck to the tarmac roads. Arrived at campsite and was discussing tom tom with one of the locals. I told him what it had done and he laughed and said all the locals use that track......... would have cut about 3 miles off the journey so I should have listened.
Brother in law programmed "wifes voice" for his Tomtom. He recorded his wife making various statements (tern left, turn right etc) Instead of telling you to make a u turn it starts nagging.

sarasquares 09 March 2006 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Moonloops
Ended up in Bedford once - which reminded me of a Turkish toilet - "just a hole in the ground surrounded by sh1te" LOL :D:D

thats Bedford;)

Moonloops 09 March 2006 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by sarasquares
thats Bedford;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...soil/thumb.gif

sarasquares 09 March 2006 09:43 AM

i do live very near tho, but not upwind:D

GingerbreadMan 09 March 2006 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Moonloops

Good description !! Being a local, I couldn't agree with you more !!

Have to say my satnav does take me to some wierd places. Loads of times I've asked it to take me to a petrol station and I've ended up in a newly built housing estate !! Also, new roads are intersting, the satnav doens't quite know what to make of them - it just goes nuts and claims you're in the middle of a field !!

Sara, are you in the bright yellow Scoob with the graphics? If so, keep your eyes peeled for a ginger bloke in a Silver MY00 classic (Sti spolier etc), I'll make sure I give you a :luxhello: and a :thumb:

GingerbreadMan

GingerbreadMan 09 March 2006 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by jasey
Mine told me to cross over a dual carriageway (with a wall down the middle of it) to go down a one way street the wrong way.

Did this three times along the same stretch of road.

It is good the way you can ignore it's commands and it doesn't get upset with you - like a wife would ;):D

Same here, Mr T (stupid satnav voice) always insists that I do a U turn on the A1 !!:cuckoo:

Gingerbreadman.

GC8 09 March 2006 10:59 AM

I think that you have to regard SatNav as a useful tool, rather than blindly follow the directions..... For city navigation its worth all the small uturn/roundabout mistakes it makes elsewhere...

Simon

sarasquares 09 March 2006 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by GingerbreadMan
Good description !! Being a local, I couldn't agree with you more !!

Have to say my satnav does take me to some wierd places. Loads of times I've asked it to take me to a petrol station and I've ended up in a newly built housing estate !! Also, new roads are intersting, the satnav doens't quite know what to make of them - it just goes nuts and claims you're in the middle of a field !!

Sara, are you in the bright yellow Scoob with the graphics? If so, keep your eyes peeled for a ginger bloke in a Silver MY00 classic (Sti spolier etc), I'll make sure I give you a :luxhello: and a :thumb:

GingerbreadMan

lol, looks like i am going to have fun:luxhello:

my scoob is cashmere yello not bright yello and i have removed the graffics now, have you got ginger wheels?:lol1:

will look out for you i always need directions:thumb:

this is me now..http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...onypics079.jpg

OllyK 09 March 2006 11:16 AM

I find in the UK the maps are quite out of date - 2 years or more in some cases. Drove round most of northern france last year - asked for the shortest routes to avoid motorways and so ended up going down some very minor roads and there wasn't a single thing wrong in the whole time I was there.

It seems to be the way, Europe are efficient in many ways and the UK drags behind. How long dows it take to resurface the M1 by Junc 23 - weeks. How long do the French take to do a similar section? About 6 hours.

GingerbreadMan 09 March 2006 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by sarasquares
lol, looks like i am going to have fun:luxhello:

my scoob is cashmere yello not bright yello and i have removed the graffics now, have you got ginger wheels?:lol1:

will look out for you i always need directions:thumb:

this is me now..http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...onypics079.jpg

Sorry Sara, cashmere yello - now I see!! Looking good, like ur bonnet/scoop!

And NO, I do not have ginger wheels !! Hell no!! I wouldn't burden my Scoob with such a colour !! De-tango'd and certainly no ginger. Hope I posted the pic properly.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ay/Scooby4.jpg

Hope to see you around soon :luxhello: x

KiwiGTI 09 March 2006 12:02 PM

No problems now, but the early Navman software on an Ipaq would often tell you to exit motorway and then proceed to tell you to rejoin the motorway.

Brendan Hughes 09 March 2006 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by OllyK
It seems to be the way, Europe are efficient in many ways and the UK drags behind. How long dows it take to resurface the M1 by Junc 23 - weeks. How long do the French take to do a similar section? About 6 hours.

So you'd happily pay UK motorway tolls then?

OllyK 09 March 2006 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
So you'd happily pay UK motorway tolls then?

Yes if they scrap road tax.

Houghton 09 March 2006 12:10 PM

Left on the roundabout....4th exit :confused: in Birmingham.

Liphook Hants from Alton Hants.........ended up on the south coast

floatindolphin 09 March 2006 12:18 PM

not sat nav but was looking for School Road (where Nemisis performance are), sadly the map I had had a different School Road.

This one was the entrance to a school. Imagine the kids as I pull into the entrance in the bloody skyline. what a nob!?!!!

sarasquares 09 March 2006 12:29 PM

mine has just arrived :luxhello:
moff to test it in a bit:thumb:

if you see me in your driveway its not my fault:lol1:

^Qwerty^ 09 March 2006 12:47 PM

I stuck in Reading to Howden (East Yorks).

Ignored it as it tried to send me via the M25, so as soon as I went towards Caversham, it changed it's mind and routed via Oxford, which is the way I wanted to go.

Anyway, a bit out of Reading past the place of loads of pine trees etc. it told me to turn right. So I did, thinking it had come up with a new short cut to the M40. I ended up on a < single track road/track which turned into nothing.

Turned around and went my normal route via RAF Benson.

sarasquares 09 March 2006 12:57 PM

moff to test it now, see ya later:D