ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Engine wobble? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/487743-engine-wobble.html)

GrahamG 28 January 2006 04:38 PM

Engine wobble?

When i start the car from cold it wobbles lots. then after a few mins it goes back to normal. The car drives fine and no problems in pull.

Anyone got any ideas what this could be? it only ever does it when cold and run's fine when hot.

Friend said it might be a coil pack or a plug?

Any advice would be great

Cheers
G

scoobfan 28 January 2006 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by GrahamG
When i start the car from cold it wobbles lots. then after a few mins it goes back to normal. The car drives fine and no problems in pull.

Anyone got any ideas what this could be? it only ever does it when cold and run's fine when hot.

Friend said it might be a coil pack or a plug?

Any advice would be great

Cheers
G

Graham, I would'nt of thought it was a coil pack or sparky as these
usually break down under load or when the engine is hot.

I'm thinking more along the lines of over fueling perhaps whilst on
choke ?:Suspiciou

Rob

struv 28 January 2006 06:27 PM

i wobble a lot when i start in the morning

GrahamG 28 January 2006 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by struv
i wobble a lot when i start in the morning

lol... what abou the car?? ;)

GrahamG 28 January 2006 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by scoobfan
Graham, I would'nt of thought it was a coil pack or sparky as these
usually break down under load or when the engine is hot.

I'm thinking more along the lines of over fueling perhaps whilst on
choke ?:Suspiciou

Rob

cheers rob, i will have a look, its not worrying me too much. just want to make sure it's not leading to anything.

it goes after a few mins..

Cheers
G

struv 28 January 2006 06:57 PM

could be a prob with the cold start thingie

GrahamG 28 January 2006 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by struv
could be a prob with the cold start thingie

i'm not too sure what that is...?

struv 28 January 2006 07:25 PM

me neither but if it wobbles for a short time when cold (like a carbed car would if you didnt put the choke on) then perhaps what ever enrichens the fuel supply when its cold on a scoobie isnt kicking in as quick as it should cold start sensor or some such thing sounds logical dont you think perhaps a trip to your local stealer for a diagnostic check just a thought:thumb:

GrahamG 29 January 2006 10:53 AM

going to check it for fault codes. see if that finds anything.

Anyone else got any ideas?

ELYA49 29 January 2006 11:01 AM

Picking up MY06 WRX tomorrow but when I test drove one, it did the same thing. Very 'lumpy' for the first 5-6 mile then ok. Hope I don't have the same bother !

GrahamG 29 January 2006 11:08 AM

mine last for about 2 mins. i have not driven while it does it so don't know. maybe when i use it next i will try it.

ALi-B 29 January 2006 02:16 PM

Scoobs run very very rich when cold, it will shake and run lumpy for the first 10-15seconds of running. There is a difference from a fuel enrichment related missfire and an ignition related one, one will be much more severe and will generally present for most of the time under certain load conditions, hot or cold (but worse when cold - obviously).

If you have a car without any cats fitting and give the throttle a good poke in this first 5second of running...you'll be greeted with a plume of whitish blue smoke and stench of petrol out of th exhaust- from the unburnt fuel, and think your engine/turbo is f**ked, when it isn't :):D

Has anyone on this board owned a carb car with a manual choke? Efi cars need same fuel enrichment - just it's automated :brickwall:

GrahamG 29 January 2006 02:53 PM

Cheers ALI-B :D

scoobfan 29 January 2006 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Scoobs run very very rich when cold, it will shake and run lumpy for the first 10-15seconds of running. There is a difference from a fuel enrichment related missfire and an ignition related one, one will be much more severe and will generally present for most of the time under certain load conditions, hot or cold (but worse when cold - obviously).

If you have a car without any cats fitting and give the throttle a good poke in this first 5second of running...you'll be greeted with a plume of whitish blue smoke and stench of petrol out of th exhaust- from the unburnt fuel, and think your engine/turbo is f**ked, when it isn't :):D

Has anyone on this board owned a carb car with a manual choke? Efi cars need same fuel enrichment - just it's automated :brickwall:

I think I said that !:rolleyes:

Rob

GrahamG 29 January 2006 08:11 PM

Rob

lol :D

ALi-B 29 January 2006 08:41 PM

Rob

Ooo, well go you :thumb: