ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   whats this part called? (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/476438-whats-this-part-called.html)

ticky 10 December 2005 12:49 PM

whats this part called?

I am not sure what you call this part?
One either side of the front suspension.
Its connects to the front anti-roll bar & lowerwishbone, looks the a small dog bone.
Mine have both been damaged, so need to replace them.
Is there an aftermarket type replacement?
I also noticed that mine have a rose type joint (ball/socket) but my friends
car has the solid dog bone type with a rubber bush both ends?

Which is better or are they equal?

Thanks Ticky

gljam 10 December 2005 02:22 PM

droplinks??

like the one in the powerstation pic above

Whiteline do uprated solid ones, contact either powerstation or demon tweeks :)

BrynO 10 December 2005 04:29 PM

Yep they are the droplinks.. damaged, how did you do that?

gljam 10 December 2005 06:42 PM

i wondered that as well

if you've damaged them then i would assume your arb will have taken a beating as well, and some other suspension parts :eek:

ticky 10 December 2005 11:50 PM

Ive been currently working on my new project. Basically rebuilding a wagon from a shell.
I removed the whole front drivetrain complete from a damaged saloon. (engine/gearbox with suspension/subframe & even the front wheels) & refitted it to my wagon. Some how the links got damaged in all the lifting & fitting.
The links themselfs look like they are made of metal but after having a closer look at them I found out that the 4 pins which fit into the socket casing are made of plastic.

911 11 December 2005 07:32 AM

You may have the Sti front links which are a steel fabrication with a 'ball socket' each end
There are 4 small (3mm dia) locators to each socket.
If one of the links is broken check the mounting points very carefully for cracks, especially if the lower wishbones are cast aluninium alloy.

Graham.

ticky 11 December 2005 02:40 PM

Thanks Graham,

Yep your right I do have the sti front links & alliminium wishbones.I will check the mounting points as I did not think they could be damaged too.

Ive just been checking the front drop links from whiteline, but noticed that they dont do them for the sti?
Whats the actual difference in regards to the sti, they look a universal fitment for the classic subaru to me. Prefer the steel S shaped jobbies.

911 11 December 2005 06:14 PM

Because the STi all have steel drop linls (WRX/UK cars are plastic) Whiteline don't do Sti replacements.
The Sti ones are good enough for the job!
Graham.

jgevers 12 December 2005 10:14 AM

Hi Graham,

Whiteline has finished endurance testing on their new range of adjustable, rose jointed drop links. These will come with dust boots and will allow any pre-load to be adjusted out of the anti roll bar.

http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/bul.../113_links.pdf

They should be in the UK in January.

Cheers,

Job

Mo 12 December 2005 10:29 AM

STi drop links

On a budget I'd try to get a second hand set from somewhere like HDC, but should you wish to purchase new take a look here on Noltecs website. Looks like they do drop links for the STi - PN N22509

911 12 December 2005 12:45 PM

Job: They look good!
On my 911 I cut off one of the rubber bushes and threaded the steel link rod (M8) and used a rose joint on the free end to allow the car to be corner weighted and the bars fitted without bind.
Technically you only need one per bar so long as the stiffness in compression is the same (which if all parts are in steel will be so for all intent and purposes)
The Sti front links are very short so maybe this approach cannot be done.

Graham.

jgevers 12 December 2005 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by 911
Job: They look good!
On my 911 I cut off one of the rubber bushes and threaded the steel link rod (M8) and used a rose joint on the free end to allow the car to be corner weighted and the bars fitted without bind.
Technically you only need one per bar so long as the stiffness in compression is the same (which if all parts are in steel will be so for all intent and purposes)
The Sti front links are very short so maybe this approach cannot be done.

Graham.

For the shortest applications Whiteline use a female rosejoint and a male rosejoint screwed into each other with a locknut.
The rosejoints Whiteline use are made specially for them. After about 30000 KM (about 10 K on dirt roads) there is still no noise or play. And that is without the dustboots that they have for the UK roads. So they shouldn't wear out as quick as some cheap spherical joints...........

Cheers,

Job