ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Exhaust Popping (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/488219-exhaust-popping.html)

Newbie_Scooby 30 January 2006 11:59 AM

Exhaust Popping

Hey, just a quick one like

sometimes when changing gear after quick acceleration my car pops from the exuast! it sounds wicked, just wondering if anyone knows how to do it as it seems to happen when it wants lol

steve

bobthebodger 30 January 2006 12:05 PM

Yeah mines doin this since i fitted my jap style magnex.

Bob

Peanuts 30 January 2006 12:07 PM

its igniting the unburnt fuel in your exhaust.
happens more than likely when the exhaust is hot.
it means you are running rich

Newbie_Scooby 30 January 2006 12:08 PM

is that a bad thing??

rmtypeR 31 January 2006 09:09 PM

running rich is better than lean... too much fuel means you'll make less power, get worse MPG and chuck out more pollution, but running lean can cause det which can do nasty things like melt pistons. :eek:

It's more likely to pop (and maybe even flame) if the exhaust has been de-catted.... and that's what I'm hoping when I get my decat fitted next week! :D

scooby_matt 31 January 2006 09:32 PM

Mine pops and bangs all the time, sounds :thumb:

typerchris 31 January 2006 09:47 PM

i have a type r and mine pops and bangs like its gonna blow the street up sounds fantastic and i get flames all the way up the v6 spoiler really cool if your in a narrow street when everyone ducks down because it sounds like a shotgun:lol1:

RRH 31 January 2006 09:56 PM

Must admit mine was popping and banging like a b astard the other morning on the way to Oulton, partly because of Bobs map and partly down to two bottles of OB. Mine has no cats whatsoever, which, as pointed out above, does help. Throws rather a lot of flames too.

hall84 31 January 2006 11:28 PM

i tend to find i cant make it pop more by gently tapping the throttle as the revs start dropping. sounds awsome, jus like a shotgun!!

SC008Y 31 January 2006 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by rmtypeR
running rich is better than lean... too much fuel means you'll make less power, get worse MPG and chuck out more pollution, but running lean can cause det which can do nasty things like melt pistons. :eek:

It's more likely to pop (and maybe even flame) if the exhaust has been de-catted.... and that's what I'm hoping when I get my decat fitted next week! :D

mine has also been poping since I have had it and it will not allow me to pass the MOT emission test. I have taken the car back 3 times for retesting it and it is simply not passing.

Does anyone have any advice how I can sort it out, its drinking too much petrol but does have a cat converter.

Cheers,
SC008Y

hall84 31 January 2006 11:43 PM

has it still got both cats?

tarmac terror 01 February 2006 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by SC008Y
mine has also been poping since I have had it and it will not allow me to pass the MOT emission test. I have taken the car back 3 times for retesting it and it is simply not passing.

Does anyone have any advice how I can sort it out, its drinking too much petrol but does have a cat converter.

Cheers,
SC008Y

Could the garage's test kit be in need of calibration? May be worth trying an alternative garage...

TT

doug2507 01 February 2006 09:07 AM

One of my mates had the same problem. Think the garage fitted a std ecu to get the right figures then changed back to his 'chipped' one. Think there was a thread on it a few weeks back. Might be in the Scotland section.

GrahamG 01 February 2006 09:29 AM

Hopefully i will have my full decat fitted soon! Got thinking what is going to be like!

SC008Y 01 February 2006 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by hall84
has it still got both cats?

I thought there is only suppose to be one centerbox and the normal backbox :wonder:

rmtypeR 01 February 2006 08:46 PM

There's one in the downpipe and one in the centre. The downpipe cat is the big one and so if that's been removed then there's still a chance it will fail the MOT even with the centre one still there.