ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Guy at our place has gone 7 years without a day off/never late. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/484188-guy-at-our-place-has-gone-7-years-without-a-day-off-never-late.html)

paulr 15 January 2006 08:47 PM

Guy at our place has gone 7 years without a day off/never late.

Can anyone beat that.
We are thinking of writing to head office to see if its a company record.

Puff The Magic Wagon! 15 January 2006 08:58 PM

Interesting seeing as how employers cannot pay in lieu of holidays?

richiewong 15 January 2006 09:01 PM

Never had a day off sick in 8 years, only 5 days off sick in 3 years of Uni and a work colleague has probably done at least 25 years without a day off sick.

We're keeping the NHS alive compared to some of the work shy fops I work with:rolleyes:

pslewis 15 January 2006 09:02 PM

A member of my staff was never off for 22 years!!

Not a half day, not a full day ........... then he broke his arm - doctor told him to take a few weeks off - he was back after 3 days!! :eek: begging to come back!!

7 years is nothing .......................

Pete

dpb 15 January 2006 09:09 PM

smacks of insecurity as much as loyalty/whatever

corradoboy 15 January 2006 09:15 PM

7 years without a day off/never late...
...and when it suits them, they'll sack him or lay him off at the drop of a hat along with everyone else :rolleyes: Done the loyal worker bit and been at the harsh end of the little respect it can earn, which is why I'm training to become self-employed.

Well done to the guy and I would hope to employ people just like him if/when my business becomes a success, but loyal employers are a rarer breed.

pslewis 15 January 2006 09:22 PM

Indeed ..................... no-one has ever laid on their death bed wishing they had done that extra day at work, that extra job, that extra hour, gone that extra mile ..........

What they do wish they did was that extra hour with the family, the extra day on the beach, the long weekend in the country with the children playing in a crystal stream ....... the extra minutes spent laughing with friends ........

Never, ever, work in the hope that it will make you happier - it never will!!

Pete

2000TLondon 15 January 2006 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by corradoboy
...and when it suits them, they'll sack him or lay him off at the drop of a hat along with everyone else :rolleyes: Done the loyal worker bit and been at the harsh end of the little respect it can earn, which is why I'm training to become self-employed.

Well done to the guy and I would hope to employ people just like him if/when my business becomes a success, but loyal employers are a rarer breed.

Agree, synical but absolutely spot on! Used to work for one of the biggest communications companies in the world who treated everyone like sh!t. I got bored of it and slacked right off for my last few months, got same bonuses as people who slogged it. Hopefully the guy in question is appreciated and motivated with career progression........

Nicks VR4 15 January 2006 09:29 PM

Loyal employers are a rare breed but you can still get shat on

I worked for a large firm worked all sorts of hours inc weekends taking phone calls past midnight and getting on line to send activation keys to engineers at customers site installing software

I was once owed nearly 3 months hols and was told if you dont take them you will loose them , So I spoke to my director and said I have nearly 3 months Hols to take so I'm taking it all at once

Got told you cant do that , FINE PAY ME THEN for some I did and got stuffed by the tax people and about 3 years ago got called in to HR sorry you are out of a job

Work to live - not live to work

Greatnorth 15 January 2006 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Nicks VR4
Work to live - not live to work

here here

ben44 15 January 2006 09:40 PM

Loyal employers are a rare breed but you can still get shat on

As an employer, finding loyal employee's can also be difficult ;) Now a days evenone wants film star wages, for tube drivers hours! lol

Seriously though, there's no point going to the grave with your overtime money in your pocket.

^OPM^ 15 January 2006 09:43 PM

remember a being told about a conversation at our place a few years ago between a work shy person and a company man...which went like this....

company man-"I've only had 3 days off sick in 20 years, what do u reckon to that?"

workshy person-"I think ur a fooking idiot!"

at end of day the company man retired-and the workshy person used the company for about 14 years taking off months at a time sick-then when he had enough he volunteered for redundancy and left....
a end of day at many companies-you are no better thought of wether u work hard or skive loads....:freak3:

Nev 15 January 2006 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis
Indeed ..................... no-one has ever laid on their death bed wishing they had done that extra day at work, that extra job, that extra hour, gone that extra mile ..........

What they do wish they did was that extra hour with the family, the extra day on the beach, the long weekend in the country with the children playing in a crystal stream ....... the extra minutes spent laughing with friends ........

Pete

Mr Lewis,

whilst my post count may not back it up, I've been on here for quite a while -without a doubt the most accurate and concise post I've seen. Just wish I'd followed the advice sooner.

Nev

Spoon 15 January 2006 09:50 PM

Welcome Nev Lewis :thumb:

alcazar 15 January 2006 09:54 PM

In my younger days I was once involved in an accident that ended with me having concussion and 26 stitches in a head wound :eek:

I went back to work two days after, thinking I had a fairly easy morning.......................and ended up doingn the work of a lass who was off with a sore throat!:rolleyes:

After that, when I had a sore throat, or even felt one coming on, I was off, no probs!:mad:

Working through illness is NOT appreciaited, nor is taking your uillness to work to give others.

Alcazar

lpski1 15 January 2006 09:56 PM

ive never been sick, then again im not from Earth :D

Phil 15 January 2006 09:57 PM

was told by a fraud officer that those that never take a day off are usually hiding something ;)

Simon C 15 January 2006 09:59 PM

A very true post pslewis.

Work is means to an end nothing more, nothing less. I'm raping the overtime at the moment cos I want to buy a house this year. Thats the only reason I'm doing the amount of hours.

Work to live, not live to work. Life is for living, not slaving your soul out for someone else.

Nicks VR4 15 January 2006 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar

Working through illness is NOT appreciated, nor is taking your illness to work to give others.

Alcazar

Exactly we had a whole dept off with a major stomach bug, due to the Manager thought he was invaluable and spread it about, the ar$ehole

Brendan Hughes 15 January 2006 10:25 PM

Couldn't he just spread it by breathing, like normal people?

pslewis 15 January 2006 10:27 PM

When I was younger I worked on Saturdays and Sundays to buy a house and get established .............. for about 3 years.

That was probably worth doing then ............ now I am older, much older, I have learnt the price of my days - and my employers cannot afford to buy them off me!!

I have worked my socks off some years and I have had easier years - you could not tell which was which by looking at my wage slip!!

Pete

dpb 15 January 2006 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by lpski1
ive never been sick, then again im not from Earth :D

France....:Suspiciou

Nicks VR4 15 January 2006 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Couldn't he just spread it by breathing, like normal people?

lol edited :D

Thomas Wainwright 15 January 2006 10:36 PM

Exactly we had a whole dept off with a major stomach bug, due to the Manager thought he was invaluable and spread it about, the ar$ehole

Yes, stomach bugs can be spread via the ar$ehole. ;)

PG 15 January 2006 10:46 PM

Pete

I am in total agreement there.
One of the best thing I have ever seen you say Pete (if not the only good thing ;):p)

kammy 15 January 2006 10:53 PM

Agree with Pete.

However, if you work your arse of when you can, and while your young- you dont have to work your arse when your older and you carnt so you end up broke.

Kam

Adidas 15 January 2006 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by phil_stephens
was told by a fraud officer that those that never take a day off are usually hiding something ;)

Was you bunking off work up, in Birmingham when he told you that?? :Suspiciou :D

Phil 15 January 2006 11:06 PM

LOL

No chance of me not having time off

bigsinky 15 January 2006 11:43 PM

When I was younger I worked on Saturdays and Sundays to buy a house and get established .............. for about 3 years.

That was probably worth doing then ............ now I am older, much older, I have learnt the price of my days - and my employers cannot afford to buy them off me!!

I have worked my socks off some years and I have had easier years - you could not tell which was which by looking at my wage slip!!

Pete

pah, thats nothing, when i was saving for a house, before i got married i had 4 jobs. my 9-5 mon-friday, worked sat and sunday at a computer retailer, helped on a milk round 3 mornings a week, and delivered chinese food on friday and saturday nights. i was working about 80 hours a week. i was also doing a part-time computer science degree 2 nights a week at university.

still waiting on my sherriffs badge :D

p1mark 16 January 2006 07:57 AM

Im very sad, but im over 10 years now without being late or sick. The last time i was hospitalised in belgium so could not make it.:Whatever_

More than make up for it with the time i spend on car internet forums at work though (like now) :D