ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Knocking sound from rear (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/476925-knocking-sound-from-rear.html)

Ray_li 12 December 2005 10:06 PM

Knocking sound from rear

Everytime I take a corner (left + right) and drive over a pot hole I get a kncking sound from the rear but I can't tell what it is.

I've tried shaking the exhaust but it does not seem to knock on anything but I didn't want to shake it to hard.

I had all four drop links changed at my at service which was 1000 miles ago. Any ideas?

Mark00024 13 December 2005 07:04 AM

Suspension top mounts. They are known to go. Ebay £110 for the pair

Ray_li 13 December 2005 08:35 AM

Sounds expensive to someone that needs a mechanic as well.

Will try and get it booked in to a garage but could it be anything else?

Gridlock Mikey 13 December 2005 09:38 AM

It could be your jack coming loose in your boot. That's what mine turned out to be ;)

Ray_li 13 December 2005 09:51 AM

Looked at that :(

D1CCY 13 December 2005 12:34 PM

Rear seat belt reels rattle in mine. On my previous Scoob the dealer rotated the mountings slightly and cured it.

ShyTot 13 December 2005 12:39 PM

The boot latch can knock when the car twists. You can tighten it up to stop this

The door latches can knock as they move up and down. Again you can test this by carefully moving the door up and down as far as it will go. It can also be adjusted to stop.

BrynO 13 December 2005 04:35 PM

If it's a new age and you have already done the rear drop links, it is most likely the strut tops.. mine do it off and on, I live with it..

Another thought, if you have fitted Powerflex rear drop links, these are known to knock on the rear ARB, you will be able to see if thats it as the paint will be damaged on top of the ARB above the link. You can send them back to Powerflex for modification.

jazzasti 13 December 2005 08:31 PM

could be rear shocks:wonder: :thumb:

grrrr 13 December 2005 08:52 PM

have you thought about wheel bearing trouble ?

Ray_li 13 December 2005 11:09 PM

Subaru or API here I come cuz I can't figure it out

APIDavid 14 December 2005 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ray_li
Subaru or API here I come cuz I can't figure it out

See you later then Ray.

David APi Impreza / APi Engines
www.apiengines.com

Ray_li 17 December 2005 08:14 PM

David

I've been away for a while but I'll speak to you tomorrow at the Cov meet.

rigga 17 December 2005 09:57 PM

go for a drive with someone in the back to help identify where the noise is coming from..... might help to narrow it down a bit

DevilHimSelf 18 December 2005 11:17 AM

i had the same problem, loud knocking noise from rear. It would be when i started in the morning and low revs, be loud, but after a while it would be there but not as loud. So decided to get shocks changed(x4) all around, and when it was finished there was no knocking sound, now its come back and its really pissed me off, i got 4 shocks (€900) and the knocking noise is now intermittent.

Any ideas?