ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Goth Rock (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/493882-goth-rock.html)

MattW 20 February 2006 11:34 AM

Goth Rock

Been watching a bit of Scuzz at the weekend and came across "Within Temptation" so popped out and bought the latest album. Have to say it's very good :thumb:

STi-Frenchie 20 February 2006 12:18 PM

Lead singer is a bit tasty too :)

drumsterphil 20 February 2006 12:18 PM

I think 'Within Temptation' are pretty poor IMO. It's the same with Nightwish - can't quite see what the deal is (I have Once and find it just sooo cheesy).

Recommend Lacuna Coil esp. Comalies (along the same lines as WI but with the hottest front-woman I've seen).

Not suprising we haven't seen another album from Evanescence - they've had their day (but made a shed-load of cash so good luck to them).

MattW 20 February 2006 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by drumsterphil
Not suprising we haven't seen another album from Evanescence - they've had their day (but made a shed-load of cash so good luck to them).

Currently in the studio recording follow up to "Fallen"

drumsterphil 20 February 2006 12:32 PM

They've been in the studio for the last year. Since Ben Moody left I think they're in real trouble.

Meet Cristina of Lacuna Coil (swoon) -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...acoilhot01.jpg

Iwan 20 February 2006 12:53 PM

They've been in the studio for the last year. Since Ben Moody left I think they're in real trouble.

Only time will tell on that one. But don't forget that Amy had a big part in writing most of their stuff, it's not as if she's just there to sing and look nice. With any luck she'll pull off a decent 2nd album, I'm hoping it'll be stuff more along the lines of "My Immortal" and "Hello" on Fallen. :)

drumsterphil 20 February 2006 01:03 PM

My main criticism of 'Fallen' was that all the songs had pretty much the same feel and tempo and it became (IMO) repetitive after the genius of Bring Me Back To Life (this and Tourniquet being my fav tracks of the album).

I hope that the new album does see the light of day, but I'll stand by my doubts as to whether it'll be any good.

MattW 20 February 2006 01:41 PM

TBH I think the tracks sound much better live, the album versions do sound repetitive on first listen. My favourites are Everybody's fool and Hauntd, bt the live cover of Thoughless was brilliant.

Ben Moody left well before the 2nd tour (headlining the bigger venues) of the US\Europe, I saw them 2 or 3 times across both tours and felt that without Moody they were a lot heavier.

Amy Lee has already stated the new tracks are very Evanescence but acknowledges that they can't just turn out the same stuff, I really hope they do pull it off but even to achieve half the sales of fallen will be a major achievement.

How many bands have released a more competent 2nd album only for it to misfire in terms of sales though.

acts of kill kill carnage 20 February 2006 02:18 PM

what about REAL goth music...? the Mission? the Cure...? The Sisters of Mercy...? none of this modern rubbish for me thanks!!

drumsterphil 20 February 2006 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by acts of kill kill carnage
what about REAL goth music...? the Mission? the Cure...? The Sisters of Mercy...? none of this modern rubbish for me thanks!!

Were any of these any good? Must have passed me by, oh well! :thumb:

acts of kill kill carnage 20 February 2006 04:53 PM

was about 20 years ago, when goth was still goth! :D

drumsterphil 20 February 2006 05:00 PM

Sh1t - just realised it was 20 years ago that I first came across Metallica and Megadeth - oh god, I'm feeling old now! :o :D

Daniel-S 20 February 2006 05:01 PM

How about a bit of trance or house

:notworthy

drumsterphil 20 February 2006 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel-S
How about a bit of trance or house

:notworthy

This is a thread about MUSIC! ;)

However, feel free to start your own thread! :thumb:

acts of kill kill carnage 20 February 2006 05:14 PM

Sh1t - just realised it was 20 years ago that I first came across Metallica and Megadeth - oh god, I'm feeling old now! :o :D

i saw Megadeth play Monsters of Rock in the late 80's i think :eek:

Daniel-S 20 February 2006 05:25 PM

Oh and i suppose grown men wearing make up and moaning is music?

:norty:

drumsterphil 20 February 2006 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel-S
Oh and i suppose grown men wearing make up and moaning is music?

:norty:

Well, all the bands mentioned at the start of this thread are fronted by women (and yes, it's ok with me if they wear makeup if they want!) ;)

Daniel-S 20 February 2006 05:40 PM

Glad someone noticed

Poor Guy 20 February 2006 06:02 PM

Cradle. Cradle! CRADLE!

16vmarc 20 February 2006 06:05 PM

Were any of these any good? Must have passed me by, oh well! :thumb:

The Cure passed you by, how old are you lol :eek:

Unless ive missed some sarcasm there! :Suspiciou

drumsterphil 20 February 2006 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by 16vmarc

Unless ive missed some sarcasm there! :Suspiciou

Yep, you missed some sarcasm ;) (33 btw)

Iwan 20 February 2006 06:57 PM

I used to be seriously into the Cure years ago, as well as G'n'R, Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer etc. I tried really hard to 'get' the Cult, Sisters etc but it just wasn't my thing at all. I know Evanescence is nothing like 'proper' goth, but I really like it all the same. Fallen (or the live CD) is probably the one I listen to most out of my collection.

16vmarc 20 February 2006 06:59 PM

Ive seen the Cult live, so :cool:

wayne9t9 20 February 2006 08:15 PM

I remember seeing Judas Priest waaaaaaaay back. I`ve been in love with Amy though for some time ;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/wayne9t9/6.jpg

MattW 20 February 2006 10:49 PM

Sharon Den Adel (Within Temptation)

http://es.geocities.com/doradebox/within01.jpg

GrahamG 20 February 2006 10:54 PM

http://images.art.com/images/-/Evane...C10106559.jpeg

Now she is fine! :D

Miss Kinky 21 February 2006 07:53 AM

Goth women are very beautiful... :D

acts of kill kill carnage 21 February 2006 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
Ive seen the Cult live, so :cool:

i've seen the Damned a few times, and Sisters of Mercy and a few lesser known goth groups - Sins of the FLesh and Ruibicon to name a couple...

seen countless heavy rock groups, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Judas Priest etc etc... :D :D :D

STi-Frenchie 21 February 2006 09:19 AM

Please, don't bring The Cure into a thread about music. :)

Crazy Chick 21 February 2006 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by acts of kill kill carnage

Now we're talking. :thumb: