ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   Setup Sigma M30 to work from ignition key c/l buttons? (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/492842-setup-sigma-m30-to-work-from-ignition-key-c-l-buttons.html)

vertew 15 February 2006 11:41 PM

Setup Sigma M30 to work from ignition key c/l buttons?

Hi,

I've just ordered a new MY06 WRX (my 4th scooby!). Bye bye to my STi MY02. I'll need to fit a CAT1 alarm, so I'll go for the usual Sigma M30.

Am I right that UK scoobys have the Sigma M30 installed so that it activates / deactivates from the remote central locking buttons on the standard Subaru ignition key?

Would be v nice to to this, then I won't need to carry around the M30 key fob on my key ring.

Have I got this right - can this be done?
If so, does anyone know how / who can do it?

cheers vm.

Sigma Sam 17 February 2006 09:30 AM

Thanks for looking at purchasing another Sigma M30, however, the M-Series systems have now been superceded in the aftermarket by the latest S-Series systems.
These retain all the M-Series features and reliability, but are more compact units with a number of additional features.

Due to the difficulty in changing vehicle wiring harnesses on the production line at FHI, mid-model, the M30 has continued to be produced solely for Subaru until the launch of the 08MY vehicles, but is no longer available as a kit in the aftermarket.

Unfortunately, the tranmission protocol of the S-Series differs to that of the M-Series so the Radio Keys are not interchangeable, therefore, untill the launch of the S-Series systems onto Subaru vehicles for 08MY, an S-Series transmitter PCB that fits within the key housing is yet to be developed - as the key shape itself may yet change for 08MY.
if you are having a Sigma S-Series system fitted, I'm afraid you will have to continue to use the separate S-Series Remote, atleast until the new part becomes available for S-Series systems mid 2007.

The rest of this post relates to the M30 system only.

Sigma M30 transmiter built into original gnition Key:
For the UK cars (from 02MY) the M30 transmitter PCB was redesigned to fit within the ignition key housing.
As you are probably aware, from having previous Sigma systems, the M30 is armed/disarmed from a single button, wheras the original FHI key housing (Euro spec) has two separate buttons to lock and unlock the vehicle . A new top section therefore ,had to be tooled for the ignition key housing to replace the two button item.
The PCB to work a Sigma M30 and the single button ignition key top section are available as a single part from a Subaru dealer (part number SACC 3507 - iro £43). This will complet one key, so 2 of these will be necessary to complete a pair.
The existing rubber "button" section is retained, but the right-hand buton must be cut off flush with a craft knife. The original two button key top section and original PCB within can be discarded.

NB: Asalready mentioned, this part will only operate a Sigma M30 system, NOT the latest Sigma S30 systems which superceded the M30 in the aftermarket nearly 2 years ago.
Untill the launch of the Sigma S-Series systems onto Subaru vehicles for 08MY, an S30 PCB that fits within the key housing is yet to be developed - as the key shape may yet change for 08MY!

Programming:
This can be performed yourself, using the alarm's keypad programmer that will be fitted somewhere in the vehicle.
Just follow the section below:
- Arm and then Disarm the system using one of the standard Sigma Radio Keys.
- Within 30 seconds of disarming, type into the keypad- *17856*91*n# (where n is the total number of keys required to work the system)
- Press each Radio Key briefly in turn (the dash board LED will flash and the siren beep each time)
- Once the nth Radio Key has been programmed, you should be able to arm/disarm the system using any of the Radio Keys programmed.

It is essential that all Radio Keys required to operate the system are programmed together. Any keys not present during the programming sequence above will no longer operate the system.
Up to 4 Radio Keys can be taught to the system.

Instructions on doing this can also be found in the security systems Operating Instructions. A link to a copy of these also used to be available at:
http://www.subaru-impreza.org/subaru...pic.php?t=2476
However I'm not sure if this link still works.

When using the keypad always observe the following points:
- The PIN number should not be entered too quickly or too slowly - when a digit has been pressed the small LED built into the keypad will illuminate briefly as confirmation and only then should the next digit be entered.
- If an incorrect digit is pressed or the delay between entering digits exceeds10 seconds, then the LED above the keypad will flash rapidly and the PIN attempt should be abborted and started again after 30 seconds.
- Due to the small size of the keypad some users may find a rubber tipped pencil easier to use. DO NOT use the sharp tip of a ball point pen etc, or press excessively hard on the keypad as this will only damage the membrane and cause a digit to remain pressed, causing a continual incorrect PIN.
- The keypad allows only THREE PIN attempts and then will "Lock Up" if an incorrect number is entered a third time. This is a security feature to prevent random PIN attempts disarming the system.

Hope this helps.
SS

vertew 17 February 2006 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sigma Sam
Thanks for looking at purchasing another Sigma M30, however, the M-Series systems have now been superceded in the aftermarket by the latest S-Series systems [...] Hope this helps.
SS

SS - Wow, that's a great post, thanks for the expert info !!

I might yet try and pick up an M30 if anyone still has some old stock. If not I'll go for the new S-Series.

Can anyone recommend good alarm fitter who knows scoobs in approximate Herts area?

cheers vm.

smartbase 21 February 2006 01:54 PM

I've just seen a couple of M30 kits on ebay. They are new but not sure if you could get them installed by a Thatcham approved installer.

weemac2000 16 August 2006 09:15 AM

Vertew: did you get an M30 alarm fitted ok? did you get the VSIB ticket stamped?

vertew 16 August 2006 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by weemac2000
Vertew: did you get an M30 alarm fitted ok? did you get the VSIB ticket stamped?

I actually ended up with a Sigma S30, which seems fine. Sorry - not sure what an VSIB is. Cheers.