ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Xbox 360... How LOUD!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/478736-xbox-360-how-loud.html)

Neanderthal 22 December 2005 09:21 AM

Xbox 360... How LOUD!!!

Bejebus!!
First fired it up to the dashboard, set it all up. Xbox Live! painless to do as well :D :D
I had heard rumours that the 360 was quite loud and thought after my initial dashboard experience they were talking rubbish.
Then I put the PGR3 disc in.... OMG!!! at first I thought my speakers were fcuked but after fiddling with the volume I realised that was the sound of the disc spinning!
Not exactly going to be able to watch a movie on it!!

Might have to build some kind of acoustic enclosure for it!!

wah 22 December 2005 09:27 AM

Jesus don't enclose it in anything, as your next post you will be telling us it has 4 red lights on the front due to over heating lol ;)

Neanderthal 22 December 2005 09:31 AM

Sorry of course when I said enclosure I meant ventilated enclosure. I know the ventilation means some of the noise will escape but something needs to be done!!

wah 22 December 2005 09:34 AM

Lol I have got used to it now but I know what you mean, I thought the same until I played a game on it and thought the thing was going to take off, I'm not that bothered in playing films through it as I have a seperate DVD player for that.

Neanderthal 22 December 2005 09:37 AM

I've got limited space so I've always used the Xbox for both.
Having said that, I can't remember how loud the original Xbox was with a disc in cause I used to just run them from the HD.

Iain Young 22 December 2005 09:42 AM

My old xbox was just as loud. So is my slimline ps2, (except that hasn't got the fans, but the disc is just as noisy). I use a dvd player to play dvds, as I find you get a better image quality anyway and it's a multi-region player (something which neither the ps2 or xbox will do).

wah 22 December 2005 09:43 AM

I don't remember it being any where near as loud as the 360 !!

Iain Young 22 December 2005 09:46 AM

My 360 is actually slightly quieter than my old xbox :D

Neanderthal 22 December 2005 09:48 AM

Iain you've got a dodgy one mate, I'd send it back ;)

Maybe when playing DVD movies it won't have to spin them so fast so might be quieter!

Iain Young 22 December 2005 09:50 AM

:D

wah 22 December 2005 09:52 AM

I will never forget setting the 360 up for the first time having not pushed the HD cable in fully and getting the four " Disco Lights of Death ", I was so p1ssed off then I double checked !!!!!

DJ Dunk 22 December 2005 09:52 AM

Sure is loud ! I've moved mine into the TV cabinet with the back off for ventilation and can't hear it now :)

Hanslow 22 December 2005 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Iain Young
I use a dvd player to play dvds, as I find you get a better image quality anyway and it's a multi-region player (something which neither the ps2 or xbox will do).

Not strictly true as you can get RegionX for the PS2 (not sure on XBox) which allows you to play multi region. Ok it needs a disk swap, but it allows you to do it all the same....and it's legal ;) I got my copy off the cover of a magazine :D

I found the quality nearly as good as a standalone DVD player, but not quite. That's the positives. Negatives are that the remote controls for the console DVD players are a bit poo, and they do give out a lot more noise :(

Iain Young 22 December 2005 10:02 AM

RegionX doesn't work on the new slimeline ps2.

TopBanana 22 December 2005 10:06 AM

it must be possible to replace the fans with high-grade, low-noise units

Hanslow 22 December 2005 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Iain Young
RegionX doesn't work on the new slimeline ps2.

Does it not? Have they changed some of the internals then? Good job I got an old fat one (not that I use it to play DVDs) :D

I take back what I said then ;)

[flame suit]
Of course, the PS3 will be a lot quieter..... [sneaks out quietly] :D
[/flame suit]

Actually, the current PS3 is a lot quieter, at least mine is LOL :D ;)

Neanderthal 22 December 2005 10:11 AM

Its not the fans its the actual DVD drive I believe

davegtt 22 December 2005 10:18 AM

I was shocked at how loud it was until I was sucked into the game play of COD2 then I couldnt hear a thing, even managed to block the misses out when she was telling me to turn the damn thing off :D lol

STi wanna Subaru 22 December 2005 10:32 AM

Chip in the original Xbox and you can play multi-region DVD films. Xbox with a chip is the best money I've ever spent.

RB170 22 December 2005 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
Bejebus!!
First fired it up to the dashboard, set it all up. Xbox Live! painless to do as well :D :D
I had heard rumours that the 360 was quite loud and thought after my initial dashboard experience they were talking rubbish.
Then I put the PGR3 disc in.... OMG!!! at first I thought my speakers were fcuked but after fiddling with the volume I realised that was the sound of the disc spinning!
Not exactly going to be able to watch a movie on it!!

Might have to build some kind of acoustic enclosure for it!!

C*NT

:D I found you

Neanderthal 22 December 2005 11:05 AM

LOL
If only I had a TV like yours!
It would loook AW360ME!

sime46 22 December 2005 12:37 PM

Only just got mine home and WOW...it is loud, but I instantly forgave it when i just played PGR3 for the first time. It looks sooooo good, even on my 32" crt. Was dear off ebay, but worth it so far. Ordered COD2 from play. Cant wait...:luxhello:

carlpcross 22 December 2005 02:54 PM

mine was load for first couple of weeks, its now f***ed in a box waiting for dhl to pick it up for a relacement,some sort of software prob, you tend to get used to the noise after a while, pg3 and cod2 did look good on a 50" hi-def screen though.

Mogsi 22 December 2005 03:34 PM

Game discs are ferkin loud... However when playing DVD's it's not actually to bad.. It must spin them up at different speeds....