ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Do these stickers/signs work? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/491682-do-these-stickers-signs-work.html)

talizman 11 February 2006 07:21 PM

Do these stickers/signs work?

Since I've been a proud new dad since yesterday, Mrs Talizman asked me to pick us a "baby on board" badge thing for the cars.

My question is, do they actually make your average punter drive any differently when your car sports this thing? :wonder:

In my experience, folk don't seem to give a rat's ass if there is a baby in the car or not, just wondered if this was simply my pessemistic view, or if the masses actually thought they worked?

Please vote on the poll as well as feeling free to leave your opinions

Christ 11 February 2006 07:24 PM

Your joking, right??? :D

talizman 11 February 2006 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Christ
Your joking, right??? :D

I wish!

I'm hoping this will settle a disagreement between the wife and I ;)

richiewong 11 February 2006 07:33 PM

Those signs actually p1ss me off.

"Sorry mate I was going to drive into the back of you but I saw the baby on board sign"

davyboy 11 February 2006 07:39 PM

What it really says is;

"look at me, I'm a right ugly fukcer, but I'm fertile......"

KiwiGTI 11 February 2006 07:49 PM

Or perhaps they alert emergency workers that there is potentially a baby in the car when the driver is unconscious.

davyboy 11 February 2006 07:53 PM

....but what if the kid was not in the car, would they look around for it?

mart360 11 February 2006 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Or perhaps they alert emergency workers that there is potentially a baby in the car when the driver is unconscious.

Spot on!!

they are due to some cases in the states where emergency crews, missed infants in the car following serious accidents, with tragic results..

Mart

davyboy 11 February 2006 07:58 PM

So if a kiddie seat is in the car, and they have a sticker, do the emergency crews look for a baby that is not there? While maybe someone else could be needing treatment........

I don't think so.

Clarebabes 11 February 2006 07:59 PM

You'll take it out when the baby's not in the car then?

Personally they do nothing for me and I wouldn't have one. It's just showing off isn't it? ;)

mart360 11 February 2006 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by davyboy
So if a kiddie seat is in the car, and they have a sticker, do the emergency crews look for a baby that is not there? While maybe someone else could be needing treatment........

I don't think so.

Have you got kids??? if so lets try it..... how would you feel if your little one was left in a car following a fatal crash....??.

how long does it take to check a car over, torch under the seats etc...

Mart

Alas 11 February 2006 08:16 PM

I had a similar sign but saying "Dog on Board" as I have a French Mastiff but for some reason the wife made me take it out:D

MJW 11 February 2006 08:19 PM

Mine says 'No Racing Please, I have 9 points'

Deep Singh 11 February 2006 08:25 PM

Funnily enough ladies who have these signs on the back of their cars are sometimes driving whilst chatting on the mobile phone or doing their make up.

PG 11 February 2006 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by davyboy

I don't think so.

Yes, we do. The Incident Commander will appoint one of the crew to do a reccy of the surrounding area of any RTC. Standard practice. There should be sufficent personnel to carry out the required tasks within that time.
Not just looking for kids but perhaps someone who has sustained head injuries but has been able to walk from the scene to get help and could have become unconscious.
Personally I always look for "child on board" tags on approach.

16vmarc 11 February 2006 08:41 PM

I find the people that drive like twats, are the people that have these signs.

scooby-tc 11 February 2006 08:43 PM

fortunately i have rear tinted windows so pointless as no one would see it.

I wouldnt put one in my car EVER

2000TLondon 11 February 2006 09:21 PM

I think these signs are misunderstood. They are intended to tell other drivers that the woman in the X5 ;) in front of you is driving slowly / carefully as she has young children on board. Or the reason the woman in the X5 is swerving irratically across the road is because said children are arguing / climbing in front / putting car into neutral etc.

I don't think they are intended to stop would be suicide drivers from driving into you by appealing to their maternal instincts............

I've got a pair of puppies fnarr fnarr and therefore take corners and turnings more carefully and slower than usual. When people are right on my @rse wondering what te feck I'm doing, I often wish I had a sign saying DRIVING CAREFULLY DUE TO FLYING DOGS IN BACK. :D However, given the option, I wouldn't display one!

richs2891 11 February 2006 09:27 PM

Normally seen on mpv (aka vans with windows) type vehicles driven by complete loonies who think it perfectly normal to stay in the right hand lane (ignoring all signs painted on road indicating which lane turn left & right) and then turn left across the traffic, to their desired exit causing everyone else to emergency stop because they are too stupid, or selfish to read the signs and get in the correct lane.
The right hand lane is not the correct lane for taking the first exit on a roundabout dear.
Richard

slagmagnet69 11 February 2006 09:32 PM

:wonder: :brickwall

gingerboy 11 February 2006 09:52 PM

Personally I think they are hilarious, especially as where I live loads of people have them but neglect to use child seats let alone a seat belt.

The best I saw the other day was a punto behind me at the T-lights, two women in the front - the passanger had a young baby (2 months max and a toddler on her lap whilst in the back were approx 4 kids. I let them pass me on the dual and guess what was in the back? You got it, a "baby on board" sign.

Best advice I can give is invest in the best quality child seats you can afford - which I have no doubt you already have. Update seats as and when your child out grows their current one. So far we are on seat No3 for our 3 year old and have spent in the region of £300 on the 3 seats with the 9 month to 3 yrs age group seat being the most expensive @ circa £170.

Without a doubt a properly fitted child seat, that is properly fitted in a well maintained and well driven car will be far more effective at ensuring your childs safety than a £2.50 bit of plastic that no one pay's any attention too.

Good luck

GB

scoobyangel 11 February 2006 10:36 PM

i had one in my car, for a ocuple months, i found people seemed to make a point of driving even closer to my rear bumper when this sign was displayed, especially young jumped up little twats that think they are "it".. so i took the sign out of my car, dosnt mean i dont still get people driving too close, just not so many!

Chris L 11 February 2006 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by PG
Yes, we do. The Incident Commander will appoint one of the crew to do a reccy of the surrounding area of any RTC. Standard practice. There should be sufficent personnel to carry out the required tasks within that time.
Not just looking for kids but perhaps someone who has sustained head injuries but has been able to walk from the scene to get help and could have become unconscious.
Personally I always look for "child on board" tags on approach.

So what happened at RTAs before these signs existed?

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/parental/babysign.htm

hutton_d 11 February 2006 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by mart360
Have you got kids??? if so lets try it..... how would you feel if your little one was left in a car following a fatal crash....??.

how long does it take to check a car over, torch under the seats etc...

Mart

I've a kid and there is NO way that I'll have one of those ridiculous stickers in the car. The original idea is sound BUT everyone with one just leaves it in the car all the time even with no kids so paramedics etc would go searching for nowt....

Dave

J4CKO 11 February 2006 11:24 PM

'Show dogs in transit'

Oh F*ck Off.

Apparition 11 February 2006 11:29 PM

Firstly :::::Taliz....congratulations . Hope Mummy and baby are ok.

Secondly ::::::Think if the sign said STIG on board, people would pay more attention. !

Yve

talizman 12 February 2006 12:06 AM

Thanks Apparition :thumb:

My opinion, as you may have guessed was that they are the biggest load of pish under the sun, however the wife wanted them plastered all over our cars, so I thought I'd the SN masses to give their verdict to prove it isn't just me! :D

2000TLondon 12 February 2006 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Apparition
Firstly :::::Taliz....congratulations . Hope Mummy and baby are ok.

Secondly ::::::Think if the sign said STIG on board, people would pay more attention. !

Yve

Or what about a sign saying

UNBALANCED PYSCHOPATH ON BOARD

That'll probably stop tail gaters......

fast bloke 12 February 2006 12:11 AM

get a sticker that says "Radioactive waste being transported in the boot" - Bet no-one rear ends you then.

When I see "princess on board" sticker I tend to think.....' hmmmm someone not paying attention to the road' ----- might possibly make me pay them more attention than some halfwit who isn't paying any attention

MikeCardiff 12 February 2006 09:32 AM

I think in an ideal world other drivers would see it, and give you more consideration, but seeing as most drivers dont look past the end of their own bonnet when driving, then I doubt most of the idiots would even notice the sticker.