ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Help on Boost. (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/480630-help-on-boost.html)

RedRexWRX 02 January 2006 01:51 PM

Help on Boost.

Had my car on the rolling road the other day. Only to find out I am running at .5 bar of boost. It was mentioned that it could be the waste gate actuator, so I used one of a TD04 turbo and there seems to be very little difference. Can anyone give me a suggestion as to what to check because my car has a few mods and should be at 280 bhp and it was not making 200 bhp because its not at the right boost. Still feels really quick.
Help apreciated.

carpetman 02 January 2006 01:57 PM

Have you checked all the boost/vacuum pipes as these become hard and britool and split very easily, this can cause loss of boost!!

RedRexWRX 02 January 2006 02:08 PM

Fitted a new turbo on my 94 wrx import. I had a tdo4 on so swapped it for a td05. Car feels quicker than before. So i was surprised i only got half boost. All pipes went on correctly and seemed in good order. Got told it might be the wastegate actuator so i took the one of the td04 and it still drives the same. Apart from the waste gate and checking pipes on the turbo is there any other things to check????

Cheers for the help.

carpetman 02 January 2006 02:11 PM

When you changed the turbo's did you swap ecu's aswell?

RedRexWRX 02 January 2006 02:12 PM

no didnt think i`d need to. do i.........?
Not a prob as i was looking to go for the apexi power fc. Just not so soon. lol

carpetman 02 January 2006 02:18 PM

You have to have the same ecu as the turbo, you put a tdo5 on, but using a tdo4 ecu there are mapped completely different, so that is why you are having problems, if i was you change the ecu quickly before you do any damage.

Tdo4 turbo spools up quicker than a Tdo5 but you'll get more power out of a tdo5 (tdo4 normally in the wagons)

RedRexWRX 02 January 2006 02:27 PM

Cheers for that. I`ll get ecu sorted. could i swap my 94 ecu for a ecu that has a td05 ???

carpetman 02 January 2006 02:31 PM

What scoob you got

wrx,sti,saloon,wagon

RedRexWRX 02 January 2006 03:01 PM

Its a 94 WRX import.

carpetman 02 January 2006 03:08 PM

I take it's a saloon as well, you should find that any ecu from a wrx is fine with what your looking for try GRADE A SUBARU they quoted around £60 and let them know it's to match a tdo5 turbo Once fitted take it easy (no booting it) for around half a tank to let it settle down then it should be fine any probs give us a hola:p

RedRexWRX 02 January 2006 03:26 PM

Sorry. Yeah its a saloon. What ecu year would you recomend and are any of them re-mappable or should i still go for apexi power fc now rather than later???

carpetman 02 January 2006 03:46 PM

Any wrx ecu will do providing it supports the tdo5 turbo, if you can afford the apexi ecu then go for it

carpetman 02 January 2006 05:40 PM

There's a guy in the for sale section selling a a 95 ecu that will fit yours