ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   Changing suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/480195-changing-suspension.html)

Hanslow 30 December 2005 09:37 PM

Changing suspension

OK, thicky question.....

What tools are required to change the suspension springs and dampers on a car?

Will probably need to do this when I get my project car, but haven't a clue what tools would be needed and whether it's better to rent or buy (depending on how cheap, or not, they are).

911 31 December 2005 09:12 AM

Socket set (1/2'')
Metric off-set ring spanners (£8)
Spring compressors (essential = £15)
Possibly a long breaker bar for the 2 strut bolts (£10 Halfords)
Tin of WD40
Camber bolts all round ( 4 of them about £50)
2 Axle stands and a 1.5 tonne minimum jack (buy new, £50)
Be sure you know what you are doing!

Good luck and take care.
Graham

PeteT 31 December 2005 10:15 AM

Is it essential to replace the camber bolts Graham?

DuncanG 31 December 2005 01:10 PM

BIG breaker bar definately
'Surface-Drive' sockets with 6 bumps - much stronger and less nut rounding than 12-point sockets.

Remember to 'break' the strut end nut (in the centre of the top-mount) before jacking the car.

Hanslow 31 December 2005 02:02 PM

Thanks Graham (and others) :thumb:

Looks like I have most of the stuff, so hopefully the rest won't break the bank. I realise it'll need a full geom setup afterwards, but I'm happy to pay for laser guidance on that ;)

Not an issue (yet) but I know that I'll need to change the suspension as the car I plan to get sometime next year will be rather old and driven hard, so will require some fettling ;)

If I've got some vague instructions to follow (which I will have by then) then I should be OK. I'm overly careful when it comes to building / breaking things as I like to know fully what's involved before even starting! I'm one of those 'measure three times, cut it once' type of people, i.e. anal LOL ;)

PeteT 31 December 2005 03:13 PM

I'm going to be doing the same job soon and have bought a 12v impact wrench from Argos to do the strut top nuts and the bottom bolts which are notoriously tight. I tried one of each as an experiment just after getting the impact wrench and it spun them off no bother :)
£14.99 well spent I reckon (actually I've just looked and they are £12.49 now).

911 31 December 2005 07:20 PM

That's interesting Pete, might get one!

I say fit camber bolts as I feel Hanslow will be wanting to tweek the geometry, and you will need the bolts to get the most out of the job.
Def not essential though.

Very good point about socket set. Buy Air gun quality 6 flat sided if you can.

Graham.

Danny Boy 01 January 2006 01:30 PM

Graham, i have got the machine mart version of the generic cheap 12v impact gun thats doing the rounds and it quite easily took the hub to strut nuts off on my car. Not as quick as an air gun but pretty effective for a cheap tool.:)

Dan.

Hanslow 01 January 2006 07:48 PM

Missing tools now added to my birthday list for Feb so all I need now is the project car LOL ;) Thanks all for the info :D