ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Battery disconnect to reset ECU (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/482788-battery-disconnect-to-reset-ecu.html)

CraigW 10 January 2006 04:00 PM

Battery disconnect to reset ECU

I disconnect my battery for around an hour and a half, maybe two hours at the most, I was told to disconnect the positive so it would reset my ECU, anyways i done this and when I put the key in the ignition it didnt say (anti hi-jack) normally does but didnt when I tryed, anyways i turned the key and no lights what so ever cam on the dash and my rev counter isnt working, any ideas ?

gotmashed 10 January 2006 04:05 PM

take both off for 5 min and put back on

CraigW 10 January 2006 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by gotmashed
take both off for 5 min and put back on

Give me 10minutes then mate, BRB LOL

T_H_E__c_R_O_W 10 January 2006 04:35 PM

just a really stuped sugestion did u make sure when u put the +ve back on it was on solid with a good conection?

CraigW 10 January 2006 04:35 PM

Still the same mate, yesterday it made a noise when the door was open, now its not even doing that, the only light that comes on the dash in the one that lets you know the door is open, seatbelt icon doesnt even come on ?

gotmashed 10 January 2006 04:38 PM

have you got a lose wire thats droped off

jerf 10 January 2006 06:58 PM

i had a similar problem about a month back.if you turn the key does the engine start?i had no lights on the dash apart from the doors open light,no ignition lights or anything but if i turned the key the engine would start:wonder: it turned out to be a printed circuit behind the clocks which a autoelectrician sorted out in an hour.
or it could be something a simple as leaving one of the positive leads off the battery maybe one of the thin red leads?its easily done.good luck pal.

jaytc2003 10 January 2006 07:14 PM

shouldnt you just disconnect the earth? If you disconnect the positive and the cable touches the car body or engine or anything that is earthed it will cause a short (if the earth terminal is still connected)
The outcome of this is potentially blowing fuses//relays etc

CraigW 11 January 2006 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
shouldnt you just disconnect the earth? If you disconnect the positive and the cable touches the car body or engine or anything that is earthed it will cause a short (if the earth terminal is still connected)
The outcome of this is potentially blowing fuses//relays etc

Yeah your right, i think i've blown a relay, I checked my fuses then my friend did and they all seem fine, now I've noticed the car is'nt charging, my friend thinks I may have shorted the alternator as there is no charge going to the battery, I've try swoping battery but still the same it just does dimmer and dimmer then dies.
So the outcome of this is, I think I need a new alternator/recon and a new relay but I've no idea which one ?
All this for taking a battery off :(