ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   and bang goes the mainfold, new age wrx (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/482665-and-bang-goes-the-mainfold-new-age-wrx.html)

WRX_Rich 10 January 2006 02:10 AM

and bang goes the mainfold, new age wrx

well 15k later my powerstation equal length manifold has gone pop - in style to be fair, I thought a big end had gone first

now am I right in thinking if I go back to a un equal length manifold I will need it remapped again even if I go for a tubuler stainless jobs like HKS

now if I have to fit another manifold and get a remap I think Midlife and Ninnybobs have shown me the light with their td05 /18gs

If i went for a 18g would a wrx standard ported \ wrapped cast headers loose noticable top end as I don't want much more lag than my current setup ( vf35/ported p18) and I was thinking going back to stock headers will compensate for the larger tubro

Cheers

Rich

gussy 10 January 2006 05:46 PM

Midlifes car has standard manifolds ported by Harvey.On my own car I blew my tubular manifolds and ended up putting back on my ported o/e manifolds then I had to go back to see Andy to trim my map there is a slight difference changing them in actual fact the car felt better with the ported headers than the tubular manifolds

WRX_Rich 10 January 2006 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by gussy
Midlifes car has standard manifolds ported by Harvey.On my own car I blew my tubular manifolds and ended up putting back on my ported o/e manifolds then I had to go back to see Andy to trim my map there is a slight difference changing them in actual fact the car felt better with the ported headers than the tubular manifolds

cheers Gussy, im thinking I will do just the same, I remeber seeing the HKS manifold thinking they looked so much beeter quality than the rest

now I just looked at the price, and a new turbo looks cheap :) ( if I keep my original manifold)

Midlife...... 10 January 2006 11:38 PM

Rich

It's late and I've just spotted your post.......I've swapped for some Roger Clark Motorsport headers with a BRD /Janspeed up / downpipe :D

Class !!

Shaun

WRX_Rich 11 January 2006 01:39 AM

yup seen them, and yes they did look very good quality

can see mucho saving and mucho time off the road, to be honmest I havnet even got the car up to see the exact damage yet Saturday morning job before the Autosports show I think.. bloddy work taking up all my time

Shaun, how laggy do you find you car as it does worry me with the 18g, I wouldn't be going front mount yet

I should have listened shouldnt i :D

Ninnybobs 11 January 2006 10:00 AM

Rich,

I have Supersprint headers and up-pipe on my WRX with a TD05 18g.

I get 1bar of boost by 2800 revs and 1.45 bar by 3200 revs.

Just for info

Martin

Midlife...... 11 January 2006 01:14 PM

Rich

I went from a TD05 16G (ported OEM headers, STi TMIC) to a TD05 18G (RCMS headers, APS FMIC) and to be honest I didn't think it was any laggier.

As Ninnybobs has mentioned above the TD05 18G is no slouch on spool up--I get 1 bar at just below 3000 RPM and it just takes off from there :D

The big difference from the two turbo's is the size of "hit" that it gives and for how long it lasts :D

Shaun

Jay m A 11 January 2006 01:50 PM

Have you guys got any dyno plots of your 18g's - or links to any 18g plots?

cheers

rossyboy 11 January 2006 03:28 PM

HKS headers are only expensive if you buy them new. I picked up a set of used ones for £350.

gussy 11 January 2006 05:58 PM

shaun,
Is there now nowt you haven't changed on that car yet or are you gonna wait for Martins next mod or get in first and shock him.

Fizz 11 January 2006 08:21 PM

what have powerstation said about it?

Ninnybobs 11 January 2006 10:08 PM

Gussy,

I think Shaun is going to 'beat me to the punch' with the next phase of mods ;)

Martin

Midlife...... 11 January 2006 10:51 PM

Rich

I think whatever headers / mods you go for the TD05 18G seems to tie in well with the WRX lower rev limit and 5 speed box :D

I don't track or drag my car (It currently belongs to Nat West PLC) but for general "spirited" driving it suits me !

I miss my old TD04 for "leaving people at the lights" as I find the gear ratio's on my bugeye from first to second don't seem to fit in with the 18G :(

after that the switch from second to third and finally into fourth seem to slot into place :D

I'm not sure what it would be like with a 6 speed STi box but would expect the higher revs would suit the 20G

Shaun

Midlife...... 11 January 2006 10:54 PM

Gussy

I'll have to think of something to beat your new Spec C....:)

Shaun

gussy 12 January 2006 05:25 PM

I havent ordered it yet Shaun I have had a few cracks on the phone with Ian litchfield after I had the test drive and have agreed a price with the work that I am wanting done on it but as every week goes by I relise that I want more done to it,Im still sorting out my late fathers estate shouldn't be long now tho,plus it looks like I have found a buyer for my own car.

WRX_Rich 12 January 2006 06:40 PM

cheers guys..

so whats next Shaun... 2.5

as said any rolling road plots, just looking how it would compare to my vf34 ish turbo

now how to explain to the girl friend that a bust manifold will cost 2k to fix :D

gussy 12 January 2006 08:23 PM

wrx Rich,
Rumour has it that Midlife is going water injection./nitrous.

Midlife...... 12 January 2006 09:05 PM

It's deffo not nitrous !! I need the boot space for ASDA shopping :D

I also have to be a *little* careful as the car actually belongs to Nat West bank until 2007, I don't want to blow it up just yet ..... LOL

Midlife.....

gussy 12 January 2006 10:27 PM

Asda for shopping noooooooooooo!!!!!!! I had you down for marks+spencers
or Booths on the money you make shaun.

Midlife...... 12 January 2006 10:44 PM

*cough* Divorce *cough*

Iceland if I'm lucky......LOL

WRX_Rich 14 January 2006 05:40 PM

RCM manifold be on my door step Tuesday

He did say pushing the pistons any more I will also be pushing my look, not that its impossible

made me think I should save the pennies for a full rebuild next year

Midlife...... 14 January 2006 11:30 PM

Rich

Top choice of a well known Swindon Mapper IMHO :D

I just wondered if you were going to wrap them or have then ceramic coated ..... mine are DEI wrapped :D

Shaun