ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   New RS4 test drive - first impressions (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/494521-new-rs4-test-drive-first-impressions.html)

Deep Singh 22 February 2006 03:19 PM

New RS4 test drive - first impressions

Popped into my local Audi dealer when passing and he let me have a look over the RS4 in the workshop. NO test drives until Mar1st though!

Looks really nice. A little 'square' but very purposeful and muscular. Recaro seats with inflating side bolsters very sexy! It was in Misano(sp?) red which suited it. Looks better than the photos. He managed to talk me into a test drive Saturday week! I'll let you know what it was like.

ps very expensive though, £50k!!!

spectrum48k 22 February 2006 04:43 PM

I'm changing the M3 next March and will definitely check these out at some point. Miss AWD of my old scoob, so was thinking of an S4 or at a push, an RS4.

Seem a little bland in the photos so I'm looking forward to seeing one in the flesh.

john banks 22 February 2006 04:49 PM

Would love one if it had DSG and a few turbos :D

ScoobyTal 22 February 2006 08:28 PM

they dont do a dsg it cant take the torque

TopBanana 22 February 2006 08:38 PM

I thought it was because they hadn't developed DSG for longitudinal engines? No turbos so not enormous torque.

I could get 20% off one through a family member. Even at 40k they look expensive

Deep Singh 22 February 2006 09:04 PM

I'm sure DSG will be on its way soon? They have egear for the lambos. Is it that different?

TopB, if you can get 20% off then you've missed out on a goodun. You could have bought it, driven it for at least 6 months and sold it on for a few grand profit.

jameswrx 22 February 2006 09:12 PM

Would love one if it had DSG and a few turbos
Makes me twitchy too (the thought of buying a performance car without a turbo charger) :D

SPEN555 22 February 2006 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
I'm sure DSG will be on its way soon? They have egear for the lambos. Is it that different?

TopB, if you can get 20% off then you've missed out on a goodun. You could have bought it, driven it for at least 6 months and sold it on for a few grand profit.

Exactly :D At that discount you can't go wrong :D Smells like that brown stuff to me.

Northern Scoob 22 February 2006 11:07 PM

have the rs4s not got the same engine as the rs6? - christ i should really know working for audi/vw but we havnt had any in yet :lol1:

Phil

sti-04!! 22 February 2006 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by SPEN555
Exactly :D At that discount you can't go wrong :D Smells like that brown stuff to me.

I doubt its brown stuff ;)

If only i could justify the fuel cost to my Directors :brickwall :D, though the 535d is the BEST car i have ever owned:notworthy

The Chief 22 February 2006 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Northern Scoob
have the rs4s not got the same engine as the rs6? - christ i should really know working for audi/vw but we havnt had any in yet :lol1:

Phil

No - the RS6 has got twin turbo's the RS4 is normally aspirated - Booo!

P1Fanatic 22 February 2006 11:44 PM

Was it the S4 or the RS4 that Clarkson drove againts the rock climber in Top Gear. Whatever it was the sound was mint.

Simon.

banny sti 22 February 2006 11:52 PM

That was the RS4 and it did sound awesome!!

big MO 23 February 2006 07:51 AM

They are awesome. Had a go in one in December at Donny (courtesy of Audi UK). Slightly louder than my RS6, but not a lot in it powerwise. If it wasn't smaller I'd have it in March.

brickboy 23 February 2006 08:50 AM

a few turbos
How many is a few? ;):D:D

Rob D 23 February 2006 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by ScoobyTal
they dont do a dsg it cant take the torque

The Bugatti Veyron uses a DSG gearbox! :D

GrollySTI 23 February 2006 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rob D
The Bugatti Veyron uses a DSG gearbox! :D

Yes but that gearbox probably cost more to make than an entire RS4 does:lol1:

sgcooby 23 February 2006 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by TopBanana
I thought it was because they hadn't developed DSG for longitudinal engines?

Correct. Bit of a pain, would have been nice on the RS4 or even the S4. Not that it will ever be a problem for me. Dam it.

stilover 23 February 2006 10:04 AM

My dad picks his up in the first week in March. He got a phone call from Audi on Monday telling him that as they speak, it's on the ferry heading for England. :thumb: Can't wait. He's ordered it in Black. :cool:

big MO 23 February 2006 03:17 PM

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

sgcooby 23 February 2006 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by stilover
My dad picks his up in the first week in March. He got a phone call from Audi on Monday telling him that as they speak, it's on the ferry heading for England. :thumb: Can't wait. He's ordered it in Black. :cool:

Is he interested in adoption??

TopBanana 23 February 2006 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
If only i could justify the fuel cost to my Directors :brickwall :D, though the 535d is the BEST car i have ever owned:notworthy

Isn't the ride a bit hard? Haven't driven one yet but they look quite interesting

lol @ the brown stuff comment! :wonder: :Whatever_

Nat 23 February 2006 04:39 PM

Lol at people booing it because it doesn't have Turbos :rolleyes: :lol1: When an engine is making over 100BHP per litre normally aspirated you don't need to cheat your way to power with turbos. I think the torque/power curves on the new RS4 speak for themselves if anyone can be bothered to find and show them here!

jameswrx 23 February 2006 05:20 PM

Lol at people booing it because it doesn't have Turbos
For some people (myself included) the forced induction thing is due to knowing there's always scope for upgrade in performance.

TopBanana 23 February 2006 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by jameswrx
For some people (myself included) the forced induction thing is due to knowing there's always scope for upgrade in performance.

... but for others the throttle response of a good N/A engine beats that hands down

AudiLover 23 February 2006 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by TopBanana
... but for others the throttle response of a good N/A engine beats that hands down

And if you have enough money you can slap a turbo or supercharger on anything.

john banks 23 February 2006 07:11 PM

Nat21 I find my >100 BHP/litre NA engine a bit lacking in the trouser department ;) and could do with a bit of forced induction, but it would just slide everywhere if I did that.

Gav 23 February 2006 07:17 PM

I cant wait to see one in the flesh:D:D:D

jameswrx 23 February 2006 07:51 PM

but for others the throttle response of a good N/A engine beats that hands down
And for some 8 seats and a towbar beats throttle responce and turbo shove!

It was only 'my' preference :)

Deep Singh 23 February 2006 07:55 PM

I used to be a turbo addict, hence 4 Scoobs owned.

I've been driving a supercharged car for the last two years and the low down pull of that is a revelation( not so good at the top end though)

Out of all the cars I drove last year the biggest disappointment was the 996 turbo, and thats a twin turbo. You have to drive 'around' the turbos, that means its less of a drivers car. The only turbo car I've driven where the response is next to instant is the Noble.That maybe due to the fact that it weighs 1000kgs

A decent 350 BHP/300lbs/ft in a na car is worth more than a 400BHP turbo charged car. The lag in the turbo car, no matter how small, is enough to make it a lesser 'drivers' car. Much like an automatic vs manual. I presume thats why the 997s felt so much better than 996 tt. The fact that the 996tt can out drag it means nothing to me.