ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Car Care (https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/)
-   -   Rumours of a new UK law (https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/494834-rumours-of-a-new-uk-law.html)

StickyMicky 23 February 2006 06:01 PM

Rumours of a new UK law

There has been a rumour kicking about in my area for a while now, which is that within the next few years, the UK government is going to ban all carwashing anywhere except a designated car cleaning site.

Apparently this is to stop the uk drains etc etc, being filled with waste car shampoo, and this is apparently affecting river wildlife etc etc.

This has been told to me via 2 different sources, and i am told that Canada operates a rule like this?

a google search a few weeks back did not bring up anything decent.
from what i have been told, this will end pretty much all hand washing sites unless they spend on water waste treatments/filters and big storage tanks.
most mechanical washing sites already have these in place, this law happens, this will pretty much shut down all mobile valeting business as well.

anybody got any info?

Northern Scoob 23 February 2006 06:24 PM

so does this mean you wont be able to clean your own car? manufacturers will go out of business if you cant

Phil

StickyMicky 23 February 2006 06:30 PM

if it is true, you can only clean your car at a designated site, not outside your house etc etc

cant find any info on it myself, but i still hear about this all the time from people in my area.

also heard about this from an engineer that fixes my site ;)

Flatcapdriver 23 February 2006 06:34 PM

I can't see it happening myself, although some form of legislation concerning the detergent's constituents may come into force. I doubt that the pollution is as bad as the amount of salt put onto road services during winter.

IanK Spec C 23 February 2006 06:50 PM

I'm sure it will happen when we become part of Euroland. It's been policy in Germany for a while.

Regards,

Ian

360ste 23 February 2006 07:22 PM

The only reason I can see it happening for is if we get more drought's. But as they say if global warming continues in a number of years we will all have boats any way. Maybe a couple of hundred or so.

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

Flatcapdriver 23 February 2006 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by IAN K UK300
I'm sure it will happen when we become part of Euroland. It's been policy in Germany for a while.

Regards,

Ian

We are in Euroland and I believe that this law only applies to public streets. You are allowed to wash your car on your own drive.

Phil 23 February 2006 07:58 PM

Tis true

We are not allowed to wash our lorries without several thousand pounds worth of new drainage put in designed to catch all the dirty stuff into a tank

We have had Environmental people round threatening us with all sorts

Rich @ PB 23 February 2006 09:41 PM

SEPA are already knocking on doors in Lothian if they catch sight of anyone using a pressure washer and foam gun. Washing by bucket is not causing a problem yet. No problems this far north... yet. However, as long as you can demonstrate that what you are putting down the drains is fully biodegradable then SEPA will give consent to continue as you are guv. :)

StickyMicky 23 February 2006 10:31 PM

looks like it is going to happen then

thought it might, just a question of time :D :D
looking forward to this :D

Northern Scoob 23 February 2006 11:36 PM

using my psychic abilities i see stickymicky rubbing hands together looking at a large que of dirty cars!:lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

price increase? lol

Phil

SirFozzalot 24 February 2006 10:43 AM

Time to start a car wash business I think! :norty:

yoza 24 February 2006 11:13 AM

Its true.....

Also new cars that are mass parked at Plants like the Ford plant at Halewood have to be park in "Bunded" areas incase they have leakages of oil or other fluids, also they are not happy with the wax stuff sprayed on the cars to protect them.

The rainwater is then collected and treated before returing to drains, how mad is that.

StickyMicky 24 February 2006 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Northern Scoob
using my psychic abilities i see stickymicky rubbing hands together looking at a large que of dirty cars!:lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

price increase? lol

Phil

TO RIGHT :D :D :D

where theres muck theres brass :D :D :D
will be glad to see the mass of dodgy handwashes disapearing as well, not because they affect me, but because they kill all the ickle little fishys in the river :lol:

StickyMicky 24 February 2006 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by SirFozzalot
Time to start a car wash business I think! :norty:

i know a bloke who was trying to build his own and TBH the costs involved to do it properly are fooken huge

last count was 750K including buying some land from the local kwicksave car park :eek:

i priced up a decent 100car/hour wash and i think from memory it was over 250k just for parts :eek:

if this law passes, you will see a lot more petrol stations offering a rollover wash system IMO

Rich @ PB 24 February 2006 12:45 PM

And a lot more swirls for us detailers to fix - oh goody! What's it you do Micky? That's a lot of start up capital, I knew it was a lot for fixed sites, but not that much. All I can say is thank god the newer waterless wash products coming on to the market are good - think this coming summer might be the time to do a group test and try out various methods.

StickyMicky 24 February 2006 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
And a lot more swirls for us detailers to fix - oh goody! What's it you do Micky? That's a lot of start up capital, I knew it was a lot for fixed sites, but not that much. All I can say is thank god the newer waterless wash products coming on to the market are good - think this coming summer might be the time to do a group test and try out various methods.

cant see the waterless stuff lasting tbh

people like new things, the waterless stuff is "new" so people will try it out, you can not beat water IMO

what do i do
i run a conveyour car wash and own a valeting buisiness :D
car wash does about 30k cars a year
cant remember the figures for the valeting buisiness but it does ok ;)

Rich @ PB 24 February 2006 01:19 PM

Keeps you busy then! I agree on the water front, just thinking about water issues and speed. A lot of the pro detailers in the states use waterless washes in both the summer and winter, when drought and freezing temps prevent wet washing. Although waterless washes nearly always result in some marring, 'tis not a problem when you are going to machine polish anyway.

StickyMicky 24 February 2006 01:32 PM

keeps me busy enough, although today with the poor initial weather,i have mainly spent the day sitting in the office while my top "man" has done me 4 mini valets :D

Rich @ PB 24 February 2006 01:57 PM

Excellent guv - the best way to work. :D

StickyMicky 24 February 2006 02:45 PM

found this after some searching while bored today

RE: Mobile Detailing Runoff Laws: bud abraham: 2/27/2003 9:03:36 PM
Jeff:
Just spoke to a detailer friend of mine last night in the LA area. He tells me that LA and Orange County are now issuing $1000 citations for washing cars in the street with no affluent retention device.

The government has come down on local authorities for their lack enforcement of the law and they are hitting it hard. No more warning as before, they are issuing citations.

As you may have read in PCWD it is against the law in San Diego to wash a car anywhere in the street.

Regards
Bud A

StickyMicky 01 January 2008 04:23 PM

BUMPFF

looks like movement has started

http://publications.environment-agen...07BMDX-e-e.pdf

god dam i predicted this **** nearly 2 years ago LOL

bye bye to most imigrant handwash outfits within 2 years IMHO

Tim Bomford 01 January 2008 10:32 PM

Depressing reading....

kilo_4que 01 January 2008 11:06 PM

Sorry to say but this would be one law I would definately break

bugeyeandy 01 January 2008 11:21 PM

Me too :(

COLZO 02 January 2008 11:24 PM

This is interesting. So you can`t wash your car because of the contaminates (detergent, brake dust etc) unless the drainage is going to a sewer, so this means you can`t jet wash your drive because the jet wash uses too much water and the driveway could also contain contaminates. Better not tell the Wheelie Bin Wash guy this! I love being a motorist! :rolleyes:

newbiefreddy 08 January 2008 10:52 PM

:wonder: does this mean that all the foreign guys walking round Tescos car park hand washing cars shouldn't be.

As they aren't following any of the requirements. The only thing they seem to do is minimise the use of water as they have to carry it around in trolleys.

scooby-tc 08 January 2008 11:18 PM

This country has gone to **** in a big way.How does washing your car differ from doing the washing up using detergents or bleaching the sink/toilet etc all fluids end up in the same place.Are the government going to start banning domestic cleaning aswell

TW@TS !!!!

AK02AFK 08 January 2008 11:18 PM

I use pressure washer and have the local water people come round, showed them that it's hooked up to 2 big water butts from rain water from the gutter, filtered then using an old drill i've created a pressure valve before it reaches the pressure washer to push the water from the butt to the pressure washer.

Needless to say they soon lost the smug look and left.

Does this mean they might be back soon if this law takes place?

Surely I can just wash car with water only thus not putting chemicals into drains?

StickyMicky 09 January 2008 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by newbiefreddy (Post 7543201)
:wonder: does this mean that all the foreign guys walking round Tescos car park hand washing cars shouldn't be.

As they aren't following any of the requirements. The only thing they seem to do is minimise the use of water as they have to carry it around in trolleys.

that is technically correct :thumb:

how well this will be enforced, we will have to wait and see, but this country is becoming more and more anal by the day so its safe to say that in the future i would assume it WILL be enforced.