ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   classic turbo wagon help (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/487824-classic-turbo-wagon-help.html)

island991 28 January 2006 07:52 PM

classic turbo wagon help

just got a '00 turbo wagon and would like it to 'bark' a little more sound wise. nothing stupid sound wise something subtle yet better/louder than standard!! any recomendations? bearing in mind im not able to change anything myself!?! is there a standard subaru upgrade?.....etc

thanks

SCD Simon 28 January 2006 08:50 PM

I've got a Magnex on mine. Nice burble on tickover and it comes to life if the revs build [nothing excessive]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/SCDSimon/bp2.jpg
Once when my mota was on a RR a pal told me my zorst was not loud enough [tickover] but when the revs hit the high numbers he turned back and said it was :D

island991 28 January 2006 09:06 PM

nice. you have a prodrive upgrade all through? how is it on the wagon, might go for that myself.

jameswrx 28 January 2006 09:13 PM

I find the wagons to be quite loud inside, I suppose the open boot floor (obviously above the exhaust box) makes for a louder cabin.

I have a Magnex on my wagon and it seems very loud inside yet when I hear the mrs drive off in it it doesn't appear that loud.

island991 28 January 2006 09:19 PM

how would i best go about having something done to my zorst? buy the parts myself and ask a garage to fit them? or just find a garage that does it all or what? i have no skills in that area myself. and have never had any mods done to a car.

SCD Simon 28 January 2006 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by island991
nice. you have a prodrive upgrade all through? how is it on the wagon, might go for that myself.

PPP only [Prodrive ECU, zorst & samco hoses ;)]

island991 28 January 2006 10:54 PM

did the PPP include the Magnex zorst?

RON 28 January 2006 11:08 PM

how would i best go about having something done to my zorst? buy the parts myself and ask a garage to fit them? or just find a garage that does it all or what? i have no skills in that area myself. and have never had any mods done to a car.

I would suspect that if you're really unable to undo two nuts and bolts, (maybe three) then the best bet would be to purchase the parts, then go to an exhaust type place and get it swapped....

island991 28 January 2006 11:30 PM

is it that easy? a couple of nuts and bolts to get a better sound?

seriously?

if it is ill do it myself! ive just never done any work on a car before!!

RON 28 January 2006 11:38 PM

There are two bolts holding the backbox to the centres section, and one on the rear hanger that you need to remove to get the thing off, theree are two/three rubber hangers aswell.. but it really is that simple, i could do it in five minutes with the car on a kerb if no jack could be found!!

Thats obviously just to change the backbox, but thats the best place to start. i would personally recomend the Hayward and Scott version, if you go direct to them they will even make you a quiter one if you don't want it too loud....!!

island991 29 January 2006 12:05 PM

i just wanna hear some of that flat4 throb!! but not be annoyed when on the motorway by a constant racket!!

speedy1 29 January 2006 04:22 PM

[quote=jameswrx]I find the wagons to be quite loud inside, I suppose the open boot floor (obviously above the exhaust box) makes for a louder cabin.

As above, I had a H&S angled thingy, but just too loud:freak3: , so reverted back to standard.

scoobfan 29 January 2006 05:23 PM

I have the Ninja backbox from Scoobyworld and it sounds great.

www.scoobyworld.co.uk

So join the club and become a Ninjawagon !! ;)

Rob

island991 29 January 2006 05:59 PM

is it ok on motorway type stuff?? not too noisey?

scoobfan 29 January 2006 06:06 PM

is it ok on motorway type stuff?? not too noisey?

Yes, it seems OK to me.

Nice burble on cruise and a lovely growl on boost ! :thumb:

Rob

island991 29 January 2006 10:14 PM

have you changed just the zorst of or the whole lot? im totaly new to mods and want to just change zorst at first i think?!!

SCD Simon 29 January 2006 11:47 PM

did the PPP include the Magnex zorst?

not the official PPP ;)
Wasn't prepared to pay the stealers price so i sourced from S.Net :D