ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Worthwhile mods? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/489041-worthwhile-mods.html)

slammedmind 01 February 2006 09:58 PM

Worthwhile mods?

I was wondering in general what mods are wothwhile on an everyday driver? I have a 98 sti coupe and I was thinking these would be ok for the minute:

tein coilovers
hks or apexi induction kit
apexi power fc
aftermarket bov

could some one tell me if im headed in the right direction? I dont want an exhaust system for the minute because the car is loud enogh as it is with the standard system. The reason behind the ecu is just for future thought so that i can make the most of my upgades. any advice would be appreciated.
thanks
Rob

Bubba po 01 February 2006 10:00 PM

I would do a search on "dump valve" and "induction kit" if I were you.

You might be sick of reading after an hour or so. :D

scoobyboy1 01 February 2006 10:01 PM

I would'nt go for the Tein Coilovers as Ive heard they are really hard, and if you are using your car as a eveyday drive you'll soon have a bad back, Might be worth looking at the AST coilovers from Powerstation, and they have a Group Buy on at the moment.:)

slammedmind 01 February 2006 10:23 PM

ok done alot of reading on the whole induction kit thing and generally it seems like a good idea to stick with the standard airbox, think im going to have to look into some mods though. I can get the teins for €500 same as the cuscos so im not too sure. would a fmic be a viable mod?

Bubba po 01 February 2006 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by slammedmind
ok done alot of reading on the whole induction kit thing and generally it seems like a good idea to stick with the standard airbox, think im going to have to look into some mods though. I can get the teins for €500 same as the cuscos so im not too sure. would a fmic be a viable mod?

I don't really know much myself, but what I've gleaned from reading threads is that FMICs provide better cooling/power at high speeds at the expense of increased turbo lag.

So that mod would seem to result in a less drivable everyday car. Most people seem to go for a full or partial decat with remap for relatively easy torque and power gains. :)

rooferman 01 February 2006 10:34 PM

Give Powerstation a call...Go for there Ast coilovers.....you wont be disapointed.

slammedmind 01 February 2006 10:43 PM

cool! got a link or a number? When I say everyday driver im not sure how long its going to last lol, recently just built a 240bhp(atw) 1.3 starlet and that was still my everyday driver......would have gone further with it but a 2.0 turbo as a base just proved way too tempting :notworthy

hades 01 February 2006 10:54 PM

Have some go with the brakes, braided hoses and a few uprated bits makes a nice difference as a minimum.

Rather than the induction kit or BOV, look into exhaust mods and get the APEXI mapped to suit. Powerstation are here, I'd have no problem recommending them eiher - I take my car there for servicing etc. They have a fairly regular presence on here through Andy ("Fuzz"), who is almost human (allegedly) and fairly friendly ;)

slammedmind 01 February 2006 11:00 PM

cheers for the advice lads:thumb: