ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Definitive tyre answer needed quickly. (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/492060-definitive-tyre-answer-needed-quickly.html)

Bubba po 13 February 2006 09:04 AM

Definitive tyre answer needed quickly.

I have to replace a tyre today because a bleb has appeared in the sidewall. It's ready for replacement anyway. The other tyre on the same axle is pretty good still. Am I all right to just replace the one tyre?

TIA.

GrahamG 13 February 2006 09:08 AM

If the one your replacing has worn down a lot more then the other i would get the tracking looked at.

Just replace one and get them both balanced and tracking checked.

G.

Bubba po 13 February 2006 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by GrahamG
If the one your replacing has worn down a lot more then the other i would get the tracking looked at.

Just replace one and get them both balanced and tracking checked.

G.

The one was worn down more because the other one got popped and was replaced. The wear difference was much less than now, though. The car's just had a service and the tracking was done as a matter of course. So I should be all right then. Nice. :)

pslewis 13 February 2006 09:13 AM

I would always replace in pairs ............

Or at least replace for the exact same tyre as on the other end of the axle ...

Now, if I was a ScoobyNet Anal, I would tell you that the drive system will 'spool up' and you will wear the propshaft out due to the angle at which the car will now by running, that the MAF sensor will fail due to the inbalance and how the CockLink might start picking up spurious signals from the road surface ............... but I'm not - so, I won't ;) :D

Pete

GrahamG 13 February 2006 09:13 AM

Think you will be safe with just the one tyre then.

i thought you might have some wear problems.

G.

GrahamG 13 February 2006 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by pslewis
Now, if I was a ScoobyNet Anal, I would tell you that the drive system will 'spool up' and you will wear the propshaft out due to the angle at which the car will now by running, that the MAF sensor will fail due to the inbalance and how the CockLink might start picking up spurious signals from the road surface ............... but I'm not - so, I won't ;) :D

Pete

:lol:

Bubba po 13 February 2006 09:17 AM

Yes, I'll be replacing with the exact same tyre. Cheers, all. :thumb:

Steve Whitehorn 13 February 2006 09:40 AM

Although I am a cheapskate.....

On an average runabout I would bother about it and only replace one and use fairly average tyres.

But on a car like a scoob - I would ALWAYS replace both tyres Fronts/Backs and always use the best tyre you can get F1 Toyo etc.

The tyres are often the most overlooked area - which can make all the difference between an enjoyable drive with progressive loss of grip on the limit or an unexpected trip in a few a few trees.

If the tread is almost new on the good tyre - then you may be OK.

Steve :)

Bubba po 13 February 2006 09:52 AM

I'm a bit of a wussy driver - I don't think I've ever been on the limit! :D The good tyre is pretty good and it's on Goodyear Eagles ATM.

Steve Whitehorn 13 February 2006 08:13 PM

Cool...sounds like you are Ok with one then.
Cheers
Steve :)

Graz 14 February 2006 03:34 PM

Okay, not wanting to start a huge argument about ScoobyNet myths, anal procedures etc... :D

I've been told ;) that tyres should always be replaced in pairs (on the same axle) on scoobies unless a replacement can be obtained with pretty much the same wear as the original. Now I've not got much of a clue as to how a limited slip differential works, I know what they do and that my Impreza has them. Will the radius difference between a part worn tyre and new worn cause problems for the limited slip diff. :confused: or is it simply a load of rubbish :) Expert opinions sort :)