ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   More Pensioner bullying. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/483679-more-pensioner-bullying.html)

unclebuck 13 January 2006 06:35 PM

More Pensioner bullying.

Police again this time.

Leading 79 year old woman in handcuffs from her own house for non-payment of Council Tax ffs. :mad: All for her 'own safety' of course. :brickwall

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...ia/4608450.stm

Anyone out there still maintain we don't now live in a Police State (apart from Blair of course)

LUCKO 13 January 2006 06:41 PM

'they added that they made sure she had her medication'

bravo <claps> wanker$ :nono:

The Zohan 13 January 2006 08:11 PM

What a sad state this country is in when we have to resort to this treatment of our pensioners.

paul-s 13 January 2006 11:31 PM

yes i agree, somewhat ott here.

on the other side tho, i despise these ppl (some of them pensioners) who refuse to pay it because "its wrong" or whatever :cuckoo: yea just let em get away with it while everyone else has to pay.

Oh right, ill just drive straight out the garage because i think optimax is too expensive :rolleyes:

G-STAR 13 January 2006 11:34 PM

True, but there's hardly a need to handcuff a 79 year old who suffers from angina, is there?

It's not rocket science, purely common sense. The "safest way to deal with her" - come on, what's she going to do?

unclebuck 13 January 2006 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by G-STAR
The "safest way to deal with her" - come on, what's she going to do?

She could be a 'muslim fundemental terrorism' ;) In New Britain we can't afford to take any chances... :cuckoo:

paul-s 13 January 2006 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by G-STAR
True, but there's hardly a need to handcuff a 79 year old who suffers from angina, is there?

It's not rocket science, purely common sense. The "safest way to deal with her" - come on, what's she going to do?

Oh yea i know, totally no need to cuff her at all. As said, it is over the top.

hutton_d 14 January 2006 09:37 AM

So when will Fatt2 2 Jags be handcuffed and led from Admiralty House for non-payment >..????????

Bar stewards!!

Dave

_RIP_ 14 January 2006 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by paul-s
yes i agree, somewhat ott here.

on the other side tho, i despise these ppl (some of them pensioners) who refuse to pay it because "its wrong" or whatever :cuckoo: yea just let em get away with it while everyone else has to pay.

Oh right, ill just drive straight out the garage because i think optimax is too expensive :rolleyes:

I think it should be means tested. She might not have had enough money to pay considering the shamefully small amount pensioners have to live on. Perhaps you should be more concerned over how many pensioners are going to die this winter because they cannot afford to heat their homes.

mart360 14 January 2006 11:01 AM

watch for the usual H&S excuses for cuffing her, and the "its policy etc"

wont be long before its batter down the door, tazer the suspect, armlock, hand and ankle cuff, hood over the head, and into the back of an umarked van to dissapear into the night!!

nice one billy!!, glad to see your turning this country into what you so proudly proclaim to be dead against

Mart :(

Leslie 14 January 2006 11:02 AM

Words fail me!

Paul-s,

If you were a pensioner trying to live on £82 a week, you might feel like objecting when the council tax goes up by double the inflation rate.

Les:(

rr_ww 14 January 2006 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by _RIP_
I think it should be means tested. She might not have had enough money to pay considering the shamefully small amount pensioners have to live on. Perhaps you should be more concerned over how many pensioners are going to die this winter because they cannot afford to heat their homes.

Maybe if these pensioners had done a decent pension in their life, they wouldn't be in that position. Not all I grant you but my grandparents have enough money to pay for the rent/food/heating etc etc. They worked hard. And they deserve to reap the rewards. I guess when the current "Pensions crisis" hits in 40 years time, all the people with nothing to show for it, will complain the government aren't helping them out despite them "paying taxes all the're lives" :rolleyes:

_RIP_ 14 January 2006 02:22 PM

Yes, and this government has really helped avert a future pension crisis.

rr_ww 14 January 2006 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by _RIP_
Yes, and this government has really helped avert a future pension crisis.

You miss my point :p

Even back in the 60s there were no guarentee of a decent state pension. So everyone was encouraged to take out theri own plan. If you were on a low income, then fair enough. But I don't believe the entire country was, so theres obviously pensioners now, that couldn't be bothered to make provisions for their retirement. And are now complaining the state doesnt meet the current living costs.

Invariably the ones you see on the TV complaining about rent/heating bills didn't make any investment in their youth. They're no differnet to the people today that CHOOSE to be unemployed and let the state fund their life. :rolleyes:

_RIP_ 14 January 2006 02:53 PM

No I dont. I just dont think everyone on the planet is either like me or is some workshy lazy pension dodging scrote :D

This government is discouraging people from saving for old age. Pension credit will make a mockery of having a small private pension. Live for today and the state will reward you. Scrimp on a small wage while saving for the future and you wont be that much better off anyway. Not everyone can afford to put huge pots of cash into a pension fund. I guess you think the minimum wage is just there for a laugh.

The Rani 14 January 2006 02:59 PM

I had a nice little sum put by for when I retired - just to have a judge award the whole bleddy lot to my ex as a divorce settlement - and my dear ex wanted me to cash in my work pension as well ..... luckily that was not allowed.

But a lot of pensioners don't know about or don't want to claim the benefits they are allowed. I was talking to someone yesterday who did not know she could get a discount on her council tax because she lived on her own and she had been struggling to pay since her husband died a couple of years ago. She's gonna get her daughter to phone the council on Monday morning!

Leslie 14 January 2006 05:24 PM

Don't you think the Government should make sure that pensioners know their rights?

Les

The Zohan 14 January 2006 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie
Don't you think the Government should make sure that pensioners know their rights?

Les

My mother now lives in sheltered accommodation, this was a good move as the wardens there are experts in these matters having had to deal with them and they go out of thier ways to make sure the residents get what they are entitled to.
Anyway my mother is in her her eighties and any paperwork is sorted by me or the wardens which is great for her.. When she was widowed some 7 years ago i contacted variouas agencies to find out what she was entitlted to. They then send very complicated and detailed forms, some 8 or 9+ pages to fill out. I went through them with a fine tooth comb to makes sure i was correct and accurate but i found them heavy going and had to call the helplines several times for advice often the people who i spoke to did not know the answer to my questions!

How was a recently widowed mid seventy year old woman who has not had to deal with paperwork or finances as her husband did all of this supposed to tackle this and find out what she is entitled to or not?

_RIP_ 14 January 2006 07:42 PM

Simple. She's old and never put enough into her pension fund.

Petem95 14 January 2006 07:52 PM

A disgrace.

But isnt that surprising considering the state the country is in now after 8 years old Labour mismanagement.

davedipster 14 January 2006 07:53 PM

Children should be assisted by the state.
Old people should be assisted by the state.
Anyone in-between should pay for this.

Give these old people a break.

Dipster

_RIP_ 14 January 2006 08:11 PM

paul-s was obviously cultivated under a nl cabbage patch and doesn’t have any elderly relatives. Or friends :D

damian666 15 January 2006 01:01 AM

All detained persons are handcuffed for officer safety, especially if they are going in a car without a protective barrier for the driver.

Common sense really... isnt it?

Damian (City of London police)

G-STAR 15 January 2006 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by damian666

:confused:

damian666 15 January 2006 01:29 AM

If you have detained someone, generally they aren't too pleased about it. It only takes one second for them to push the driver or do anything else that will allow them to escape.

Is it not common sense that people who have been arrested are handcuffed?

sociopath 15 January 2006 01:39 AM

If you have detained someone, generally they aren't too pleased about it. It only takes one second for them to push the driver or do anything else that will allow them to escape.

Yes, I doubt an old woman would be too happy if you have just kidnapped her.... much better to handcuff her in case she gives you a 'push'. :freak3:

G-STAR 15 January 2006 01:46 AM

In my opinion, not when the person in question is a 79 year old woman who had failed to pay her council tax. :Whatever_

sociopath 15 January 2006 01:51 AM

Best pepper spray her in the face too, it only takes one second for them to do 'anything else' and escape :rolleyes:

It only takes one second for a passer-by to put the boot into a bully who is man handling an old woman too.

Billbill 15 January 2006 04:24 AM

[QUOTE=sociopath]Best pepper spray her in the face too, it only takes one second for them to do 'anything else' and escape :rolleyes:
QUOTE]
Also leg shackles would be in order.
Especially for someone 79 years old.
Speedy sorts to run, they are!
What a crap arrest, IMHO ! :rolleyes:

alcazar 15 January 2006 08:12 AM

All detained persons are handcuffed for officer safety, especially if they are going in a car without a protective barrier for the driver.

Damian (City of London police)

A 79 year old woman with angina? And THAT'S an example of police "common sense" is it?

You lot are even thicker than I thought:(

Police: state bully boys, enforcers and tax gatherers:mad:

Alcazar