ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   International (https://www.scoobynet.com/international-24/)
-   -   ...your 'ring questions answered..... (https://www.scoobynet.com/international-24/47767-your-ring-questions-answered.html)

Richard Askew 15 August 2001 11:49 PM

...on Marks thread several peeps have asked questions about the Ring....maybe here some of the experienced chappies can help 'em out....

Get posting your Ring Virgin questions below:

[This message has been edited by Richard Askew (edited 15 August 2001).]

Rich_R 16 August 2001 07:50 AM

I agree with Rich - if your attitude and self control keeps you within your limits you should be OK. It's when you start to try to beat your times or think that the Ring is easy and lose concentration that problems could happen.

I would also try to get a trackday in before if its practical or even an airfield day - just so you can chuck the car around and get used to handling on the limit as well as keeping an eye out for faster drivers looking to pass.

Also when you get to the Ring - ask some of the guys that have been a few times if you can sit in for a few laps and also whether they will sit in with you to give you some pointers/advice - It really helps.

Rich.

James_Harvey 16 August 2001 09:35 AM

..... Cost of insurance......

The Nordschleiffer is officially classed as a public toll road, cant remember its official designation, but its probably on

Renault21Porsche0 16 August 2001 11:02 AM

As my trip to the 'Ring in June/July was virgin territory I can only confirm expert views.

One thing that I would add is that the 'Ring is very difficult to learn in one weekend:

Certain parts of the circuit look very similar to others and it is all to easy to line up for an expected left and find yourself on the inside of the right hand bend looking a real idiot.
Other sections are blind crests which hide numerous pitfalls.

After three laps as a passenger I ventured out as a driver with Stef alongside, took another lap with Harj in the co drivers seat, then ventured out alone....
And spun at a chicane I had forgotten all about.

My 2c worth:

Be a passenger (Thanks to Harj, Stef, Tony Quinn, Matt Oz, John Felstead).
Get a passenger; all of the guys will help you, they're a terrific bunch.(And it saves having to reach over to the ticket barrier!)
Take it easy, dont try to be a hero.

It was just four days but it was one of the best holidays of my life. I would heartily recommend it to anyone!

Regards,

Lee

Steve Perriam 16 August 2001 11:28 AM

thanks for the replies guys and to Richard for starting this thread.

sounds like a good trip,i'll have to see what i can sort out.

cheers

steve

rsquire 16 August 2001 12:10 PM

One of the questions was..

Is it suitable for someone that has not done a UK track day.

I'd say yes provided that you are sensible in your driving. IMHO There are several differences to doing a UK track day.

1. There is all sorts of traffic on the course, from tourists driving at 30mph enjoying the scenery, through coaches, motorbikes (slow and fast) and some very fast machinery. You can imagine it as rather like a very long one way country road, with no speed limits

2. The track is huge. There is NO way that you'll memorise it, unlike driving on a UK track. So you must drive accordingly until you learn where the fast safe bits are.

Basically, if you take the approach of driving within your and your cars limits and using your mirrors then you shouldn't have a problem.

Well that's my 2c worth.

Richard

airhead 17 August 2001 02:01 PM

so what about crash helmets, are they advisable/optional/mandatory etc etc.

airhead

James_Harvey 17 August 2001 04:57 PM

Its a public road, so optional.
I would say advisable though... Its your noggin after all http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/smile.gif

James.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by airhead:
<B>so what about crash helmets, are they advisable/optional/mandatory etc etc.

airhead[/quote]

Type R 17 August 2001 05:02 PM

Its optional, and i didnt wear one back in July, but after seeing the E50 Hartage all mangled up i will next time.

Treat it like a UK track day, only difference make a mistake and crash, it will be hard on the car and you and you need as much protection as possible.

As Rich Askew said to me "if you have been in a car which has rolled, you realise why its recommended".

Matt

airhead 17 August 2001 05:17 PM

ok, I think I've been convinced !!

ChrisB 21 August 2001 11:08 AM

BTTT.

Loads of information on Ben Lovejoy's excellent site - accident procedure, petrol etc.

Steve Perriam 21 August 2001 08:33 PM

chris

good site that m8

still considering it !

will peeps be going down there in convoy ?

as i've never driven on the continent be good to link up with peeps who know the way !

cheers

steve

James_Harvey 22 August 2001 12:03 AM

If you book via Bike 2 Track as per Marks post, then, most definately!!!!

We'll meet at Dover, as we'll all be on the same boat...

We also use Motorola Talkabout Radios to keep in touch... If you have one, bring it along http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/smile.gif

James.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Steve Perriam:
<B>
will peeps be going down there in convoy ?
[/quote]

Steve Perriam 22 August 2001 08:30 PM

ok another question.....

are a few laps likely to do much to tyres and brakes ?

can u easily get replacements over there if necessary ?

cheers

steve

harj 22 August 2001 09:52 PM

Steve,

From personal experience at the Ring in the Scoob, the brakes won't get much of a hammering but the tyres sometimes can going by my last trip. We had to swap from to rear mid-day.

Best thing to do is get yourself a spare set of pads and call Tyres Northampton and ask for some cheapo Part Worns or even 1 tyre in case.

Parts over there are scare ie brakes, tyres are buyable but expensive if youve got an English accent as others have found.

Harj...