ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Optimax v. Ultimate (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/478834-optimax-v-ultimate.html)

Group Captain Smudger 22 December 2005 05:42 PM

Optimax v. Ultimate

Noticed in an earlier thread a disparaging comment about BP Ultimate. In Fifth Gear last month, using a 06 sti amongst others, they rated Optimax as the best (it only gave 1hp more than BPU but the torque figure was much better). However in a test in the latest copy of Evo, it's Ultimate that gets the nod (but they only use a golf gti). So I guess it boils down to personal choice. Or should it?

(BTW I don't have an axe to grind as I don't use either - way too expensive).

Moley 22 December 2005 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Group Captain Smudger
Noticed in an earlier thread a disparaging comment about BP Ultimate. In Fifth Gear last month, using a 06 sti amongst others, they rated Optimax as the best (it only gave 1hp more than BPU but the torque figure was much better). However in a test in the latest copy of Evo, it's Ultimate that gets the nod (but they only use a golf gti). So I guess it boils down to personal choice. Or should it?

(BTW I don't have an axe to grind as I don't use either - way too expensive).

Personal choice. Seems certain engines prefer certain petrol.

I DEFINALETLY notice a difference when using BP Ultimate, and i try to avoid it as much as i can.

Optimax or Tesco 99 for me, but again, depends on car.

Brun 22 December 2005 05:53 PM

Mine knocks on BP :)

scoobfan 22 December 2005 05:59 PM

Mine goes like stink on BP with Pro Boost.

Rob

Juliano 22 December 2005 06:09 PM

With optimax feels slower more knock but lower inj duty:)

With bp ultimate feels more responsive and less knock but higher inj duty:)

Wurzel 22 December 2005 08:03 PM

I filled up with BP Ultimate in Dover and I can't believe it is only 97ron, we get the same stuff in Germany and it is 100ron.

Also my knocklink lights up like a christmas tree when I use UK petrol. So glad I brought a gerry can of the good stuff from Germany.

MickeyWRX 23 December 2005 02:02 PM

have used optimax on my import i just sold for 2 1/2 years but the shell garage is 20 miles away and the bp is only 7 so thats what i use now on my MY05 WRX PPP fells ok but doesnt feel as fast as my 95 WRX might try optimax in it when i get the chance but is it worth it for just alittle bit of torque and bhp when ive already got 265bhp?

WRXPete 23 December 2005 06:27 PM

So many variables, so few tests....

scoobfan 23 December 2005 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by MickeyWRX
have used optimax on my import i just sold for 2 1/2 years but the shell garage is 20 miles away and the bp is only 7 so thats what i use now on my MY05 WRX PPP fells ok but doesnt feel as fast as my 95 WRX might try optimax in it when i get the chance but is it worth it for just alittle bit of torque and bhp when ive already got 265bhp?

It will feel slower, it's a newage !! ;)

Rob

tath 23 December 2005 07:27 PM

i thought opti was now dead?

scoobfan 23 December 2005 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by tath
i thought opti was now dead?

Only temporarily

tath 23 December 2005 07:34 PM

to be replaced with 100RON or is this rumour? I'm sure this has been covered but I've been away :p

scoobfan 23 December 2005 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by tath
to be replaced with 100RON or is this rumour? I'm sure this has been covered but I've been away :p

You may be confusing this with the fact that it has been discussed,
and in Germany they have BP 100RON.

Rob

tath 23 December 2005 08:06 PM

on other forums, rumours of Shell V-Power/Optimax Extreme (boosted with ethanol?) being rolled out here are rife. People who work for shell are claiming the posters have been made up etc. and we should start to see it early next year?

Alledgedly anyway :D