ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Dan Brown (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/484410-dan-brown.html)

16vmarc 16 January 2006 06:07 PM

Dan Brown

Anyone into Dan Brown? I read The De Vinchi Code whilst in hospital in under 30hours, i couldnt put it down! I immediatley read Angels & Demons after and hes certainly no one hit wonder! Both were read with ease and kept me interested throughout. I started reading Digital Fortress the other night and its every bit as good as the other two so far, ill no doubt start Deception Point by the end of the week!

unclebuck 16 January 2006 06:11 PM

Good yarn that touches on some interesting stuff, but IMO spoiled by one dimensional characters and corny 'cheap crime novel' writing style.

Put me off reading any more of his books.

ChefDude 16 January 2006 06:15 PM

i thought the books were all a good read.

no booker prizes in there and all the stories are a bit linear, but still a good read :)

G-STAR 16 January 2006 06:25 PM

I did exactly the same as you, started with the Da Vinci code and went on to read the other three - all good reads, I felt.

hedgehog 16 January 2006 06:27 PM

They are hardly great books but ideal for a read in the airport or if laid up in bed or similar, not to difficult and they move along at a goodly pace which is just what you want under those circumstances and to be honest "simple" is usually better. I read Digital Fortress recently myself when I was laid up with a bug.

For something a bit better written and slightly more deep the Michael Connelly books (Harry Bosch - detective stories set in modern day LA) are worth a read. Again easy enough to read to be ok in the airport etc. but a step up from the Dan Brown stuff in my view. On a positive note you can also get them with 3 of the books in the one volume for less than £10 from amazon.

PG 16 January 2006 06:28 PM

His mind control stuff is great !

drumsterphil 16 January 2006 06:43 PM

Currently reading Digital Fortress. Concur on how easy they are to read (makes a change from the long-windidness of Clancy for example) and the story is reasonably entertaining.

Have Deception Point to follow after I've finished DF.

G-STAR 16 January 2006 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by PG
His mind control stuff is great !

Taxi...:lol1:

mart360 16 January 2006 07:03 PM

mathew reiley is another,

he,s just brought out a new one 7 wonders the sleeve spurge sounds promising.

A word of advice on the dvc there are a load of cobbled crap type must reads doing the rounds at the mo, i bought one, its so bloody booring i,m still trying to finish it (i started it 6 months ago)

Mart

PG 16 January 2006 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by mart360
mathew reiley is another,

He was great in 'Stars in Their Eyes'

:D sorry..

Frosty The Snowman 16 January 2006 07:11 PM

Very easy read, The Da Vinci Code didn't last me all the way to Oz. I've read all of them and enjoyed them, as I said, they are not taxing to read and they won't win any awards. I do like the way the lead character never has a chance to rest, non-stop the entire way through to you hooked.

16vmarc 16 January 2006 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by PG
He was great in 'Stars in Their Eyes'

:D sorry..

Mathew Kelly :rolleyes:

:p

PG 16 January 2006 07:21 PM

really !?
:brickwall