ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   air filter choice (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/487311-air-filter-choice.html)

stevebt 26 January 2006 10:53 PM

air filter choice

i have two aftermarket airfilters and im unsure which one to use for my next remap ??? its for a 400bhp plus car!!! i have a rodger clark big maf filter which sits in the engine bay !!! or i have a perrin cold air kit similar to the APS and sits in the inner wing !!! i know bigger power cars run filters in the engine bay but since im not chasing those high bhp figures which would be best for better torque curve :D

harvey 26 January 2006 11:16 PM

Hi Steve,

When I was developing the STi 6 Wagon I got 417 bhp at G-Force with the APS CAK. This was enough to win a Southern Rolling Road competition 2 years ago. Chris suggested to me that the APS/K+N filter was a restriction.
I replaced the CAK with a larger parallell cylinder from K+N which had a far higher rating than the small APS/K+N in the inner wing. I went in to it in some detail with the K+N technical bods. I put in a carbon fibre cold air divider with insulation matting on the engine side and also led some ducts in to the inner wing and did some other work that I am happy to show you. I returned to G-Force, without any mapping 6 days later and produced 434 bhp. No other changes. I then went on to Bob Rawle's and the car was mapped for a new filter and I returned to G-Force 4 days after that to get 450 bhp so I achieved a 33 bhp + increase for a £40 odd pound filter, a home made cold air compartment and a remap from Bob Rawle.
Although many people don't believe me the K+N filter on the APS CAK is already a restriction at 400 bhp.
I am happy to show you the setup if you wish, I can get you the K+N cost and make the induction tract and I can also build you a cold air divider when your car is at Paul's.

Regards,

Harvey.

stevebt 26 January 2006 11:52 PM

Although many people don't believe me the K+N filter on the APS CAK is already a restriction at 400 bhp
thats why my cold air kit is a perrin one and has nothing to do with the K&N filter system !!

i popped the bonnet on your car today at pauls and your filter is at least twice the size of my rodger clark big maf filter !!! and yours is nearly in the wing :D im only interested in torque and im sure i will replace this turbo with a garret !! and thats when my cold air becomes ????

harvey 26 January 2006 11:54 PM

You got a funny attitude mate.
Don't pop my bonnet again unless you want me to pop you.

stevebt 26 January 2006 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by harvey
You got a funny attitude mate.

hmm!!!! paul asked me to look at how nice your engine bay looked !!!!! and i hope that was some wierd nice comment !!!!

stevebt 27 January 2006 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by stevebt
hmm!!!! paul asked me to look at how nice your engine bay looked !!!!! and i hope that was some wierd nice comment !!!!

hmmm apparently by your lack of response they must of been threatning words :eek: you can scare me next time i see you :rolleyes:

stevebt 27 January 2006 01:27 AM

who rated this 5 star ????

GrahamG 27 January 2006 08:53 AM

:(

GrahamG 27 January 2006 08:55 AM

:D

harvey 27 January 2006 11:33 AM

"harvey

the post on the airfilter !!

have you still got some attitude here as i was being nothing but nice !!! and meant nothing by what i posted !!!

i only stated your filter was huge!!!

if you have some problem with me im easy to find

07885787224 ??????

steven"

No need for PMs Steve.

"No response."

Sometimes I go to bed and coming on here is not a high priority sometimes.

I was making a genuine effort to help you as you seem to have had a lot of difficulties lately. Giving you the info may have assisted you in PLANNING AHEAD, something that may avoid further difficulties and the problems you have experienced. I realise, historically, that you do not like to take proven advice and I should not have bothered but I was trying to help you.

My car will be at Paul's until later today. Pop my bonnet and suffer the consequences. If you don't like it what I post see me round there or anywhere else for that matter.

harvey 27 January 2006 12:55 PM

Last bit of technical help you will get from me and that includes your cylinder heads which I am sure you did not know about.

"im only interested in torque "

BHP = Torque X Revs/5252

Work it out for yourself, if you can.

BTW. The "New" STi filter, turbo, inlet and exhaust system bears no relationship to the set up I was referring to on the car when it was only 585 bhp. You obviously have not twigged that.

alanbell 27 January 2006 03:10 PM

Popin Harveys Bonnet

;) I dropped a Exhaust of at Sadlers Garage today , Had a look under the lid Looks better than ever a credit to you harvey :thumb:

P20SPD 27 January 2006 05:35 PM

:rolleyes:

StickyMicky 27 January 2006 06:37 PM

harvey you sound like a right dick in this thread IMO

StickyMicky 27 January 2006 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by alanbell
;) I dropped a Exhaust of at Sadlers Garage today , Had a look under the lid Looks better than ever a credit to you harvey :thumb:

have you been "popped" yet alan?

alanbell 27 January 2006 06:40 PM

Steve Im haveing the RCM 80mm kit fitted to mine with the K&N RCM recomend , P20SPD who does all the work on my sti says its good for the power I want (for now) so that will do me , Alan.

alanbell 27 January 2006 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
have you been "popped" yet alan?

LoL >> errmm no Harvey was there , He showed me the way to Paul Stablers garage, were his sti was :;)

Tone Loc 27 January 2006 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by harvey

LOL... priceless.

P20SPD 27 January 2006 07:08 PM

Micky, just this thread?? ;)

stevebt 27 January 2006 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by alanbell
Steve Im haveing the RCM 80mm kit fitted to mine with the K&N RCM recomend , P20SPD who does all the work on my sti says its good for the power I want (for now) so that will do me , Alan.

steven has just told me :D sounds like it will be my better overal choice in the long run. which i thought it was gonna be anyway.

n one 27 January 2006 08:44 PM

Will changing my filter help me with any `popping`? ;) :)

morpheous 27 January 2006 08:55 PM

Once you pop you carnt stop pmsl top man :freak3:

GrahamG 27 January 2006 10:10 PM

http://www.loonietimes.com/gallery/Pringles.jpg
;)

martyrobertsdj 28 January 2006 03:21 AM

You bell ends!!! LOL

I'm going to pop round to a few garages and pop the bonnets of a few well known cars.
Wanna come round my house and pop mine????

I think there's been some sort of misunderstanding here......or maybe there's a bit of fun going on that I don't know about???

Who wants to see under the bonnet of my 270bhp BEAST!!!!?????? I'll eat yaz for breakfast!!!

StickyMicky 28 January 2006 10:46 AM

pop round mine for a cuppa marty :lol: