ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   new age FMIC (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/487777-new-age-fmic.html)

WRX_Rich 28 January 2006 06:20 PM

new age FMIC

ok I know this has been done loads of time's before but as the seach is still down

im looking at the blitz, hks and APS - ive been told that some stick out of the bottom which i don't want

could do with it to fit well with out to much hastle

and last ... whos going to do me the best deal :D

Thanks in advance

Rich

vulnax999 28 January 2006 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by WRX_Rich
ok I know this has been done loads of time's before but as the seach is still down

im looking at the blitz, hks and APS - ive been told that some stick out of the bottom which i don't want

could do with it to fit well with out to much hastle

and last ... whos going to do me the best deal :D

Thanks in advance

Rich

Why not be Harvey's guinea pig for the new age FMIC he has sourced?
harveysmith1@btopenworld.com IIRC

WRX_Rich 28 January 2006 07:24 PM

did think about it, but after spending the whole day replacing the manifold because I picked the cheaper option last time round has put me in the mood to buy the best that I know will last

plus its a long way with car with new injectors and turbo that hasn't been mapped yet

cheers any hows

p1mark 28 January 2006 07:29 PM

off that list i would pick APS myself - for no other reason than the fact that most people seem to have them over than the others!

Ninnybobs 28 January 2006 09:03 PM

I have the APS FMIC on my bugeye WRX.

Expensive....... but fantastic quality and results

Martin

Midlife...... 28 January 2006 11:38 PM

Rich

APS....... :D

Shaun

bpm1588 31 January 2006 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ninnybobs
I have the APS FMIC on my bugeye WRX.

Expensive....... but fantastic quality and results

Martin

hi,was thinking of aps myself.what results will i expect martin?i have just bought a full aps decat and i have the ppp but will be going for a remap(ecutec)when the intercooler is fitted.mines an 04 wrx by the way,b

WRX_Rich 02 February 2006 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by bpm1588
hi,was thinking of aps myself.what results will i expect martin?i have just bought a full aps decat and i have the ppp but will be going for a remap(ecutec)when the intercooler is fitted.mines an 04 wrx by the way,b

I wouldn't bother if you are on the standard turbo

harvey 03 February 2006 01:19 AM

A TD04 does not need a FMIC. IMHO. ...............unless you want to pose.

I am fitting a New Age FMIC for the first time at the beginning of next week with lots of photos, notes and an assessment on any additional parts not supplied in the kit. The reason for this is that I want to check the kit over BEFORE offering it for sale at reasonable, competitive prices, including a same day fitting service.
If you want more info after 08 February.......................................... .......
harveysmith1@btopenworld.com

jbagh 03 February 2006 07:30 AM

Only thing is the APS one is big... 4,5" thick - so large turbo is preferreble.. I agree with harvey, oe turbo, no need for fmic, unless for show, which also is a good reason :)

Harvey> Is it the hybrid one for the new age? - They seem to stick out from beneath the lip, doesn't look nice imho. Can't be effective when 1/3 is blocked by the lip, and possible by another frontlip, if you mount one.. ?

http://i18.ebayimg.com/02/i/05/dc/00/90_1_b.JPG

But if not, I would be interested in hearing more :)

harvey 03 February 2006 11:31 AM

I will be quite happy to share my views some time after 8 February if you want to mail me.
The quality looks good and the basic kit is complete but I will need a pipe for the BOV and possibly throttle body. There is a good bit more work than with the GC8 93-00 but it does come with a cold air kit less filter.

WRX_Rich 10 February 2006 07:42 PM

went for the APS

cheers for the help guys

does anyone know if I will need to change the dump valve? as all the pic's I see show the forge item

Granby 10 February 2006 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by harvey
I will be quite happy to share my views some time after 8 February if you want to mail me.
The quality looks good and the basic kit is complete but I will need a pipe for the BOV and possibly throttle body. There is a good bit more work than with the GC8 93-00 but it does come with a cold air kit less filter.

Any news on this Harvey :)

Midlife...... 10 February 2006 09:24 PM

Rich

The OEM dump valve will fit but some people worry about how robust it can be with higer boost.

I went for a Forge recirculating jobbie.........looks nice too !!

Shaun

Ninnybobs 10 February 2006 10:26 PM

;)

WRX_Rich 11 February 2006 07:36 PM

cheers guys

not sure now ... bling is always good but I think I will fit the OE and see where we go from there

SPEN555 11 February 2006 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Granby
Any news on this Harvey :)

Have a look here

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=491700

I will try and arrange some pics tommorrow.

Granby 11 February 2006 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by SPEN555
Have a look here

I will try and arrange some pics tommorrow.

Cheers for that, can't wait for the pics :notworthy

harvey 12 February 2006 03:50 PM

Hi Granby,

As you can see Spen555 has posted pics on another thread.
This is the first one of these kits we have fitted and here is a broad assessment.
The quality of the kit is very good as was the general fit but we did have to use a narrower battery to clear the pipe through the inner wing that then runs towards the turbo compressor down the side of the engine by the washer bottle.
We fitted a Forge dump vale VTA simply because we were unable to connect with the original recirc pipe which was now partially covered by one of the FMIC kit hard pipes. The kit included a bung for this pipe.
Not included in the kit was the cone filter and we used a suitable K+N.
As can be seen from Damien's photographs, the FMIC protrudes slightly below his bumper but that will not be an issue and will depend on what front air kit you have.
As the MAF sensor is relocated to allow for the cold air kit which with the exception of the filter is all included in the kit I would not recommend fitting without a remap.

Bearing in mind that this was the first of these kits that we have fitted I would assess that they are more difficult to fit and more time consuming than the Classic kits. As a comparison we charge £180 to fit the Classic but would want £250 to fit the New Age. It is not a job for an amateur unless he has plenty time, patience and resourcefullness.

I am putting together a complete fitting kit, partly for our own benefit and this will include Blow Off Valve, BOV silicon joiner, air filter, battery, and edging trim. It would be useful if Damien could post photographs showing the edging trim on the inner wing. This could also be used on the front bumper.

Driving impressions were very good and without any additional insulation work the car runs easily in the cruise with throttle body temperatures 2 degrees over ambient but this can be improved.

Regards,

Harvey.

SPEN555 12 February 2006 04:17 PM

Harvey,

I have put pics of the pipework into the wing showing the edging trim along with a pic showing the battery with the pipework passing the battery highlighting the closeness of fit.

Damian.

link;

harvey 13 February 2006 12:09 AM

Hi Graham : I have more pics if you want to e-mail me. You can put them on here if you wish. I am a dunce and don't know how.
Get in touch if you are interested in view of our existing association. ;)
Thanks for posting the pics Damian.

WRX_Rich 13 February 2006 09:24 PM

aps arrived

bit worried about all that extra weight, mine has come with silver pipes, never seen this on a aps but im pleased :)

The Fixer 13 February 2006 11:54 PM

Rich, Silver pipes are the latest ones, no more crackle red ones anymore :D

When you come to fit the APS you'll be surprised by how much your standard bumper beam weighs which you remove and replace with the one that came with the APS so in reality all the weight of that kit isnt added to your car as some of your existing parts are removed/replaced as well.

Conrad

stevebt 08 March 2006 07:24 AM

isnt removing the OEM bumper beam and replacing with the APS jobbie a weak point at the front of the car ????

Neilo 08 March 2006 12:52 PM

not really no....

Midlife...... 08 March 2006 11:20 PM

When I had my APS FMIC fitted I was given the option of taking all the old bumper stuff back to Carlisle in the boot.......off to the skip it went :D

Midlife.....

marklemac 08 March 2006 11:26 PM

APS :)

725DR

A real bad boy ;)

http://www.hampshiresubaru.co.uk/mem...emac/fmic1.jpg
http://www.hampshiresubaru.co.uk/mem...emac/fmic2.jpg