ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ICE (https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/)
-   -   what rear speakers and what amp (https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/48805-what-rear-speakers-and-what-amp.html)

matt b 14 October 2001 04:51 PM

Had a look through previous threads guys but couldnt find the definitive on rear speakers. at the mo its all standard i.e.-crap but im about to upgrade to an alpine cd receiver head unit, infinity 605s for the front, a 4 channel amp and rear speakers.
so what rears do people recommend and in what size. similarily i ve been looking into amps. my local dealer has got an offer on a phoenix gold 4 ch for £249. are they good, what else would people recommend?
Im not v knowledgable when it comes ICE so please no physics phd/ totally baffling stuff!
Finally i live in Watford. can anyone recommend a shop in the N london area that gives good advice/ sells the best gear?
cheers in advance
matt

john banks 14 October 2001 05:32 PM

The bottom line I would say is try is without changing your rear speakers - run them off the headunit at low level. I think you'll find you are satisfied. I tried aftermarket rear speakers and they are a waste of money- my front components and sub do all the work.

Gareth Allan 14 October 2001 07:55 PM

I agree totally with John, there is no reason to replace your back speakers. I have infinities in the front of mine, running about 150 W RMS from a rockford amp, with the rears run off the headunit, set to about level two on the fade.

Now, dependant on your headunit, you may have to connect your rear speakers to the front output from the head unit. The reason for this is if you have one pre out to the amp, it will be a rear line out, so your fade will think its a rear speaker. So to fade up the fronts (off the amp), and put down the rears (off the head)you have to fade backwards. (towards the line out to the amp)

Clear as mud!

jimi 15 October 2001 03:45 PM

Matt

Come over to my house and i will show you what i have found to be true.
You are best to go for a full system up grade if you can.

Cheers
JIM

iain atkins 18 October 2001 10:42 AM

Matt,

Pheonix are good amps, and are (in my experience) very versitile. What model number is it?

As for a dealer in N London, try INCA in Welwyn Garden City (Nr Hatfield) 01707 328079 - used to be my local car audio place, until i moved away. They sell Genisis stuff, which is hand made in UK.

Cheers

Iain

PS If you want to e-mail me with your number i will call you, as i might be able to help you

babber 19 October 2001 09:08 AM

Have to agree with John (but I would he's a doctor) don't even bother wasting money on rear speakers. You don't need them. I haven't bothered connecting the standard rears, as I don't like distortion.

The 605cs up front and a cheap sub and amp will provide you with plenty of volume and sound depth IMHO.

Cheers Phill C

jimi 21 October 2001 04:37 PM

Hey matt

Did you get the pics that i sent to you?

Sorry that they were a bit big but there you go i could not be helped.

Give me a call when you can.
JIM