ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Do i have to buy the revised MAF housing with the MAF on a MY99 Turbo? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/482687-do-i-have-to-buy-the-revised-maf-housing-with-the-maf-on-a-my99-turbo.html)

Heple 10 January 2006 09:45 AM

Do i have to buy the revised MAF housing with the MAF on a MY99 Turbo?

Just phoned my not so local Subaru dealer about a new MAF sensor for my MY99 UK Turbo Impreza.

They quoted me £70 for the MAF but said i need to buy a new MAF housing at £60. Is this really necessary as the sales rep didnt seem to know what he was on about?

Can i not just put the new MAF in my existing housing?

Has anyone heard of this before?

Craig

Silver Scooby Sport 10 January 2006 09:51 AM

As far as I'm aware you don't need the housing... I had a new MAF fitted and never came accross this, one suggestion though if your changing it for safety and there is nothing wrong with the old one remember to get it back off them and take it home as a spare.

Simon :D

Heple 10 January 2006 09:55 AM

Gonna be fitting it myself and i will be keeping the old bits.

I'm on 60,000 now so i am changing it for a new item as it trigered the "Check Engine" light yesterday.

So no boost for me till a new one is on :cry:

Do you think this would be a good time to change the Lambda aswell?

Craig

Heple 10 January 2006 08:23 PM

Has anyone else heard of this?

impreza.dk 10 January 2006 08:38 PM

The MAF sensor and the Lambda senser is completly independend of each other.

The MAF sensor is a weak spot on the MY99 turbo Impreza - especially if you have changed the air filter to an open air filter like HKS.

If the MAF sensor is defect - change it! There are severel different outcomes of a broken MAF sensor - some are very severe.

In 1999 it was close to imposible to source the sensor without the housing and it was very expensive. Then the MAF sensors became a quite frequent part to replace and Subaru began to sale them independent. You will need a littel special torqe bit with a hole in it to release it, but it is a quite easy replacement.

Barnesy 10 January 2006 09:11 PM

You only need the sensor, the dealer is feeding you bull. 2 min job to change.

Heple 10 January 2006 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Barnesy
You only need the sensor, the dealer is feeding you bull. 2 min job to change.

Cheers mate. Just what i wanted.

Thought he was talkin bull, he was umming and areing alot.

Craig

Vegescoob 11 January 2006 12:40 AM

Did my 99 Turbowagon last year, just MAF sensor, no new housing needed.
The screws have a security Torx head, forgotten exact size.
Set of bits not much from likes of Machine Mart.

TonyFlow 11 January 2006 11:12 AM

You should hopefully get a "green spot" version (seems to hold up a bit better)!
Agreed that only MAF is needed - Stealer is doing the usual "sh!t on the customer" routine!

Heple 11 January 2006 11:14 AM

Cheers guys. Thought he was talking bullsh1t.

Craig

EddScott 11 January 2006 11:26 AM

When I bought my car, I changed the MAF and Lambda just as a precaution more than anything else. I had bought a spare anyway but when I went to Power Engineering for a remap they discovered the filter was an ITG jobby which could kill 99/00 MAFs. It was OK but I changed it anyway to a green spot one.

I didn't bother with a Torx head bit. I just cut a line into the head to unscrew it using a flat head and then replaced the screws with philips one of the same size. I did this working in the basis I'll change the MAF every 3 years.

JamieMiller 11 January 2006 03:31 PM

I drilled the little security part of the torx out on mine, far easier now and no special tools needed.

jjones 11 January 2006 04:51 PM

check which way it points when you remove the old one.

reset the ecu after changing the sensor.

David MY99 11 January 2006 05:37 PM

The MAf of an Nissan Almera TDI is the same and a lot cheaper. we pay for the Nissan Maf €35,--, i'll see if i can come up with the article number

Article number found: 22680-7j600