ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Shocked by an MR2... (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/497358-shocked-by-an-mr2.html)

pabs 05 March 2006 01:49 PM

Shocked by an MR2...

For the second time I have been surprised by the performance of an MR2 - going along a quiet dual carriageway and this black MR2 would not dissapear off my rear bumper - had to pull over out of the way in the end as my car runs out of steam at the top end being an Sti RA with very short gearing...

anyone else had similar experiences or should I just put this down to it being a highly modified version??

pslewis 05 March 2006 01:53 PM

The STis are only OK over the short 0-60 sprint ...... then it hands over the Scooby Mantle to us with 'Normal' Imprezas :D :D

At what speed did you need to pull over??? If it was something like 90MPH then why do you think it would have been any faster? :confused:

Pete

TonyBurns 05 March 2006 01:54 PM

Think the turbo versions are about 240bhp (or is that ps?) but they are tunable, also depends on what year STi type RA you have ;) as the later ones were a little quicker :D

Tony:D

Mr Bat 05 March 2006 01:59 PM

The scooby cult ........

pabs 05 March 2006 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Think the turbo versions are about 240bhp (or is that ps?) but they are tunable, also depends on what year STi type RA you have ;) as the later ones were a little quicker :D

Tony:D

Have a version 1, with only light mods: scoobychip to 16psi, 3" system and downpipe, and K&N filter...all that malarky about minimal interior and extras to keep weight down, alloy bonnet and boot only to have a car with a reputation of being for "hairdressers" give you a hard time...

Before anyone jumps at me, I personally think the MR2 turbos look far from a hairdressers car

GC8 05 March 2006 02:02 PM

225-245PS depending on year.

Danny Boy 05 March 2006 02:49 PM

and quite light too!

hoskib 05 March 2006 03:07 PM

MR 2s' can be bloody fast out of the box (turbos that is), once you're moving i wouldn't expect you to make much ground on even a std one.

mate had a 300bhp odd turbo and once it was moving that thing flew, no chance keeping up with my humble uk classic:(

automodellistagt 05 March 2006 03:31 PM

mr2 turbos are quick and tunable and i would love to have one as a run around

lampshade 05 March 2006 03:34 PM

I had a play with an MR2 yesterday in the Vxr, surprised at how quick it was TBH.

Any1 got the spec's on these? :luxhello:

automodellistagt 05 March 2006 03:36 PM

range from 225 to 245 depending on year (turbo revisions etc) its just a shame theyre quite edgy and there are so many turds about

jfrf 05 March 2006 04:28 PM

even the new generation mr2 can be modded with turbos, whilst still keeping the manufacturer warranty

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=12978

jonjo 05 March 2006 05:09 PM

Never come across and mr2 turbo that has caused me any bother.... :confused:

Joe.....

pabs 05 March 2006 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by jonjo

Joe.....

What are you running?

Glennage 05 March 2006 07:58 PM

Would think they are a lot lighter than a Scoob maybe, hence the performance from that power output?

Gutmann pug 05 March 2006 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by jonjo

Joe.....

Perhaps they didnt want to play .....

geesta 05 March 2006 08:03 PM

I know a guy that got a mr2 turbo it's over 400bhp:eek2:

SPIDERWRX 05 March 2006 08:05 PM

I had a run in with a red mr2 turbo on the A38, kept up right with him, until about 120mph, then he edged ahead.(did have 3 people in the car) might have overtaken him otherwise........ supras are the ones not to race!!!!

ScoobyDoo555 05 March 2006 08:07 PM

MR2 Turbos will hand most Impreza owners their a$$ on a plate (speaking from personal experience!)

However, I'll agree with PSL (:eek:) - most MR2 owners that I've met WILL use their performance/aerodynamics advantage regardless of the speedlimit :( Certainly the case around here :( )

However, the tables are turned in the wet - my mate's MR2T spent most of it's time piruetting around roundabouts!!!! :D So much so, that he couldn't live with it, and chopped it for a N/A MR2.....

Go-Kart handling. Mad.

Dan

luke m 05 March 2006 08:16 PM

mr2 turbos are excellent cars from the rev3 onwards (93-). 245bhp as standard, weighs 1133kg. never found mine particulary edgy, suspension was sorted on the later cars. never span it (except once in sainsburys car park, kingsway, derby, spiderwrx - you know the corner i'm sure, but i'll gloss over that moment). my mr2 n/a was far more nervy. got 270bhp for a couple of hundred quid. guessing i need about 300bhp to match that in my classic, but i cant be bothered to work it out properly. very quick and still felt kinda special being mid engined, low and rwd. i'd have another in an instant except they are now expensive for their age and the obvious practicality drawbacks. sold it for a vx220 and i'd say i probably enjoyed the mr2 twice as much..

Midlife...... 05 March 2006 11:10 PM

As well as my modded Bugeye I've got a 1997 E-plate old shape 1.6 MR2 (AW11) which I run in the summer :)

Once rolling..........err and in the dry ... it's not a lot slower :D

Shaun

eric Scofield 06 March 2006 11:56 AM

Same thing happened to me on an on-ramp onto the A127 in Essex pulled up behind a red MR2 expecting to over-take it effortlessly so changed to third quicker than if i expected any competition) and the bl**dy thing literally took off !!! only chased it to just over 70 but it definitely had the edge on me .. (MY03 STI)
It actually slammed it's brakes on shortly after I stopped pursuing him and his engine smelt like something had let go (kinda burning oil smell) .. :norty: I drove past nonchalantly like I hadn't even been aware of any kind on duel ..

But this was only minor compensation for the first time I have been comprehensively beaten in a short sprint ...

riosingh 06 March 2006 02:02 PM

i miss being pinned to my seat every time i floored my mr2 turbo.
standard 95 wagon just doesn't live up to it, and the breaks are sh!te.