ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Vote - best tyre brand/model (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/495774-vote-best-tyre-brand-model.html)

Cosmic37 27 February 2006 12:48 PM

Vote - best tyre brand/model

Bearing in mind performance/grip, wear, value for money, etc. what brand and model of tyre do Scoobynetters give the thumbs up to? :thumb:

Please note that this question is not aimed at rally/racing/trackday but rather at general all year round/all weather use on a variety of normal UK roads as used by a typical scoobynetter (driving enthusiastically lets say). :norty:

If you have used more than one type then please feel free to give a rating out of ten to show relative preference... :freak3:

You could mention the size too in case strong trends emerge for different sizes... :wonder:

What tyres do YOU have? :rolleyes:

Cosmic37 28 February 2006 12:01 PM

TOYO T1R

Okay, let me kick it off myself then:
I heard that TOYO T1R are great.
The salesman told me they are better value for money than YOKOHAMA PIRADA2 (not sure about spelling there, feel free to correct me I know you will)?

MJW 28 February 2006 12:08 PM

I've been using Goodyear F1 GSD3s since I destroyed my OE set of Bridgestone Potenza's and they've never let me down.

ethanrob 28 February 2006 12:23 PM

Yokohama parada spec 11
great all round and only £85 a corner for 225/40/18

53 28 February 2006 12:49 PM

Mich Pilot Sport 2.

Superb!!! Sticky, quiet and a comfortable ride.

If you shop around they are not much more expensive than other would be performance tyres.

simo 28 February 2006 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Mich Pilot Sport 2.

If you shop around they are not much more expensive than other would be performance tyres.

what he says :thumb: & cracking in the wet as well

Mjb1957 28 February 2006 01:15 PM

Tyres

I have recently changed all four tyres ( Bridgestne Pots )to Goodyear Eagle F1 , I find these tyres much better than the Bridgestones.:thumb:

V1CK1 28 February 2006 01:24 PM

But what is the best value and longest wearing?

Vicki :D

stilover 28 February 2006 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Mich Pilot Sport 2.

Pilot sport 2's get my vote too. :thumb: Best tyre I've ever used.

Jay m A 28 February 2006 04:20 PM

I have had:

Pirelli Pzeros: good in dry, lethal when damp
Toyo T1-S: good in dry, again lethal when damp
Avon ZZ3: as good in dry, good when damp

The pirellis lasted longer than the Toyos, I've still got the Avons.

I will never have the Pzeros or T1-s again, will go for the PS2's next time I change to see what they're like.

scoobyboy1 28 February 2006 05:50 PM

Bought some 225/40/18 Avon ZZ3 for £85 each including fitting and balancing on Saturday, Gave them a test yesterday in the wet conditions and they seem quite good.

messiah 28 February 2006 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cosmic37
Okay, let me kick it off myself then:
I heard that TOYO T1R are great.
The salesman told me they are better value for money than YOKOHAMA PIRADA2 (not sure about spelling there, feel free to correct me I know you will)?

So you're giving a thumbs up to a tyre you've never used? :wonder:

I have the T1-Rs on at present and they're not nearly as good as the Goodyear F1s that I had on previously.

Stupid Insurance 28 February 2006 08:28 PM

Eagles

Not actually on a scooby, but I changed my balding Pirelli's on the front of my new shape Mondeo for Goodyear Eagles and they completely ruined it. Its now twitchy in the dry and tramlines any rut in the road. In the wet, its lethal. Pulling away from a junction, not quickly, but quick enough if you're joining traffic, it will spin the wheels in second and will keep on spinning them until you lift off.

That's on a heavy fwd car with about 105bhp. I wouldn't let a scobby even look at them

tfl55 28 February 2006 08:58 PM

Goodyear #1

I use Goodyear F1 they must be up in the top 3.

I think most people use TOYO because of the aggresive ad campaign and backing of well known scooby dealers, more then there performance.

Toyo's are expensive for what you get.

Cosmic37 01 March 2006 11:54 AM

TYRE VOTE COUNT SO FAR

Votes summary after 14 posts:

GOODYEAR Eagle F1s - 4 votes in favour, 1 against (4/5=80%)
MICHELIN Pilot Sport 2 - 3 votes in favour (3/3 = 100%)
AVON ZZ3 - 2 votes in favour (2/2=100%)
YOKOHAMA Parada II - 1 vote in favour (1/1=100%)
PIRELLI P-ZERO - 1 vote against (0/1=0%)
TOYO T1R - 1 vote against (0/1=0%)
TOYO T1S - 1 vote against (0/1=0%)

COME ON ALL YOU SCOOBYNETTERS, LETS MAKE THIS A BIG SURVEY AND WE CAN ALL BENEFIT FROM THE SCOOBY KNOWLEDGE - EVERYONE JUDGE YOUR TYRES, DON'T LET THE OTHERS INFLUENCE YOU!!!!
:luxhello:
=================================================
messiah - I absolutely take your point and I don't mean to recommend a tyre I never used (I don't include salesman comment in vote count ok).
:nono:
I only quoted what the salesman said in order to kick off the thread and get it bttt for people to start voting!!!

EVOLUTION 01 March 2006 12:04 PM

I had T1R's on my classic, the only fault with them was the outer edge wear, was far to sorft.

excellent standing water dispersal, never had a better tyre, ran them on all cars since, apart from my mew MY05, where i am happy with the current bridgestones, but i will be switching to the T1S

john

Moley 01 March 2006 12:05 PM

Toyo T1R's.

In a different league to the P Zero's i used to have.

However, i would like to try the Eagle F1's, as i haven't heard a bad word about them. (Although they seem to wear very easy on a track, grooves peel off)

EVOLUTION 01 March 2006 12:11 PM

The car came with p-zero's, they were on the 17" speedlines the car came with, dint like the handling at all and went back to the standard wheels. They were ok in the dry once they were hot, but in the wet the car had no end of understeer which i didnt like

woolz 01 March 2006 12:33 PM

T1-r! havent actually used em on the scoob but i had em on my CTR and they were amazing!

theotherphil 01 March 2006 12:35 PM

I run Toyo T1R's and they are great!

dowser 01 March 2006 12:39 PM

Erm - which P-Zero's? P0 Corsa street legal slicks are the best tyres I've used. Good in wet too (but don't like standing water much...for obvious reasons :)), but not so good when tarmac is cold (below -5 degrees sees a marked decrease in grip).

Richard

scoobyverysoon 01 March 2006 12:50 PM

GOODYEAR Eagle F1s for me all the way

the PIRELLI p6000`s are good but the goodyears are great

not had chance to try any others yet.

regards

Justin

pslewis 01 March 2006 01:37 PM

MICHELIN Pilot Sport 2

Lasts for 35,000miles each too!! :D

Excellent!!!!!

Pete

EVOLUTION 01 March 2006 01:45 PM

now im not sure on what type, i do know they were an aysametric tyre if that sheds anymore light on it

Cosmic37 01 March 2006 01:47 PM

TYRE VOTE UPDATE after 22 votes

Votes summary after 23 posts:
:D
GOODYEAR Eagle F1s - 5 votes in favour, 1 against (5/6=83%)
TOYO T1R - 4 votes in favour, 1 vote against (4/5=80%)
MICHELIN Pilot Sport 2 - 4 votes in favour (4/4 = 100%)
AVON ZZ3 - 2 votes in favour (2/2=100%)
YOKOHAMA Parada II - 1 vote in favour (1/1=100%)
PIRELLI P6000 - 1 vote in favour (1/1=100%)
PIRELLI P-ZERO - 1 vote in favour, 1 vote against (1/2=50%)
TOYO T1S - 1 vote against (0/1=0%)
:luxhello:
COME ON ALL YOU SCOOBYNETTERS, LETS MAKE THIS A BIG SURVEY AND WE CAN ALL BENEFIT FROM THE SCOOBY KNOWLEDGE - EVERYONE JUDGE YOUR TYRES, DON'T LET THE OTHERS INFLUENCE YOU!!!!

Palmo 01 March 2006 01:58 PM

Toyo T1 R

Changed to these from the standard Bridgestone's and what a transformation! Much better grip & handling (in wet & dry), reduced road noise and better ride quality. All round an excellent tyre IMHO.

W00DY 01 March 2006 02:04 PM

Toyo T1R's for me on MY02
Can't fault them in the dry and seem pretty dam good in the wet (so far) good dispersal of standing water.

Want to try the Eagle's but Toyo's win every time on price.

Cosmic37 01 March 2006 03:10 PM

Hey dowser or anyone else who knows - please explain about the different Pzero variants and I'll split them up in the survey. I'm afraid I don't know how many variants there are...

It looks like the TOYO T1Rs are rampaging up through the ratings...:norty:

Cosmic37 01 March 2006 03:12 PM

So when you say "good dispersal of standing water" how do you know? Is this down to the drenched urchins by the side of the road you can see in your mirrors?
:lol:

Buckrogers 01 March 2006 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
(Although they seem to wear very easy on a track, grooves peel off)

I have done 530 Nurburing miles and 900 miles there and back on F1's, very good tyre. Had no uneven wear issues, although I did increase the psi to 38 each corner whilst on track. (Normally run 31psi on the road).

Buck