ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Police, Camera, Action! - The Liver Run (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/491533-police-camera-action-the-liver-run.html)

DaveD 10 February 2006 09:15 PM

Police, Camera, Action! - The Liver Run

I wouldn't normally sing the praises of this programme, but this episode was just shown on Men & Motors, and was a special to show 2 Essex police cars take a human liver for transplant from just south of Stanstead Airport into a London hospital. They had 35 minutes to do the trip.

A classic in all senses - the police cars were a pair of Rover SD1 3.5 litre V8 autos :thumb: , and I think the footage was from the late 1980s.
Amazing to watch the two cars tear through the London traffic - they had to drive along The Embankment and round Buckingham Pallice to name a few places.

However, what amazed me most, was the extra policing provided to control junctions and hold back traffic to create a clear run. In places the cars were driving at 60mph up the wrong side of dual carriageways, where traffic had been held, and at virtually every set of traffic lights they were waved through by another officer. Truely stunning.

I guess these days they would probably use a helicopter, but I just couldn't imagine something similar happening these days if a helicopter couldn't be used for some reason.

Oh, and they made it with 5 minutes to spare :)

A&E 10 February 2006 09:20 PM

It was fantastic, I'm now watching a fireman with a big cutter :thumb:

_Meridian_ 11 February 2006 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by DaveD
the police cars were a pair of Rover SD1 3.5 litre V8 autos

One of which broke down IIRC?

M

watto52 11 February 2006 12:18 AM

i think now they use doner transplant cars. I heard on the news not long back,that one of these cars was doing a "delivery" at high speed with blue lights flashing etc, went through a speed camera and the driver got fined. Im not 100% sure but i think it was in nottingham.

speye91 11 February 2006 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by watto52
i think now they use doner transplant cars. I heard on the news not long back,that one of these cars was doing a "delivery" at high speed with blue lights flashing etc, went through a speed camera and the driver got fined. Im not 100% sure but i think it was in nottingham.

u r spot on there he was done and given 6 pp for his troubles thats u get with pig tv

martyrobertsdj 11 February 2006 02:04 AM

I've never seen that clip.

Anyone got it on MPEG?? ;)

Scoob99 11 February 2006 10:39 AM

seen it, bloody brilliant driving, I do also beleive that one of the motor bike cops stopped riding after that because the stress was too much for him.
Cheers
Colin

DaveD 11 February 2006 02:12 PM

One of the motorbike riders blew his engine, and the drivers of the police cars did complain of fading brakes!

Scoob99 11 February 2006 02:31 PM

Anyone know how to find this clip, would love to see it again!!!!!
Cheers
colin

kirki 24 January 2009 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Scoob99 (Post 5471689)
Anyone know how to find this clip, would love to see it again!!!!!
Cheers
colin

It's a while since this question was posted but just in case someone's still looking for it...

UK Emergency Vehicles > Information > The Liver Run

Fantastic stuff. :luxhello:

The Dogs B******s 24 January 2009 09:41 PM

Good find:thumb:

what would scooby do 24 January 2009 09:51 PM

:cool: I was expecting a load of scousers doing a marathon :D

rr_ww 24 January 2009 09:59 PM

I remember this.

Good find :)

GC8 24 January 2009 10:08 PM

Both cars made it: the second was a back up in case the first was involved in a collision...

Diesel 24 January 2009 10:42 PM

Great link! Just watched it all.

Listen to their voices, their attitude, their approach... People you can look up to and respect based on this...

Makes me very nostalgic for proper approaches, attitudes and common sense in policing :( . Not the current crop of ambitious stats driven, quota counting youngsters (who call all crims/scum 'mate'), bereft of common-sense and denied discretion (and I blame politicians/civil servants/dumb chief cons more than these 'real life' coppers for this) :(

These gentlemen should have had a red QUATTRO not a severely underdamped AUTO SD1 :D:DLOL

Respect.

D