ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   strangest thing happened to me last night (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/476969-strangest-thing-happened-to-me-last-night.html)

jaytc2003 13 December 2005 08:48 AM

strangest thing happened to me last night

Got pulled over last night by a motorcycle cop doing forty in a thirty. (main road late at night no kids). Turned of car, walked over to officer (opened car door first), expecting the worse.

Officer says "you have given me no excuse not to do you for speeding :nono: ", I just replied sorry officer, I know I was going a little bit fast and I am sorry. It wont happen again.

He then said, okay just watch your speed in future, have a nice day (thought they only said that in films) and he then drove off.

I was in a state of shock for about 30 seconds, then the temperature got hold of me so I got back in my car and told my gf what the cop had said.

So just goes to show not all cops are bad (majority perhaps) :)

7 Foot 13 December 2005 09:06 AM

Did you undo a couple of shirt buttons and give it 'the hip wiggle' as you walked over? ;)

rigga 13 December 2005 09:09 AM

goes to show if you dont give them any grief and be pleasent then they are human after all........ happened to me before,was a bike copper too

rb5 286 13 December 2005 09:20 AM

nice 1 :thumb: he obvioulsy thought u realised your mistake and maybe he had no proof of you actually sppeding.

jaytc2003 13 December 2005 09:50 AM

said he gave me a quick flash which I must admit I didnt notice but he said I slowed down just after that (probably due to an icy 80 degree right hander that I was about to take), it was after that when I was on a straight and gave it a little blast that he started flashing (with siren this time).
I think because I stopped within seconds (not slamming on) and because I got out of my car and went to him all apologetic so he didnt have to get of his bike. He didnt bother getting his book out.
I reckon though if I had let him come over to me, he would of had his book to hand.
Didnt even get a producer.

New_scooby_04 13 December 2005 09:51 AM

This is why we need patrols, not scameras. The officer used his discretion: you were speeding, but it was late at night, so the conditions were favourable. You were polite to him, admited you were in the wrong, so he probably figured that a quiet word was all that would be needed to put you back on the straight and narrow.

Do remember though, that this time of year, you get get ice cropping up, so take it easy! We get a several threads on here over each festive season from people saying they've hit ice and damaged/written off their Scooby. Not a nice Xmas present!

Best,

NS04

jaytc2003 13 December 2005 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by 7 Foot
Did you undo a couple of shirt buttons and give it 'the hip wiggle' as you walked over? ;)

didnt do that no but the copper had a handlebar moustache and actually looked like a member of the villiage people!

7 Foot 13 December 2005 10:05 AM

I KNEW IT!!!

FWIW I've been let off for minor speeding by bike cops on a couple of occasions.

jowl 13 December 2005 10:25 AM

How do they know you were speeding? Do the have a camera etc for proof? can they book you without any equipment?

New_scooby_04 13 December 2005 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by jowl
How do they know you were speeding? Do the have a camera etc for proof? can they book you without any equipment?

You'd think so, but IIRC an officer's opinion is sufficient, but dont their need to be two of them in agreement for that to stand? Presumably, he didn't have a passenger! :)

Ns04

jaytc2003 13 December 2005 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
You'd think so, but IIRC an officer's opinion is sufficient, but dont their need to be two of them in agreement for that to stand? Presumably, he didn't have a passenger! :)

Ns04

He had a passenger in his moustache I think! :)

Seriously though, I think they can use their word, I know in my younger days I got pulled by a marked cop car on a dual carriageway for speeding and got a producer (no points though, he wanted my licence but when i got it out of my pocket it fell to bits and he said he wasn't accepting that), he said he had to accelerate// travel above the speed limit to catch me up.

New_scooby_04 13 December 2005 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
He had a passenger in his moustache I think! :)

Seriously though, I think they can use their word, I know in my younger days I got pulled by a marked cop car on a dual carriageway for speeding and got a producer (no points though, he wanted my licence but when i got it out of my pocket it fell to bits and he said he wasn't accepting that), he said he had to accelerate// travel above the speed limit to catch me up.

Would like to hear that conversation:

Officer A: look at that maniac go: he was doing at least 45 in a 30
Officer B: F*ck off, it was at least 47
Officer A: No way- 45
Officer B: I say 47
Officer A: Look, this is getting us no-where, how about a compromise?
Officer B: Very well, 46
Officer A: Agreed- lets get him.
Officers A&B F*ck it! He's got away!!!!! :cry:

:D

NS04

jaytc2003 13 December 2005 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Would like to hear that conversation:

Officer A: look at that maniac go: he was doing at least 45 in a 30
Officer B: F*ck off, it was at least 47
Officer A: No way- 45
Officer B: I say 47
Officer A: Look, this is getting us no-where, how about a compromise?
Officer B: Very well, 46
Officer A: Agreed- lets get him.
Officers A&B F*ck it! He's got away!!!!! :cry:

:D

NS04

:lol1:

rigga 13 December 2005 08:21 PM

as far as im aware a single copper on his own can do you for speeding as the old theory that there needs to be two is invalid,used to be said that there needed to be two to back up the others story,but im led to believe that a single copper has to just back up the speed seen on thei speedo for it to count...as police cars are regulary checked for speedo accuracy the courts will take their view evey time......... rightly or wrongly