ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Uofficial Announcement (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/477113-uofficial-announcement.html)

ajm 13 December 2005 09:48 PM

Uofficial Announcement

Due to the usual complete lack of communication from the powers that be I have taken it upon myself to post an explanation for today's server debacle.

It seems, from the fact the forum now contains the new AJAX implementation, that contrary to their claims of 'performance testing' that they are actually trying to upgrade the forum software to vBulletin 3.5x

AJAX uses quite a few changes to the page template in order to work correctly, hence it is probable that the current unsightly template is the results of the Webbies' frantic attempts to get it to work as it is common to have to 'revert' the templates to do so.

I know if I was still a paid up member I would be livid at the lack of courtesy towards their customers so I hope this goes someway to stir up... errr I mean 'appease' your anger! :D ;)

NotoriousREV 13 December 2005 09:57 PM

Wasn't AJAX renamed CIF? ;)

ajm 13 December 2005 09:58 PM

http://www.answers.com/ajax&r=67

;)

FlightMan 13 December 2005 10:00 PM

Got no idea what your talking about, so can i just say the removal of the drop down menu, and the hover text over titles, is REALLY PI$$ING ME OFF!!

Argh.....

Bring it back, bring it back, bring it back, please....

Markus 13 December 2005 10:01 PM

SN Adopting a new technology? My word, whatever next! It's not like it's taken god knows how long to get onto VB 3.5!

Maybe in five years time they will have moved to linux servers!

Bubba po 13 December 2005 10:04 PM

It's taken nearly two years to fix the :wonder: smiley, FFS. :rolleyes:

ALi-B 13 December 2005 10:05 PM

I remember the days when it was called Vim :D

Seriously though you have a good point. The dumbing down is an insult to the average person's intelligence. And from a paying "Plus Member's" point of view, I would say it is disgusting.

As many know, Scooby ownership used to be hand in hand with IT professionals - until the the media spotlight came along, it was a geek's car of choice. So there are plenty here who do server admin for a living. And I'm sure they, amongst the others who are computer literate would like a bit more time and consideration spent in posting a bulletin informing us of proposed maintainence works, and what will be done.

Not that anyone would take notice of that....it'll need to be in 72pt font size and posted at the top of every page for some of blind feejits on here to see it ;):D

StickyMicky 13 December 2005 10:06 PM

wonderd why i had never saw that smiley in the box before
figured it was sum gay mozzila thing :lol:

Markus 13 December 2005 10:12 PM

It does make you wonder if they don't state the server specs and software specs as they might get laughed at, or horrified looks from users whose desktop machines are n degrees more powerfull than the servers.

As said, a fair percentage of us are in IT and so know the odd thing about how the internet and forums and servers work, and so we might be able to offer handy hints or help out.

Instead we are kept in the dark about exactly what is being done. One could think they don't know what they are doing and simply don't want the majority of us thinking they are totally inept when it comes to forum managment and upgrades.

Some could even say they don't want to reveal things as it would mean we might say "well spend some money and upgrade the servers/software"

Who knows!

I'd love to have detailed info on what the BBS is running on, what the different versions of software are, database size, and things like that.

It's like being treated like a child, who can understand things, but the parent believes they either cannot understand, or are unwilling to explain to try and maintain some feeling of superiority over the child.

ajm 13 December 2005 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bubba po
It's taken nearly two years to fix the :wonder: smiley, FFS. :rolleyes:

They need to sort out the :Suspiciou tag too :Suspiciou .. change it to something sensible like :suss:...

then run the following queries:

Code:

UPDATE post SET pagetext = REPLACE (pagetext,':Suspiciou',':suss:') WHERE pagetext LIKE '%:Suspiciou%';
UPDATE pmtext SET message = REPLACE (message,':Suspiciou',':suss:') WHERE message LIKE '%:Suspiciou%';

to retrospectively change it in existing posts...

But then the offer of my help was tendered, snubbed and consequently retracted ages ago! :D ;)

RJMS 13 December 2005 11:02 PM

There's another thread about not being able to access threads on IE, I've just had the same on Mozilla (click on the thread link and get a blank page), but it's now OK again, what's going on ??

fast bloke 13 December 2005 11:21 PM

ajm - careful - you are starting to be as painful on the eardrum as Markus

ajm 13 December 2005 11:26 PM

No need to get personal! :mad:

;)

7 Foot 13 December 2005 11:30 PM

Even if I try reeeeally hard I just can't seem to get worked up by technical problems on an internet forum.

Am I doing something wrong?

ALi-B 13 December 2005 11:34 PM

Scoobynet has yet to see the wrath of me "worked up" LOL :D:D

If I were that serious I'd have "parked" my scooby in their server room

(kill two birds with one stone :lol: )

7 Foot 13 December 2005 11:40 PM

:lol1:

Aah, I've found the origin of "park". Thought you were babbling. ;)

GC8 13 December 2005 11:42 PM

Kill the car; youll feel better ffs!

ALi-B 13 December 2005 11:43 PM

Don't tempt me :D

7 Foot 13 December 2005 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by GC8
Kill the car; youll feel better ffs!

Steady!!:p

GC8 13 December 2005 11:56 PM

I have never seen a man dislike a car with such passion. It begs the question: why dont you sell the f*cking thing? Is it so that you can run it into the ground?

ex-webby 14 December 2005 12:02 AM

guys

We've been in contact regularly. We've explained that we are working round the clock on the server to test and upgrade literally hundreds of elements.

This is a major MAJOR job, and will ulitimately include the move to LINUX as finally the negatives are overpowered by the positives. In many ways this is great news as we'll finally enjoy the comparrible effortless speed of LINUX, but it means the negatives of this move are going to be felt by everyone, and that will include the time it will take to get up to speed on it. This is something we've wanted to avoid as long as we could, and is one of the main reasons we've constantly told everyone that while we understand a move to LINUX would be of great benefit there are downsides also. These are the downsides.

Regarding us not keeping in contact. look for threads prior to posting and you'll see the communication.

Post in the correct forum and you'll also get more response.

For the record (for about the 10th time in 3 days).. the site will be up and down regularly over the coming week, and we are working until around 3am every single day on the major things in order to cause as little disruption to your enjoyment as possible.

Please bare with us, we're working very hard, and the results will be great for everyone.

webby

fast bloke 14 December 2005 12:14 AM

Don't listen to them webby- they are just a bunch of whingers. Bring back the drop down at the bottom of the page and we will forgive everything else (for now..... ) :D

ALi-B 14 December 2005 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by GC8
I have never seen a man dislike a car with such passion. It begs the question: why dont you sell the f*cking thing? Is it so that you can run it into the ground?

Aye, it'll be ran into ground (or some other hard object ;) ). That is if the man I'm seeing about an Elan 130/5 later in week will take a part chop

Did the Webhamster just say something??? :confused:

:D

Simon K 14 December 2005 01:06 AM

When will the " hover text over titles" return ?

Surely having this feature reduces the number of clicks / databases requests caused by having to double click on a topic, the exit out when you realise your not interested in that topic after all ??

SBK

Trout 14 December 2005 02:10 AM

Mmmm - I have noticed that SN is not presenting properly now when I use Mozilla Firefox - it was fine before.

Humph.

Rannoch

Markus 14 December 2005 02:44 AM

Finally SN sees sense and is moving to linux, didn't take too long to come to the correct conclusion that windows just simply won't cut it.

I don't recall seing a big sticky in General or any forum at all saying the site will be doing it's impression of a yo-yo. Maybe it might be an idea to have such a sticky in all forums, at least then we're all forewarned about the downtime.

Billbill 14 December 2005 03:02 AM

The sticky in every forum.

Billbill 14 December 2005 03:03 AM

Even the ones nobody visits??

Billbill 14 December 2005 03:03 AM

Give Webby a break!!!

Billbill 14 December 2005 03:04 AM

:D