ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Being stalked online (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/492127-being-stalked-online.html)

Hot Legs 13 February 2006 01:28 PM

Being stalked online

If you're being stalked on the internet is there anything you can do about it?

Someone I know is being "watched" (comments on forums) and thinks that the stalker may even be accessing her pc...?

mart360 13 February 2006 01:32 PM

get them set up with a firewall, blocks remote acess, and them to contact there isp.

after that its down to them..

Mart

Markus 13 February 2006 01:35 PM

Agree with Mart, they need to firstly make sure their PC is free from viruses, spyware/adware and get a firewall installed.

That should stop anyone remotley getting into her PC.

She should also contact the Administratror of the forum/forums she is on, where she believes she is being stalked, and tell them what is going on, give them a few links to the threads where the alleged stalker is making comments. Hopefully they'll do something about it.

Hot Legs 13 February 2006 01:43 PM

thanks for the advice - she's actually too scared to use her pc any more! i'll go round at the weekend and check for a firewall and adware and stuff...

i'll also contact the forums she uses.

OllyK 13 February 2006 01:43 PM

A small note on AV / A-Spyware - no one program will give you absolute protection and whatever you get, make sure you get regular updates.

Hot Legs 13 February 2006 01:44 PM

thanks again :D

Karl 227 13 February 2006 01:47 PM

Without wishing to be publicly stoned, may I ask if she has a provocative username, such as Bigbaps, Sexybumfluff, Upforit, Eye-Sa-wallow, or Hot Legs? ;)

Just a thought :)

mart360 13 February 2006 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Hot Legs
thanks for the advice - she's actually too scared to use her pc any more! i'll go round at the weekend and check for a firewall and adware and stuff...

i'll also contact the forums she uses.

why,

Unless the dubious person in question has installed something on her pc, she will be as anonymous as anyone else on the nest (within reason), she is only a target when she access's the chat rooms / forums where she,s having problems.

given that most ip addresses there days are not fixed(you pay a premium) then in normal use, she should be fine.

It may be worthwile to advise against the use of chatrooms / forums, as clearly they are vunerable.. or at best enlighten them to some of the problems

as a start

spybot search and destroy

zone alarm

avg or similar antivirus

cws shredder (to check for cws infection)

spyware guard (to eliminate homepage redirections)

and it may pay to change browser from IE to firefox

All the above are free downloads.

I would also up her permissions & trusted zone levels to filter out some sites

Mart

Hot Legs 13 February 2006 01:54 PM

erm no, no saying her user name but its a perfectly normal user name...

oh and she thinks she knows her stalker (who is another woman btw) - which is half the problem... just asked her if she wanted me to add any more to this thread, and she said that her stalker has got hold of her home address as she's had mail from this person!!

ALi-B 13 February 2006 01:54 PM

Using names such as "hot legs" isn't exacltly inconspicuous either ;)

Stop using current user names. And use different user names for any other forums, also do not use the same names for photobucket (or similar public webspace) accounts. And remove or lock any personal pictures or images of your cars number plates, or house name/number/street or with somthing in the background that can pinpoint the location (such as a pub name, or a business sign). Also remove such information and links from your profile (both on forums and MSN) Use a generic webmail account for ALL BBS related correspondence.

As there are sites that can cross-reference usernames postings across many forums, ( such as http://www.boardtracker.com/ ), and it also prevents them using google to dig futher stuff up.

Then there's the usual firewall/anti-virus/spyware precautions that ALL users of the internet should employ before even dreaming of going on-line.

Karl 227 13 February 2006 01:59 PM

Another woman is she? :norty:

Crazy Chick 13 February 2006 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Karl 227
Another woman is she? :norty:

Karl. :mad:

OllyK 13 February 2006 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by mart360
given that most ip addresses there days are not fixed(you pay a premium)

No need to pay a premium these days, I certainly don't for mine, it's standard part of my ISP's broadband package.

Hot Legs 13 February 2006 02:02 PM

i've only used Hot Legs to sign up for this forum to ask for advice. it's not my usual log in on any forum and its from the Rod Stewart song (giving my age away a bit!)

as far as i know she hasn't put any piccies up on forums that could give her location away, and she hasn't put her location on any forum. could be wrong here. she feels as though the person stalking her is doing it for personal reasons (probably over a man knowing her!!)

i'll sort her pc out at the weekend

thanks everyone for your help :D

Apparition 13 February 2006 02:08 PM

Had this prob a few years ago. The only way I stopped it in the end was to change my user name completely.
Yve

lightning101 13 February 2006 02:10 PM

Whats her name ?

Hot Legs 13 February 2006 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by lightning101
Whats her name ?

like i'm gonna say on here!!

ALi-B 13 February 2006 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by lightning101
Whats her name ?

Talking of stalkers :D:D

Got a picture of me yet 101? :p

New_scooby_04 13 February 2006 02:59 PM

If you're being stalked on the internet is there anything you can do about it?

Post a message on a forum falsely admiting you're actually a 55 year old sweaty, balding bloke! :eek:

That should do it!! ;) :D :lol1:

Ns04

Spoon 13 February 2006 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Apparition
Had this prob a few years ago. The only way I stopped it in the end was to change my user name completely.
Yve

Yes, and changing your username would help more if you didn't sign off with your name too :D
Yve

Hot Legs 13 February 2006 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Post a message on a forum falsely admiting you're actually a 55 year old sweaty, balding bloke! :eek:

That should do it!! ;) :D :lol1:

Ns04

:lol: :lol:

actually i'm a 55 year old sweaty balding bloke with lots of body hair!! :eek:

(not really - at least i wasn't when i last checked!)

Spoon 13 February 2006 03:33 PM

:lol: :lol:

actually i'm a 55 year old sweaty balding bloke with lots of body hair!! :eek:

(not really - at least i wasn't when i last checked!)

Certainly not until your next Birthday anyway. :lol1:

Hot Legs 13 February 2006 03:46 PM

next birthday? i should be so lucky - several birthday's ago!!

no really i'm much younger, definitely female, and drop dead gorgeous (according to my man...)

oobster 13 February 2006 04:03 PM

This thread is useless without pics :D

acts of kill kill carnage 13 February 2006 04:05 PM

she's probably a right old dog!

Huxley 13 February 2006 06:33 PM

Oh the mods in Moderators discussion will be having a laugh at this one :D:D

Why do people use different user names :notworthy

They know who you are :lol1: "well most of the time" :Suspiciou

ALi-B 13 February 2006 07:57 PM

The Dynamic IP addressing sort of screw it up though hux...if your clever enough to change it as and when you need to, or use proxies ;):norty:

Raartoot 13 February 2006 08:23 PM

i've only used Hot Legs to sign up for this forum to ask for advice. it's not my usual log in on any forum and its from the Rod Stewart song (giving my age away a bit!)

as far as i know she hasn't put any piccies up on forums that could give her location away, and she hasn't put her location on any forum. could be wrong here. she feels as though the person stalking her is doing it for personal reasons (probably over a man knowing her!!)

i'll sort her pc out at the weekend

thanks everyone for your help :D

:wonder: May I ask why you wanted to sign up on Scoobynet and wanted to ask a load of Scooby heads for advice on a stalker?:wonder: ...

of course there is nothing wrong with that "hot legs"(:norty: ) but just curious!!!

Is it cos you wanted to feel the same affection we share for our Scoobys ;)

..whats wrong with stalking anyway:Suspiciou

sti-04!! 14 February 2006 08:15 AM

Deer Stalking ?? :confused:

fitzscoob 14 February 2006 08:24 AM

she said that her stalker has got hold of her home address as she's had mail from this person!!

If she is that worried about it, and the person has her home address, why hasnt she spoken with the police?