ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Car Care (https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/)
-   -   Meguiars (https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/496146-meguiars.html)

fatscoobyfella 28 February 2006 06:10 PM

Meguiars

Anyone used the NXT Tech wax??

Any good??
Worth the extra cash?

TIA

eldudereno 28 February 2006 06:13 PM

yes, yes and yes :)

New_scooby_04 28 February 2006 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by fatscoobyfella
Anyone used the NXT Tech wax??

Any good??
Worth the extra cash?

TIA

Personally I didn't get on with it; I found Autoglym super resin polish and wax (can't remeber the name :-) ) was much easier to apply and provided a better finish. Some swear by NXT wax though, so maybe its just me! :)

Ns04

pslewis 28 February 2006 06:35 PM

AutoGlym is the stuff .... pretenders come, pretenders go ....

Pete

ALi-B 28 February 2006 06:37 PM

Needs good prep work and polishing before applying (i.e surface feels glass-like BEFORE applying). Good results though.

Worth it? debatable :)

PG 28 February 2006 06:43 PM

The NTX Tech wax is a good quick poish but the finish doesn't last.
Their 3 stage system is very good and results far outlast that of the tech wax.

corradoboy 28 February 2006 07:56 PM

I use it as a base coat after clay and ScrtachX and before I apply Simoniz Original Carnuba Wax. This combination for me leaves a glassy, wet look finish that lasts much longer than any other product I've ever tried. Simo has been known to still bead (reticulate) water over 18 months after application, but I do it twice a year. I once compared it to a mates car after he'd applied many hundreds of pounds worth of Swissol/Zymol or whatever it is, and there was virtually no difference in shine, or reticulation after a rain shower a little later. £5 a tin, pain in the arse to apply but well worth the effort, if you can find anywhere that sells it now :rolleyes:

G00ner 28 February 2006 09:20 PM

Check out the car care section of Scoobynet.

lol @ Autogrim, wouldn't use that stuff on a tea spoon.

ALi-B 28 February 2006 10:18 PM

Autoglym is fine as long as you use the final gloss protection (gold label) AFTER using the resin polish (and a feather duster to get rid of the dust ;) ) - otherwise it won't last.

fatscoobyfella 28 February 2006 10:25 PM

Always used autoglym.It is ok,nothing special and the dust is a nuisance.

My car has previously had a "diamond brite protection pack" applied!! whatever that is..

Gonna try some NXT for a quick spruce up,and see how it goes.Whats it like to apply and take off?Same as Autoglym?

Couldnt justify paying the Zymol/Swisol prices..

pslewis 28 February 2006 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by G00ner

Thats because you are a mug and have been taken in by the adverts and crap spouted :rolleyes:

Pete :D

ALi-B 28 February 2006 10:31 PM

Pretty much on and off, can smear if you leave it too long between wiping it off, using too much, or the paint surface isn't clean (i.e - not been polished)

StickyMicky 28 February 2006 10:38 PM

the other day i prepped my car by doing this

autoglym super resin polish (had an unopened bottle for a few years)
then a coat of meguires gold class
and then a coat of tech wax

ran out of time to put the final "showroom shine" (trade stuff) topcoat on, and the weather has been crap since

paint is looking decent enough at the moment

StickyMicky 28 February 2006 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by fatscoobyfella
Couldnt justify paying the Zymol/Swisol prices..

you dont have to

its all in the prep

cut the paint back and then wax over the top.

as far as i can tell, the "major" big price stuff has you fully prep the paint before you wax it anyway??

most people just rub a bit in and buff it off and then fall for the "X product costs £XXXX but is worth it"

ALi-B 28 February 2006 10:42 PM

^ Listen to him ^

He's right - prep prep prep :thumb:

I should be able to do the same moves of the Karate Kid by now ;)

New_scooby_04 28 February 2006 10:45 PM

It's good enough for Aston Martin and it's what i see the cars at many motorshows being prepared with.

Personally, I find it makes my scooby look amazing and takes relatively little effort to apply. It's very hard to get it to smear, unlike some other products I've used.

Echo the others that have said that good preparation is important though!

Ns04

StickyMicky 28 February 2006 10:50 PM

the autoglym i used did not go as chalky as i rememberd them from the past

it was a nice light and easy polish to take a bit of winter crap out from my paint. my car has been going through my carwash every few days over the winter (bonus of having undercar wash and wax programs :D ) and it needed a light cut back to give a good base for a wax coating

i have found that gold class looks better on the dark colours, tech wax seams to be better for light colours.

but different people like different effects.

pslewis 28 February 2006 10:51 PM

Agree, preparation is key ............. but, then, I assumed everyone did as I did and wash the car

then 'cut-back'

then apply normal polish

then the extra gloss and

then a final buff up!!

And if you do that, it takes about 4 hours!!

AutoGlym does it very well indeed ......... no need to spend stupid money on 'the fashion of the day'!!

Pete

StickyMicky 28 February 2006 11:00 PM

i am afraid most people just rub a bit of spit into there paint and use a tea towel to wipe it back off :D

FASTER MIKE!! 28 February 2006 11:20 PM

fatscoobyfella have a look on the type r corner thread (think your familiar to that thread;):D )and see what kieth(maddoc i think?) red 2.5rs that what i use on my car very easy to use and very little dust. its part of the professional range of meguiars products and no more expensive than the other stuff in the range.

mike:)

fatscoobyfella 28 February 2006 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis
Agree, preparation is key ............. but, then, I assumed everyone did as I did and wash the car

Pete

Thats your prob Pete,you do assume a lot ;)

I myself didnt realise that the tech wax isnt really a one shot deal,its usually used in conjuction with prepping and finishing stuff..Or is this just to try and get the "showroom shine"??

Reading the bumff on the NXT,it seems just like a normal,but higher grade wax..

Mike..think ya gettin me mixed up with someone else..but thanks for the info..:)

G00ner 01 March 2006 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by pslewis
Thats because you are a mug and have been taken in by the adverts and crap spouted :rolleyes:

Pete :D

But Meguiars isn't any dearer that Autoglym, so where am I being a mug?
I've used both, one has results and one doesn't.

I haven't tried Swissol or whatever it's called these days because I don't feel an amateur could get better results than Meguiars/P21s/Klasse.

Just because Aston endorse it doesn't mean it's any good, I'm not going to buy an 02 phone just because I'm an Arsenal fan.

pslewis 01 March 2006 08:36 AM

But Meguiars isn't any dearer that Autoglym, so where am I being a mug?
I've used both, one has results and one doesn't.

I haven't tried Swissol or whatever it's called these days because I don't feel an amateur could get better results than Meguiars/P21s/Klasse.

Just because Aston endorse it doesn't mean it's any good, I'm not going to buy an 02 phone just because I'm an Arsenal fan.

Point taken ............ but, there you go again see?

I take it that your statement, "one has results and one doesn't", means that AutoGlym doesn't give results???? :confused: so, everyone who uses it and likes it are not getting any results??

I think, what you mean is, YOU would rather use one than the other ....... well, oddly, thats the same as me :D

Pete

richardg 01 March 2006 09:12 AM

each to their own
i had been using autoglym for years and thought it was by far the best stuff out there, but after reading so much on here about meguiars about a year ago i thought i'd give the clay and nxt gen wax a try. was amazed with the result and am currently using it on my impreza, my '7' and my lambretta. the autoglym all went in the bin (with the exception of the glass cleaner which my wife now uses around the house). only down-side with the clay was the 5 hours (Yes, 5 hours) it took me to get the impreza cleaned 'properly'

anyway, that's my opinion. if you're not sure, give the nxt stuff a try and see who you get on with it. a valeter who visits us every 2 weeks rates nxt, but not for long term protection. he claims it's more of a show wax with high definition but short term protection. (he's at home ill at the moment, so if he reads this i'm sure he'll comment!)

messiah 01 March 2006 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by eldudereno
yes, yes and yes :)

yes, erm & no.

I've been using quite a few of Autoglym's products as I bought one of those packs with loads of stuff in - some quite impressive like the paint renovator & car glass polish and some not so like the red label polish which generates a dust cloud round me & the car making me feel like that kid off Charley Brown!

Just finished off my Meguairs bottle of Carnuba Wax (step 3 stuff) and bought the NXT wax as a replacement but I don't think its as good even though its twice the price, lovely results but the lifespan is woeful IMHO.

Think I'm going to be giving the Poorboy's range a tryout, looks like it gives decent results and its cheaper than the NXT range - still fancy a tub of Swissol Samurai Wax but not keen on paying £45 even taking its SN popularity into account.

fatscoobyfella 01 March 2006 05:46 PM

Did the car today,washed then Meguiars clay then NXt tech wax..

Have to say,car looks supurb and it looked good to start with!!!

Laquer looks deep and incredibly shiny..Not sure how long it will last but the wax part didnt take too long so reapplication every couple of months wont be bad at all..

Very happy with the results!!

Rich @ PB 01 March 2006 05:50 PM

Put some pics up! :)

TimmyboyWRX 01 March 2006 07:06 PM

i used to use a combination of clay bar then autoglym resin polish followed by NXT TEch wax on my old black coupe and the finsih was superb, definatly be trying it on the new scoob when the weather gets better before i consider any of this new stuff on the market ( tho i will be buying from polishedbliss some stuff soon enuff!)

Rich @ PB 01 March 2006 07:38 PM

Couple of very good detailers put up some great pics of SRP on black a while back on Detailing World - very good stuff, and often underrated imho. :)

corradoboy 01 March 2006 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
Put some pics up! :)

Simoniz Original...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...enay-Dazza.jpg