ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Driving Dynamics (https://www.scoobynet.com/driving-dynamics-354/)
-   -   Mixing Snow & Normal tyres WARNING (https://www.scoobynet.com/driving-dynamics-354/479830-mixing-snow-and-normal-tyres-warning.html)

ClintUK 29 December 2005 11:56 AM

Mixing Snow & Normal tyres WARNING

Just picked up some Yokohama snow tyres from a freind for my 97 UK turbo, but they were on different wheels to mine and I didn't have enough nuts for all 4 wheels.

Put 2 on the front while waiting for more wheel nuts.

Big :nono: :lol1:

Doing about 5mph pulling out of T junction completely covered in snow managed a 180 spin pretty much off the throttle apart fom initial pull away.

Had no control whatsoever, all I could do was sit and laugh - didn't hit anything :luxhello:

Had a tail wiggle while overtaking on light slush too, bit more of a moment but again pretty slow

Don't do it it's really bad news :iamwithst Think I should have put them on the back first

Sorted now the snows gone, but off to the Alps for a good play in Feb ;)

ALi-B 30 December 2005 01:38 AM

Golden Rule, regardless of car, or tyre type:
ALWAYS put your best tyres on the rear on any car...be it front, rear or all wheel drive.

Bit late saying that, I know ;):D

ClintUK 30 December 2005 09:15 AM

Front Wheel drive ?

I knew that, I KNOW THAT.
I was being a muppet.

But it really did hit home on a 4x4.
As I said didn't hit anything and sorted now.

However - what about 2 snow tires with a 2 wheel drive car - surely these are best on the front ? I know it'll still be tail happy, but nothing like having driven rear wheels.

ALi-B 30 December 2005 11:19 AM

Nope, still the rear must have the best tyres.

Think of what happens with severe lift off or late and heavy braking into bends on a front wheel drive ;)

Although you could argue that it's better to hit a tree going backwards than going forwards :D

StickyMicky 31 December 2005 05:25 PM

what about putting 2 snow tyres on one side and 2 normal ones on the other,
at least that way he can corner quite well going one way, and the other corner he will just have to go a bit slower :p

ClintUK 03 January 2006 12:09 PM

I suggest putting them on the nearside to allow for roundabouts :D

RRH 09 January 2006 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
what about putting 2 snow tyres on one side and 2 normal ones on the other,
at least that way he can corner quite well going one way, and the other corner he will just have to go a bit slower :p

how about some type of ramp, two wheel 'dukes of hazard' stylee ;)

Graphite 11 December 2006 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Nope, still the rear must have the best tyres.

Think of what happens with severe lift off or late and heavy braking into bends on a front wheel drive ;)

Although you could argue that it's better to hit a tree going backwards than going forwards :D

That has always puzzled me... I know Land Rover recommend chains on all 4 wheels but if you only have 2 chains put them on the rear. It always struck me as strange since you control steering with the front. But from what you say the biggest problem is no traction on the rear under brakeing causing the vehicle to spin around! - Thanks for that it makes sense now :thumb:

Cheers

G

BS 22 December 2006 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Golden Rule, regardless of car, or tyre type:
ALWAYS put your best tyres on the rear on any car...be it front, rear or all wheel drive.

Bit late saying that, I know ;):D

and aquaplaning?

Shark Man 23 December 2006 08:08 PM

Same rule applies.

BS 24 December 2006 12:20 AM

Don't understand the logic. Please expalin

wrx_yank 24 December 2006 01:15 AM

all tires on a subaru should always be the exact same:nono: :nono: :nono: ...(brand ,width, size, model and even treadwear) if not you will incur transmission and/or center diff damage.... i dont understand why people mix and match tires on simmetrical all wheel drive cars:brickwall if you get a flat tire you are supposed to replace all 4 tires .... not just one.....

steve

Shark Man 24 December 2006 01:46 PM

That's actually a slight exaggeration. Yes the car will handle crap/dangerously. And extreme differences in rolling radii may causes damage. However, the system has been designed to tolerate minor differences in the rolling radii of the tyres.

It's not a Calibra Turbo :D;)

StickyMicky 24 December 2006 07:44 PM

oldskool thread :lol:

Shark Man 24 December 2006 08:21 PM

Yup, I was still using ALi-B back then :D

Anyhoo must dash...pub o'clock ;)

carnivorous 27 July 2007 10:23 AM

ALWAYS fit FOUR snow tyres. NEVER mix snow and summer tyres. The difference in grip between the 2, especially on snow, is feckin massive.
But then you know this now....LOL.

StickyMicky 28 August 2007 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky (Post 6477530)
oldskool thread :lol:

oldskool thread pt2 :lol:

Shark Man 28 August 2007 12:25 AM

Sometimes one wishes they hadn't subscibed to certain threads :brickwall: