ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 is a group III hydrocracked oil (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/489117-shell-helix-ultra-5w-40-is-a-group-iii-hydrocracked-oil.html)

L66bad 04 February 2006 11:22 PM

:luxhello: Pete, I like your style. Whatever the subject matter, your (nearly) always on the other side of the fence:cuckoo: . I've followed a few of the threads you feature in (sad i know) and you always; without fail, make me laugh..............:notworthy
Keep it up mate...

D

pslewis 04 February 2006 11:40 PM

No problem ;)

Pete

P-1prodrive 05 February 2006 09:34 AM

mr lewis,you are fighting the good fight that you use the same quality oil as shell ,but for much less money.but this whole conversation is about shell helix being the same quality as comma snyerG 5-40 fully synthetic.and your useing a lesser grade 10-40 comma semi???.

so what is your argument really about?????????.

M1BJR 05 February 2006 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Oldfella
Yes, most definitely. Comma, I believe :)

Comma Comma Comma Comma, Comma comedians.... they come and go,
They come and gooooooooooooOOOOO! :D

Steve

pslewis 05 February 2006 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by P-1prodrive
mr lewis,you are fighting the good fight that you use the same quality oil as shell ,but for much less money.but this whole conversation is about shell helix being the same quality as comma snyerG 5-40 fully synthetic.and your useing a lesser grade 10-40 comma semi???.

so what is your argument really about?????????.

Not an argument, but a stance:-

1. The Standard Impreza Turbo engine will NOT be damaged by using Comma Semi.

2. There is no need to spend more than £15 for 5 Litres to protect your Standard Impreza Turbo engine.

3. Regular Oil Changes (6 months) are FAR, FAR, more important than whether you have spent £15 or £35 on the Oil.

4. If you use the Oil Subaru recommend (or an equivalent) then your big ends are NOT going to let go because of the Oil.

5. No point spending £35 on Oil and then driving like a prick ..... the engine will blow, regardless!!

6. No point spending £35 on Oil and expecting it to bring the engine into the realms of a 350BHP engine ......... 350 BHP is outside the design envelope of the engine as Subaru supplies it.

7. Low Oil level has accounted for more destroyed engines than using the recommended Oil ever has.

5. and 6. need better oils, I don't disagree, but thinking that it has some magical power to allow you to abuse your engine is fantasy land.

Pete

ZEN Performance 05 February 2006 01:29 PM

Sometimes, just sometimes, Pete talks sense. The above, taken in the context pete has laid it, it pretty much on the money I would say, especially putting in oil more frequently being more important that slightly better oil.

Paul

16vmarc 05 February 2006 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis
Not an argument, but a stance:-

350 BHP is outside the design envelope of the engine as Subaru supplies it.

Pete

Agree wth what what youve just said, apart from the above. Does anyone know the real tollerance a standard Impreza engine has been tested to? I wouldnt be surprised if 350bhp wasnt outside the design envelope as you put it. Maybe not the turbo it self however. Although maybe this is a differant subject all together and isnt relevent to this post!

MTR 05 February 2006 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by MTR
I personally have always worked on the principle 'change it often.
Four times minimum per year, irrespective of only covering low milaege in winter for example, or every 3000 miles maximum regardless of what oil it is.

Originally Posted by Zen Performance
I would say, especially putting in oil more frequently being more important that slightly better oil.
Paul

I based my philosophy on a friends speedway bike about 29 years ago, with a Weslake engine that ran a total loss oil sytsem.
It had no sump, it vented the oil stored in the frame to atmosphere, so was always running on new oil.

Cheers
MTR

pslewis 05 February 2006 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Zen Performance
Sometimes, just sometimes, Pete talks sense.
Paul

Hey!! Careful Tiger :eek: ;) :D

Pete

GrahamG 05 February 2006 03:22 PM

i'm glad you said "standard" impreza. :D

P-1prodrive 05 February 2006 09:39 PM

MTR mate, i race speedway, and the constant loss system has been done away with now,but we still use the same castrol r40.saying that,we change it every five races or so, cheers pete.