ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   WRX300 with optional PPP!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/483506-wrx300-with-optional-ppp.html)

Marky9074 13 January 2006 01:15 AM

WRX300 with optional PPP!!!!!!!!!!

Hi guys,

I am having a healthy debate with a guy in a thread that has now been moved to the gallery...

Anyway....

He quotes 'PPP was optional on a WRX300!!!!!!!!!!!'

I accept that it didnt roll out of the factory with PPP. I also accept that PPP was not always fitted from new as the vehicle had to be registered to swap out the ECU and sometimes this was done at first service.

However, I do not accept that the WRX300 had PPP as an option!

The brochure quotes power and torque figures with PPP (does not mention optional). The Subaru web site used to echo this, though at the moment this page seems to be conveniently unavailable..

I have a letter from Subaru UK stating that my WRX300 comes with PPP as standard. There is also an old thread that covers this topic completely!

So please all WRX300 owners, stand up and be counted and tell me if you bought a WRX300 with 'optional PPP'......

http://www.subaru-impreza.org/impreza-brochures.shtml

Marky

NorthDownsScooby 13 January 2006 07:49 AM

In no way was my PPP optional, and my car was definitely PPP'd before it was first registered. Personally I think it's also a bit dodgy that PPP has not been fitted (apparently) until the first service.

Having a WRX300 without PPP would just be like having a standard WRX with Blue seats, and I can't see Subaru being happy about that.

God knows how you'd insure it too - it's been difficult enough for some people insuring it anyway, without trying to explain that its a "standard WRX300" with bits TAKEN OUT ;)

Anyway, nice to hear from another "300" :notworthy

Rich

ODB 13 January 2006 09:14 AM

I have a WRX 300 (though its in the garage at the moment:Whatever_ ) and the PPP was not optional nor was I charged extra for it. It came standard from when I collected the car. I even confirmed it with my Insurer (Admiral) we getting insurance and they were fine with PPP being a standard fit on the car. So as far as I can see its a standard item not an optional extra.

Marky9074 13 January 2006 10:19 AM

Thanks guys, keep them coming! Only another 297 to go?

flynnstudio 13 January 2006 11:08 AM

I'd be interested to know if your cars were pre-registered. If so, according to my dealer, they could then fit the ppp themselves. The main point being they can only fit them to a registered car.

However, when I bought mine ( which was not pre-registered) the ppp was not fitted but it was included ( ie standard kit and part ofthe standard specification) and that I could either.

a) have it fitted before I got the car
or
b) get it fitted at 1000mile service.

I chose no.2 since I figured there is probably going to be some 'reving' going on and I'd rather it was done after the 1K service and the run-in-period than before...

plus it means when I collect I'm ready to rock!

As you rightly say it's a standard part of the WRX300 specification NOT an extra but if it's not on you could certainly elect not to have it fitted but then you lose out on the incredibly low down torgue and bhp and all that fun! so why bother - might as well buy a blue MY05 WRXwith gold wheels for £18K...

It doesn't make any sense that prodrive would fit them - shipping the cars to them, getting them fitted in a reasonable time frame, all that upfront cost...they may have done a couple of specials but I would guess that one way or antoher the dealers have been fitting them all...after all it's part and parcel of what they do and have been doing for many years..

For what its worth it's interesting that the subaru website does not include the performance figures with the PPP fitted and states 5.9s 0-62 but the WRX300 brochure does and states a delicious 0-62 of 4.8s...

New_scooby_04 13 January 2006 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Marky9074
Hi guys,

I am having a healthy debate with a guy in a thread that has now been moved to the gallery...

Anyway....

I accept that it didnt roll out of the factory with PPP. I also accept that PPP was not always fitted from new as the vehicle had to be registered to swap out the ECU and sometimes this was done at first service.

The brochure quotes power and torque figures with PPP (does not mention optional). The Subaru web site used to echo this, though at the moment this page seems to be conveniently unavailable..

I have a letter from Subaru UK stating that my WRX300 comes with PPP as standard. There is also an old thread that covers this topic completely!

So please all WRX300 owners, stand up and be counted and tell me if you bought a WRX300 with 'optional PPP'......

Marky

I think he means the earlier UK300 mate that was available on the bugeye....I got them mixed up too! :) It WAS an option on that car, but NOT the recent WRX300.

Best,

NS04

Dick Cheese 13 January 2006 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I think he means the earlier UK300 mate that was available on the bugeye....I got them mixed up too! :) It WAS an option on that car, but NOT the recent WRX300.

Best,

NS04

So there's no reason for this guy to get his knickers in a twist...
and 23 exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ODB 13 January 2006 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by flynnstudio
I'd be interested to know if your cars were pre-registered. If so, according to my dealer, they could then fit the ppp themselves. The main point being they can only fit them to a registered car.

Nope mine was unregistered and all the documents point to this. I talked to my dealer who says that the cars are shipped to the dealers without PPP for the dealers to fit the PPP before delivery and registration to the customer. Apparently its not economically viable to have cars sent to Prodrive to be fitted when the dealers can do it themselves as agents of Prodrive.

flynnstudio 13 January 2006 11:32 AM

my dealer had to order mine last week before I could come in for my 1K!!.

RJL_WRX05 13 January 2006 12:14 PM

Hi guys,

Anyway....

Marky

Marky, it's ok we all believe your car has ppp and that it is also very fast and good. All I said (and I now realise this was stupid!) was that on the subaru website it said that the power figures quoted were for vehicles fitted with ppp. How can it be standard if some people dont get it fitted until the first service? It maybe comes with the car as a package and is therefore included in the standard spec (although this is qualified by an axterix next to the figures on the subaru website) but you dont actually have to have it do you. Anyway calm down mate I agree you are right in what you say and I am being a little pedantic! It doesn't really matter does it cos I doubt anyone will have a 300 without ppp!

"The Subaru web site used to echo this, though at the moment this page seems to be conveniently unavailable"

I like this statement Marky, but I honestly haven't hacked into the subaru site and changed the site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

flynnstudio 13 January 2006 12:29 PM

your right - the page has gone - must have sold em all. Just keep your paper brochure - it'll be a nice thing to hand on...

magicdudey 13 January 2006 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by ODB
Nope mine was unregistered and all the documents point to this. I talked to my dealer who says that the cars are shipped to the dealers without PPP for the dealers to fit the PPP before delivery and registration to the customer. Apparently its not economically viable to have cars sent to Prodrive to be fitted when the dealers can do it themselves as agents of Prodrive.

I have a WRX 300 WITH PPP and tha above quate says it all.
Here here for my learned firend of plenty..

GrollySTI 13 January 2006 12:51 PM

Personally, I think the whole PPP at 1k or before thing is lead by the dealers reluctance to work on the car.

They get so little money for fitting the PPP,they prefer to do it when the cars already in and up on the ramps for it's first service/oil change thing.

IMHO of course:thumb:

Marky9074 13 January 2006 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by RJL_WRX05
Marky, it's ok we all believe your car has ppp and that it is also very fast and good. All I said (and I now realise this was stupid!) was that on the subaru website it said that the power figures quoted were for vehicles fitted with ppp. How can it be standard if some people dont get it fitted until the first service? It maybe comes with the car as a package and is therefore included in the standard spec (although this is qualified by an axterix next to the figures on the subaru website) but you dont actually have to have it do you. Anyway calm down mate I agree you are right in what you say and I am being a little pedantic! It doesn't really matter does it cos I doubt anyone will have a 300 without ppp!

"The Subaru web site used to echo this, though at the moment this page seems to be conveniently unavailable"

I like this statement Marky, but I honestly haven't hacked into the subaru site and changed the site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Sorry mate! I didnt mean to vent my anger with this thread! Its just incredibly annoying when someone makes a comment on this forum and your like 'no, actually I do have this car, what the hell is he talking about!'...

Probably what wound me up is the fact that there have been so many WRX300 issues, that I get snappy very easily!

First there was the 'do you declare PPP on your WRX300 when you insure', and then there was the 'its not a real model because its not on the log book'....

I have never heard of anyone not having PPP, so it would be an interesting result to see, and to be honest I have never seen anywhere saying its optional.

I have though had the 'option' to not have PPP fitted to a WRX SL when they were giving PPP away for free.

Seriously though, if you have any documentation that suggests that PPP 'is' optional can you please prove it, as this could re-open the whole insurance issue...

Cheers,

Mark

Marky9074 13 January 2006 01:55 PM

I am still under the impression that the car has to be registered to do the ECU swap. I certainly had to wait a couple of days with the turn around of ECU's after I had paid my money and chosen my reg.....

Marky9074 13 January 2006 01:57 PM

Hang on a minute, doesnt the PPP certificate have the registration number on it? So how can it be fitted before registration....

....cue chicken and egg posts

SivMY05Sti 13 January 2006 03:12 PM

I'm sure that there is a reason why the PPP has to be fitted after registration....cant remember why ?

Soobmeister 13 January 2006 04:36 PM

Car DOES have to be registered FIRST before IM will release a PPP kit. Doesn't matter whether the kit is fitted at pdi or 1k service takes the same amount of time to fit whatever. I do advise people to wait tho, as the car is run in and plus you can then feel the difference and therefore realise the benefit of PPP.

Chelspeed 13 January 2006 05:55 PM

Cars with PPP fitted either don't meet the relevant noise and emissions for new cars or Subaru UK have chosen not to put the small number of cars (relatively) through the expensive and time consuming EU tests for new cars.

So they can't fit the PPP until after the cars have been registered. That way they are "sold" as new standard cars, already approved under EU tests, and PPP is fitted later.

Same thing applied to the WR1's. Came as "standard" with PPP but such small numbers made that it wasn't worth testing as a separate car. You paid for the car, it was registered, then they fitted PPP and you got it two or three days later.

So it's a bit odd but there's a logical reason for it and good to see even the big car makers can still stick two fingers up at the EU bureaucrats.

andyfish 13 January 2006 07:59 PM

Definately registered then PPP fitted. I have a cherished plate on my WRX300. The PPP cert lists it's first registered reg plate not my cherised plate (which was on the day I drove it out of the show room).

It REALLY doesn't matter - it's a great car, cheaper to insure than a standard WRX and looks gorgeous!:thumb:

andy

bubbalovesponge 13 January 2006 08:34 PM

definatly ppp it

bubbalovesponge 13 January 2006 08:35 PM

i have a uk300 fantastic fun my best car to date!!

Tone Loc 13 January 2006 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by bubbalovesponge
i have a uk300 fantastic fun my best car to date!!

LOL... oh no not another Uk300 / WRX300 confusion thread about to begin :rolleyes: .

Tony.

chris.h 13 January 2006 10:53 PM

as far as i know the uk300 come standed with ppp
just got mine and having loads of fun with it lol
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e3.../scooby300.jpg

Marky9074 13 January 2006 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by chris.h
as far as i know the uk300 come standed with ppp
just got mine and having loads of fun with it lol
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e3.../scooby300.jpg

LOL Tony, yep its going pear shaped again!

THIS is a WRX300 thread 2005 '05 with tea tray' '55 with Prodrive WR Spoiler'.

We are trying to determine if anyone has any grounds to say that PPP was optional rather than 'as sold package'. For example to see if anyone was offered the option and 'turned it down'.

This will have a bearing on all our normal WRX300 insurance and will open up the can of worms again...

C2forWRX 13 January 2006 11:28 PM

It is not an option. for 21495 you got a prodrive wrx n bits but as the ppp was fitted after reg, you didnt have to have it fitted. this did not mean you could have it cheaper by doing so. its like modifying but the other way. nothing to do with being an option you could just say dont fit the ppp. why u wud wanna do this, i do not know.

cars were deliverd to dealer with no ppp

Marky9074 14 January 2006 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by C2forWRX
It is not an option. for 21495 you got a prodrive wrx n bits but as the ppp was fitted after reg, you didnt have to have it fitted. this did not mean you could have it cheaper by doing so. its like modifying but the other way. nothing to do with being an option you could just say dont fit the ppp. why u wud wanna do this, i do not know.

cars were deliverd to dealer with no ppp

Quite! But the point stands. If someone anywhere opted 'to not have PPP', this could have implications to all of us insured under the guise that this was 'part of the package' (note I have dropped the 'as standard'!)

Some people may think this is re-opening a can of worms that we had already forgotten about. But I think it is worth knowing.

I never got asked 'do I not want the PPP', and to be honest I dont think anyone else was either. And likewise I dont think anyone would make a point of saying 'I dont want PPP please dont fit it...'

Mark

flynnstudio 14 January 2006 10:54 AM

Quite! But the point stands. If someone anywhere opted 'to not have PPP', this could have implications to all of us insured under the guise that this was 'part of the package' (note I have dropped the 'as standard'!)

Some people may think this is re-opening a can of worms that we had already forgotten about. But I think it is worth knowing.

I never got asked 'do I not want the PPP', and to be honest I dont think anyone else was either. And likewise I dont think anyone would make a point of saying 'I dont want PPP please dont fit it...'

Mark

Don't worry about it...the insurers will know what the wrx300 spec includes if they have it as a specific listing - it's their business. If you stated WRX300 then it will be fine. You have been 100% honest in your transaction.
if there was confusion and another WRX model was selected as the vehicle then perhaps you need to make sure they understand it's a wrx300 - but you don't need to start saying'it's got a ppp, it's got gold wheels and suede seats etc etc'. You personally have not had the car modified from the manufacturerd WRX300 purchased and therefore insured specification and that's all that matters...

The 'ppp' is not an option it is brouchured as part of the purchase specification...

When (or in the hypothetical instance of IF) it was fitted it is a mere logistical technicality...

RJL_WRX05 14 January 2006 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by flynnstudio
Don't worry about it...the insurers will know what the wrx300 spec includes if they have it as a specific listing - it's their business. If you stated WRX300 then it will be fine. You have been 100% honest in your transaction.
if there was confusion and another WRX model was selected as the vehicle then perhaps you need to make sure they understand it's a wrx300 - but you don't need to start saying'it's got a ppp, it's got gold wheels and suede seats etc etc'. You personally have not had the car modified from the manufacturerd WRX300 purchased and therefore insured specification and that's all that matters...

The 'ppp' is not an option it is brouchured as part of the purchase specification...

When (or in the hypothetical instance of IF) it was fitted it is a mere logistical technicality...

I have an MY05 WRX with PPP. When I insured it (although with Direct Line) they told me that if ppp is fitted post reg then its a modification to the standard car from the Subaru factory. I argued and argued but they would not have it. I understand now that considerable effort has been made to get an insurance classification for these vehicles but I also know that many insurers still do not recognise or understand ppp so be careful as we all know how much insurers do not like it when they have to pay out!

flynnstudio 14 January 2006 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by RJL_WRX05
I have an MY05 WRX with PPP. When I insured it (although with Direct Line) they told me that if ppp is fitted post reg then its a modification to the standard car from the Subaru factory. I argued and argued but they would not have it. I understand now that considerable effort has been made to get an insurance classification for these vehicles but I also know that many insurers still do not recognise or understand ppp so be careful as we all know how much insurers do not like it when they have to pay out!

Fitting a PPP to a standard MY05 WRX IS a modification and so your insurer was right to challenge you on it...the WRX300 comes with it...two totally different things...this is why insurers have a specific listing for the WRX300 because it's a seperate insurance entity to a stock MY05 WRX...

I've also just had an update as to why they are now fitting the PPP after registration - it was becuase lots of dealers were not returning the exchange ECU after fitting - if you bought your car over 5 months ago then it would have been fitted before you got it NOW because of the fact that it's costing prodrive a ton of money they have instigated this new procedure...this closes the issue - WRX300 spec is PPP inclusive - fitting is just a logistical issue...