ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Registration plate swap..... (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/478754-registration-plate-swap.html)

Raartoot 22 December 2005 10:26 AM

Registration plate swap.....

Morning all, Just a quick un, My99 has an original plate on it and looks the dogs B's and people always ask whether its a private or not...anyway, Ive had it valued with a few places and the best one came back to me with an Offer of £800 - £1000, I just wanted to know if I was to get rid of the plate then how does it work, Because its an original plate, is it still poss to get it took off sold and replaced?????

Someone said to me If I was to sell then just buy a cheap plate for it, Im just thinking for future reference thats all...

Scooby Snacks 23 22 December 2005 10:57 AM

Apply to put the plate on retention.

Spec'c'57 22 December 2005 11:42 AM

DVLA will put a year related plate on it if you remove it onto retention also.... :D:D

Raartoot 22 December 2005 08:51 PM

ah right so if I was to sell it then I could basically sell it like it was a private plate and DVLA will give me a replacement plate...am I right????:confused:

s70rjw 22 December 2005 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Raartoot
ah right so if I was to sell it then I could basically sell it like it was a private plate and DVLA will give me a replacement plate...am I right????:confused:

Yes

RON 22 December 2005 08:58 PM

Be aware that putting it on retention will cost £105, if you then sell it to an individual, you need to have their name put on the certificate, that will cost another £25, so there are costs to be born in mind when doing this....!!

Raartoot 22 December 2005 09:09 PM

Yeah cheers mate, I know that..

I just didnt know you could sell an original plate aswell as get a replacement too, Thought it was just private plates you could sell.
Thanks Folk!!!

BrynO 22 December 2005 09:36 PM

Unless it says on your V5 'non transferrable', some normal plates are not transferrable for whatever reason

Raartoot 22 December 2005 09:51 PM

:wonder: good point, Ill have a look.......................................

Spec'c'57 23 December 2005 08:31 AM

i does stand out a fair amount if it NON tranferable.... my scoob had R57 NMR
which clearly stated the above. so once i changed it it was gone.....

bob r 23 December 2005 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Raartoot
Morning all, Just a quick un, My99 has an original plate on it and looks the dogs B's and people always ask whether its a private or not...anyway, Ive had it valued with a few places and the best one came back to me with an Offer of £800 - £1000, I just wanted to know if I was to get rid of the plate then how does it work, Because its an original plate, is it still poss to get it took off sold and replaced?????

Someone said to me If I was to sell then just buy a cheap plate for it, Im just thinking for future reference thats all...

BORING:sleep:

Nick Read 23 December 2005 01:58 PM

Be careful with these valuations. They all overvalue in the hope of getting your business, but they don't actually buy your plate off you unless it's a real good one like PEN 1S or something. Most people's plates they just stick it on their website at 2-3 times what they've offered you, and you either wait years while it doesn't sell, or if it does sell you get nothing like what you could have got by selling it yourself.

Putting your plate on retention and assigning it to another vehicle once it's sold costs a fair whack and it's only really worth doing it if you can be sure that you could ebay it for £400 or more. Otherwise the costs far outweigh the hassle, and that's by doing everything yourself through the DVLA!

I suggest looking on ebay for plates and see how little people will really pay for a good plate. THen look on the DVLA 'cherished' website to see how to do the whole process yourself.

slagmagnet69 23 December 2005 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by bob r
BORING:sleep:

pmsl :D