ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   BEST TYRES??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/479463-best-tyres.html)

anthscooby01 27 December 2005 11:22 AM

BEST TYRES???

Anyone got any opinions on best tyres for scoobs. I have a 53 plate STI typre UK PPP fitted with Bridgestone Potenzas and it slides a lot more than my old 01 WRX. Back end kicks out very easily. My WRX had Goodyear F1s on it and stuck to the road like a limpet.

Spec'c'57 27 December 2005 11:31 AM

Which bridgestones are fitted tho......

nik52wrx 27 December 2005 11:49 AM

I was out yesterday giving my car(MY02) a bit of stick and my Bridgestones were a bit on the loose side :( , first time i've really pushed it in the wet though.
All have to much tread on to think about replacing so will have to stick with them.

Gary C 27 December 2005 11:53 AM

I had the OE RE70's on my STi from new and after about 8K miles they tramlined like crazy (I mean really bad, to the point of almost crashing, you could not drive the car with one hand on some roads in Lancaster)

Now got Michelin Pilot sports and the tramlining has completly vanished. They seem to have softer tyre walls and would probably post a slower lap time.

G.Mac 27 December 2005 11:57 AM

Yea if your car is a wrx I think they come with 050's as standard which are the replacement for the 040's which were CR*P, I had them fitted to my rx8 and that's one of the reasons I nearly crashed it!!!!
The Sti's however come fitted with the 070's which are amazing as long as its dry, they can get a little interesting in the wet!!
Im just after replacing both my back tyres with F1's and the back of the car now feels a lot more planted in damp conditions and road noise is down a bit as well so would recommend the Goodyear F1's. I got mine delivered from www.mytyres.co.uk for £86.30 each for the 225 45 17's so not bad a deal there if you dont mind waiting a week to get them

Graeme

TonyBurns 27 December 2005 11:58 AM

My original RE070's tramlined quite badly until they were worn in, then i had no problems with them :D my new RE070's dont tramline that much (but all 225/45/17's will tramline due to their size).
The RE040/050's shouldnt be as bad, the RE070's are probably the best of the bunch, and very good if not excellent in the dry and wet :D just a bit interesting on greasy roads :eek::D

Tony:D

reano 27 December 2005 12:23 PM

I have exactly the same plate and had the same problem. Get Toyo proxies t1-r (something like that) the problem will go away and the handling will improve a lot too!! :luxhello:

anthscooby01 27 December 2005 03:23 PM

just checked and they are RE040's which I now gather are not a good tyre for grip. They do not inspire confidence on greasy twisties at all and are quite scary at times. One plus point is that they do not seem to wear much at all even after a few sideways sessions but its grip I need.Will be binning them at earliest opportunity for F1's or Toyo Proxes I think!!!

chippy17 27 December 2005 04:43 PM

when I bought my MY99 it had just had a set of P6000s put on and oh dear! shocking tyres, the car slides all over the place and understeers quite badly, desperately trying to wear them out, the Toyo's have been recommended by several people and I also put a set of Khumo Ecsta's on my wife's Golf GTi and, for the money, I am very impressed not sure I would put them on a faster car though...
A friend also just put a set of Asymmetricos (spelling/name!) on his Scooby and cannot stop raving about them, silly money though. IMO I think I will try the Toyos when the time comes...

ryn004 27 December 2005 05:39 PM

I use Toyo Proxes on MY97.

Gary C 27 December 2005 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
My original RE070's tramlined quite badly until they were worn in, then i had no problems with them :D my new RE070's dont tramline that much (but all 225/45/17's will tramline due to their size).
Tony:D

True, they all do tramline a bit. Its just my OE RE70's got so bad (and worse as time went on), the car became dangerous. I think they may have been faulty but could get no joy from anyone as I thought it was the suspension, had it in several times and had a full geo setup from APB. When I changed the tyres, the car transformed back to the car I originally bought. The daft thing is, when pushing them, they were great (in the dry), the car was very precise and predictable, it was easier to kill the understeer with the RE70s than with the Pilots mainly because they were more responsive.

I will not go back to RE70's thoguh, but I think I might have got a defective tyre.

corradoboy 27 December 2005 08:52 PM

Vredestein UltraC :thumb: Superb in all conditions (except snow :rolleyes: ) and great value :thumb:

gogsie 27 December 2005 09:06 PM

I too had the RE 070's and thought they were a great tyre until the cold damp nights came in. Then I was sliding every where, especailly understeer.
Chucked on a set of F1 XL GSD's and after they were run in a bit they were much better. Kept they 070's for track days in the summer though!!

wide 27 December 2005 09:42 PM

To be honest used to have toyos on my old 16s , but when i bought new superleggeras I was tight and went budget. I ended up with nankangs that I thought were poo but now they have had good wearing and they are not too bad. Flame suit on:norty:

davedipster 27 December 2005 10:39 PM

If you want steering feedback and amazing grip when warm then bridgestone RE070's are the only tyres to get.

Karl-AL 27 December 2005 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by davedipster
If you want steering feedback and amazing grip when warm then bridgestone RE070's are the only tyres to get.

well said i have re070,s on my 05sti and they are amazing, excellent in the dry and very good in the wet and i really do like to push the car to its limits when possable.

Dreds 28 December 2005 07:38 AM

I also have got a 53 plate STI typre UK PPP. A month ago I swapped the tyres for Michelin Pilot Sport 2's. It has completely transformed the grip levels, turn-in and handling. They are excellent wet or dry and thoroughly recommend them. Paid £452 for 4 (Wiltshire).

davyboy 28 December 2005 09:16 AM

Michelin Pilot Sport 2 are the best road tyres you can get. But most people don't want to pay the price.

COF139 28 December 2005 09:50 AM

I also have an STI 8 PPP which originally had RE040's on. It tramlined like mad, and did not inspire confidence. I changed to the Eagle F1's and it has totally transformed the car.....honestly !

53 28 December 2005 10:23 AM

Based on the last three replies, regardless of cost, which would people buy ? -

Michelin Pilot Sport 2 or Eagle F1's

corradoboy 28 December 2005 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Based on the last three replies, regardless of cost, which would people buy ? -

Michelin Pilot Sport 2 or Eagle F1's

Vredestein UltraC :thumb:

anthscooby01 28 December 2005 05:58 PM

Have to say that I had the Michelins on my old WRX when I bought it and they were outstanding. Not sure if they were better than F1's or not. certainly both are much much better than my poo Bridgestones. Prob gonna go for F1,s as a place near me sells them part worn (as in twice round block!!!) for about £30 each

ALi-B 28 December 2005 06:45 PM

Why on earth can't I find "Michelin Pilot Sport 2" tyres ??
Do they even exist?? :confused:

Can only find "Michelin pilot sports" but not in a 215/40/17 size :(

Anyone tried "Michelin Pilot Exalto" tyres??

53 28 December 2005 07:45 PM

According to Michelin Web site for a subaru Imp 2000 onwards...

Pilot SPORT PS2 in a 17" is available as 215/45ZR17 87 Y

Pilot Exalto is the 215/40ZR17 87 W

53 28 December 2005 07:50 PM

Also...try this link

http://www.michelin.co.uk/uk/images/...ions_sport.jpg

jasonius 29 December 2005 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Vredestein UltraC :thumb:

How does the sidewall stiffness compare to Bridgestones..?

I'm after something with a stiff sidewall (as is the wife :norty: ) as I like to have a lot of feedback from the steering..;)

corradoboy 29 December 2005 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by jasonius
How does the sidewall stiffness compare to Bridgestones..?

Not as stiff as RE070's, but stiffer than more normal tyres I've used. My mate had these on his STi (4x 225/35/18 for £320) and rated them much higher than his P-Zero Nero's and Toyo's. I had the lower spec SportraC on mine until recently and couldn't fault them, but will have the UltraC next time.

http://en.red-dot.org/rd/img_wiw04/305/2003-1216-f.jpg

CLICKY. My mates and me buy them from a trade place on Tong Road, Armley, Leeds called Tyres 4 Less. To get the trade price you have to collect them and take them elsewhere for fitting, but as I said earlier £320 for 18's, and my 17" SportraC's were £240 you can't grumble about another £10/ for fitting :thumb:

dazzaTypeR 29 December 2005 06:11 PM

I've been looking for a set of new rubber for my TypeR.

I've always had Toyo's before now but have heard from a fair few poeple raving about how good the Nankangs are... just looked at the price and cant believe you can get a set of 4 215/35/18's for £250....

Is it me, this just doesn't sound right, people I know who've used them say they've been great. Are they any good or are these people just putting up a front to avoid admitting they really bought dogs.

I'm tempted just to try them, it's only £250 quid, if I can get them and they are'nt great I can stick them in the garage for a rainy day..... (if they work in the wet)

Anybody heard any simillar rumblings or any other feedback.

Oh, i'snt snow great, how I laughed when a friend poped round in his 500horse TTSupra. We dont get gritters round here so it's sheet ice. He put it in drive and it just sat there spinning on tick over, he could'nt move an inch. I had to get some sand out of the shed and keep throwing beneath his rear wheels till he built up some momentum.

ALi-B 29 December 2005 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by 53WRX

Ta, but that link is for the "Pilot sport", (as per the Michelin website). Or is Pilot PS2 another tyre as well??

Have they just replaced the pilot sport and kept the same name then? Or are there two pilot sports out there (even though there is only one listed on the website which is just branded as "Pilot Sport").

Just asking, as a set of "Pilot Sports" on one of our BMWs is clearly branded on the tyre wall as "Pilot sport", but it is actually a "Pilot Primacy" and has a completely different tread pattern :confused: :brickwall: Bloody French :rolleyes:

davyboy 30 December 2005 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by dazzaTypeR
but have heard from a fair few poeple raving about how good the Nankangs are... just looked at the price and cant believe you can get a set of 4 215/35/18's for £250....

People always rave about their purchases, you'll never hear them say they bought cheap becuase they are tight!

Never ceases to amaze me how pople spend so much on mods, arb's, suspension, geometry etc, and put ****ty chinese rubber dog**** tyres on their cars! One of the most important things on your car, and people make a cut back?